First float in the Big Eddy

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
I haven't seen to many Big Eddy's on the water so decided to share my expereince.

I sold my Clack standard side WF a number of years back since I had a raft and the hard boat wasn't getting used much. When we bought a place on the river last year, I ordered a new Clack since it'd be more comfortable than my raft (Maravia Scout) for guests, dog, etc. I'm not confident enough with my rowing to use it on the 'Duc/Calawah where i stick to rafts but wanted it for the Bogey, Hoh, Yakima, whatever.

I knew the WF model pretty well and rented an Eddy from Red's and I had ridden but not rowed a friends Max. I went with the Big Eddy for the hull shape and higher sides for a little more margin of error. The interior is the 360 with the Yeti 45 front seat option. I'm super pleased how it worked out for my use. The wife, Yuki and I did a quick combo spring chinook(gear) / trout (fly) float on the lower river to get things set up and give her a chance to try out rowing a bit for the first time in a while. The one spinger bite didn't stick but the trout were more cooperative. The interior design is great for the dog to be able to move around which was a pain in the ass in the WF. It might be me justifying my choice but I do think the stern design helps with backrowing compared to the WF. I'm a crappy rower and was able to hold position, row back up and crab around pretty good the first try, at least on that flat water.

It was also my first time using the way too expensive Tornado Anchor but it worked as advertised stopping and holding the boat very quickly on the smooth gravel bottom.

It was a 6mo wait to get the boat but the Clackacraft folks were great on customer service and did a pretty good job putting together a 'Bama Colors' scheme for me. 🐘

IMG_2019.jpg

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
When you mentioned the Big Eddy. My mind drifted to the big eddy on the Main Skykomish. If you would of mentioned that it was a drift boat I wouldn't of had to type this shitty note.:poop::poop:

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
When you mentioned the Big Eddy. My mind drifted to the big eddy on the Main Skykomish. If you would of mentioned that it was a drift boat I wouldn't of had to type this shitty note.:poop::poop:
Well if if there are ever any fish in the Sky while I'm still fit enough to row, I'll do a trip from Big Eddy to Sultan in my Big Eddy driftboat in your honor as that's my favorite run on that river. 😜

Jim Allen

Steelhead
I own a 2019 WF 360 model and love it. If I were looking for new, a Big Eddy would be a top contender. It a Clackacraft so you cannot go wrong. Congratulations and Enjoy. Yuki looks like he approves as well. Coach Nick would approve of your color selection as well.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Great boats, would be my next boat if I was to get another one!