The "How was your weekend?" thread...

Doublebluff

As sure as your sorrows are joys
Forum Supporter
I had one explode in a parking lot once when I tried to start my older pickup. Agreed, it was a mess.

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Last weekend was baseball, this weekend will be baseball. Basically baseball 7 days a week right now. My 13yo plays on his Jr. High team. My 10yo plays Little League and is on a Club team. I am on the Little League Board and coach my 10yo's Minors team. Last weekend was Little League game Saturday, then Club double header on Sunday in the Tri-Cities. This weekend is Little League Friday night, then Club "Bombs for Moms" tourney Sat & Sun in the Tri Cities again. Let me tell you how excited my wife is that they named (and decided to have) a tournament for Mothers day...

It's fun though, cuts into the fishing time a bit, but I do enjoy baseball and coaching and teaching kids the game. 13yo school team is undefeated, and they are fun to watch. Our Minors team is also 5-0. My son is a lefty pitcher, and he has thrown a no-hitter (with only 2 walks, 55 pitches 4 innings), a 1 hit shutout, and last night I only pitched him 2 innings so he can pitch again tomorrow and this weekend...no hits, no runs, 1 walk, and Stat wise he got the win, so 3-0. He also hit an inside the park Home run last night, which was fun. We play a really good team tomorrow night, should be a good game.

Between that, and work, I have been tying these. I head to the Green River in Utah next week for 3 days of guided fishing. I will miss coaching 2 games...a little bummed about that, but I am coaching with my neighbor (and good buddy) and we work well togethor. This is just the nymph side of 1 box, and my dry box. I also have a streamer box I am trying to finish up, and the other side of the nymph box is soft hackles and emergers. 34 dozen so far...hopefully 1 of my flies works, haha!
DSC_0169 - edit 1 (1).jpg
DSC_0157 - edit 1 (1).jpg

Turns out taking a picture of a whole box of flies is more difficult than taking a picture of an individual fly...can't really see what all is in there.

And then here is my sons Club team last weekend. Lost their first, won their second. This was in between games.

20220501_150756.jpg

My son has the sideways hat...of course...

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
This weekend stinks. Mrs. Zak has COVID for Mother's Day. She started getting sick on Wednesday and got really sick on Thursday. She took one of those 15-minute at home COVID tests on Friday and it came back negative, so we figured it was the flu. On Saturday, her throat got really sore and so we thought it was strep throat. Early Sunday morning she was sicker than I've ever seen her and we went to the walk in clinic.

Not strep, but COVID. Also severe dehydration. IV fluids with meds for a few hours. We are back home now, tryin the to work out a quarantine system. The meds helped my wife sleep today. Doctor said my daughter and I are very likely to get it.

We were so careful! Double vaxxed and boosted, we still wear masks in stores, my wife's a nurse and used precautions at work.

One takeaway: the at home tests might be accurate as to positive results, but can give false negatives. Another: the doctor said these new variants are very contagious (when, not if, everyone will get the Rona).

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
This weekend stinks. Mrs. Zak has COVID for Mother's Day. She started getting sick on Wednesday and got really sick on Thursday. She took one of those 15-minute at home COVID tests on Friday and it came back negative, so we figured it was the flu. On Saturday, her throat got really sore and asked we thought it was strep throat. Early Sunday morning she was sicker than I've ever seen her and we went to the walk in clinic.

Not strep, but COVID. Also severe dehydration. IV fluids with meds for a few hours. We are back home now, tryin the to work out a quarantine system. The meds helped my wife sleep today. Doctor said my daughter and I are very likely to get it.

We were so careful! Double vaxxed and boosted, we still wear masks in stores, my wife's a nurse and used precautions at work.

One takeaway: the at home tests might be accurate as to positive results, but can give false negatives. Another: the doctor said these new variants are very contagious (when, not if, everyone will get the Rona).
Hope she feels better and that if/when the rest of your fam gets it, that your symptoms are mild.

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This weekend stinks. Mrs. Zak has COVID for Mother's Day. She started getting sick on Wednesday and got really sick on Thursday. She took one of those 15-minute at home COVID tests on Friday and it came back negative, so we figured it was the flu. On Saturday, her throat got really sore and asked we thought it was strep throat. Early Sunday morning she was sicker than I've ever seen her and we went to the walk in clinic.

Bummer! I just got over my own case. By itself it was really no big deal, but it also happened during a bad bout of sciatica, and that was bad! Take care of yourselves. Not too long ago this virus was causing people big trouble. The vax has really helped mitigate the severity.

BCO

Steelhead
As I was making morning coffee, my wife says there's something strange lying in the driveway in front of the travel trailer so I went out to investigate. It was the cap of the battery case and then I saw that the battery had exploded spreading bits and pieces all over, some clear out to the middle of the street. Acid was draining all over the driveway. A real clean up mess. We were planning a short trip so needed to get things fixed quickly.
Still don't know what caused it but ended up replacing both batteries and one new case and strap to the tune of $322. Spent a lot of time with the hose spraying the front end of the trailer and the back of the propane tank cover and the concrete driveway which has wild looking white stains. I had to pick up the remains of the battery and double bag it in garbage bags to haul to battery exchange and managed to get only get two holes in my cargo shorts. Hopefully next weekend will be more fun. My stepson says he's never heard of a battery exploding before but it happened one other time to me in an old chevy pickup I used to have. Anyone else ever experience an exploding battery before?. Kinda curious.
Blew one up trying to jumpstart a race car. Three hundred mile round trip to miss qualifying. Threw a spare in the trailer after that.

Tallguy

Steelhead
Anyone else ever experience an exploding battery before?. Kinda curious.
My dad, never one to think the danger/caution warnings actually were there for a good reason, badly damaged his eyesight when he held a hot bare bulb worklight near our car battery to check the water levels in it. The battery then exploded into his face when the hydrogen gas build up hit the hot bulb. This was a couple decades ago before fully sealed batteries were common. Batteries evolve hydrogen gas over time which can build up in enclosed spaces, and so if you have a spark or heat source present when enough hydrogen gas is around, you can get a solid and dangerous explosion.

Check for a short or heat source near your batteries? I would almost be more concerned about what set off the explosion than the fact it happened. Depending on battery type and enclosure design, it might happen again.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My dad, never one to think the danger/caution warnings actually were there for a good reason, badly damaged his eyesight when he held a hot bare bulb worklight near our car battery to check the water levels in it. The battery then exploded into his face when the hydrogen gas build up hit the hot bulb. This was a couple decades ago before fully sealed batteries were common. Batteries evolve hydrogen gas over time which can build up in enclosed spaces, and so if you have a spark or heat source present when enough hydrogen gas is around, you can get a solid and dangerous explosion.

Check for a short or heat source near your batteries? I would almost be more concerned about what set off the explosion than the fact it happened. Depending on battery type and enclosure design, it might happen again.
I took the RV up to the battery place where I bought them. Replaced both and had it rewired. They were 6 yrs old which they said might have been a contributing factor. We never went anywhere during the pandemic so they sat a long time unused. Hopefully it won't happen again. Thanks for the post. Interesting stuff.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Another: the doctor said these new variants are very contagious (when, not if, everyone will get the Rona).
best wishes for the rapid recovery of your wife, Zak, and hopefully minimal/zero illness for the rest of the family...good thing she was fully vaxxed and boosted.

epidemiologists have been quite clear that covid will be doing laps around the world for years to come, mutating as it goes, and we'll all encounter a variant sooner or later.

Reactions: Zak