Search results

1. B

2024 WA Coastal Steelhead Regs

NEWS RELEASE Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Nov. 30, 2023 Contact: Coastal Region – Montesano, 360-249-4628 Media contact: Bridget Mire, 564-224-0845 WDFW announces 2023-2024 coastal steelhead season Department to test fishing from a floating device in some waters...
  2. B

Dismal on the 'Duc - Coho management failure

I've been torn on whether to share my thoughts on this or not as I'm sure I don't have all the facts and background context. So take this with a grain of salt as being written by a semi-local who is acquainted with a bunch of Forks anglers and guides and who is also pretty fed up with the WDFW...
  3. B

PSA - Very nice property on the Sol Duc on the market

Several folks have asked me to keep an eye out for cool river properties on the OP. Just saw this property came on the market. Nowhere near cheap but would be an amazing buy for someone interested in fishing and other outdoor activities on the North OP. Great salmon fishing right out back and...
  4. B

Chad Brown makes Expedition Portal

I don't know Chad but have appreciated his work form a distance. The profile on Expedition Portal was pretty cool. https://expeditionportal.com/the-healing-power-of-nature-video-of-the-week/ Is Chad on this site? If so, congrats!
  5. B

NFR Hummer Battles

We always have a few around but I’ve never seen this many here at once. Maybe migrants stopping by on their way back north? Anna’s are resident but these look like several Rufous are mixed in. They are on track to drain this whole feeder in one day. Not quite the giant swarms of Ruby Throats...
  6. B

Permanent April closure on the OP to protect...

...Chinook? WTF? https://nwsportsmanmag.com/wdfw-23-24-regs-would-close-hoh-quillayute-in-april/ https://nwsportsmanmag.com/wdfw-urged-to-withdraw-april-hoh-quillayute-steelhead-closures/ Not sure if WDFW are idiots or liars or both. My layman's take: Quilleute: 1) Spring chinook in the...
  7. B

First springer of the season

Treated a friend to to a day of springer fishing on Saturday are repayment for wiring the electricals in my new pump house. It felt like early days in the season as I heard opening day last Monday was really good but slim pickens since. We managed to land three on floats on the move, all in...
  8. B

Cedar River - Rainbow Bend Restoration Project

I've been meaning to post about this since I drive by it on my commute to work - just been too lazy to stop and take photos. The transformation is pretty amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks as the planting grows in and matures...
  9. B

FS Clackacraft Big Eddy 360/Yeti (2021)

SALE PENDING Clackacraft Big Eddy with 360 interior with Yeti cooler front seat for sale. Excellent+ condition. I ordered this boat with the Yakima and periodic trips to the Hoh/Bogachiel in mind. Removable rear box/seat and thigh guard. I generally float with one person and my dog so this is...
  10. B

Last solo float for winter '23

My custom for a good number of years now is to book a lesson with my 'fishing coach' the last day of the season to fish but more importantly to debrief and consolidate what I learned over the previous 3 months of fishing. So, I still have that to look forward to next week but I also wanted to...
  11. B

Happy Vernal Equinox!

Wishing everyone a great spring as we come out of the long winter even though it sure doesn't feel like it this morning in the Maple Valley environs. I'll be fishing as much as possible the next couple weeks before the coastal rivers close then shifting focus to gardening/landscaping for six...
  12. B

Streamlining my boat options - NRS Slipstream 96??

Right now my river boat quiver consists of: Clacka Big Eddy Maravia Scout 13' w/ NRS fishing frame Catchercraft Freestone w/ deluxe frame Outcast Clearwater Outcast Commander (original version) I don't have enough covered space for all these now that I bought a tractor and have a growing set...
  13. B

Cautionary Tale - I found a dead angler in the SolDuc this morning

I was floating my home water this morning with a friend visiting from So. Oregon. As we were moving down from our first run, we noticed something sticking up in the knee deep water. It was blue and looked like some of the random things that get washed down the river until we got close. I was in...
  14. B

Blockage on the Sol Duc

I've been wondering why I haven't been seeing any boats and found out yesterday. There is full width blockage on the hatchery drift on the SolDuc at Lower Connelly's (about mid way between the hatchery and takeout at Maxfield). There is a notice by the launch at the hatchery but it's a...
  15. B

FS Outcast Clearwater - Used Once

For sale - Outcast Clearwater Perfect condition. Used exactly one time on a short float. Obvious question - why are you selling it? I have too many boats, especially small ones. Prior to purchasing the Clearwater, I already had an Outcast Commander and a Catchercraft Freestone w/ deluxe frame...
  16. B

Right next to all the way big...

Was out for a trip with my friend and fishing coach on Friday who is always quick with the turn of phrase. Earlier in the fight, he remarked "for a sec I thought that one was all the way big".
  17. B

Careful out there - OP water hazards

For those of you that might be coming out to the OP for DIY floats without a local guide - be careful, take the time to scout where you don't have forward visibility and don't assume the easy line is still easy. The big flows haven't been as bad this year at least in the Forks area but there is...
  18. B

NFR Question for the surfers in the group who are familiar with Costa Rica

Non-fishing question I know there are a bunch of surfers here from some of the 'other hobby' posts which makes sense as fishing feels like part of being a waterman. Any of y'all surfed Pavones? I spend a couple weeks up north in Guanacaste in February every year based at Playa Grande with...
  19. B

Proposed Coastal Steelhead Rules

Apologies if this has already been posted. The proposed rule presentation from the WDFW town halls. https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2022-11/112822coastalsteelheadppt.pdf • Willapa System-Open December 1-March 31 (select tributaries Feb. 28th), selective gear rules, single point...
  20. B

First float in the Big Eddy

I haven't seen to many Big Eddy's on the water so decided to share my expereince. I sold my Clack standard side WF a number of years back since I had a raft and the hard boat wasn't getting used much. When we bought a place on the river last year, I ordered a new Clack since it'd be more...