The "How was your weekend?" thread...

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I had a decent weekend. Took a kid down to my little hometown for a birthday party and fished a lake there while he was with his friends. Just caught a bunch of perch though, no bass. Other kid and I stopped by a neighborhood firepit for smores and a beer. Then kicked the kids over to their grandparents for the evening so the wife and I could get take-out and have some time together. Sunday an old friend came to town for the afternoon with her kids and I took my youngest down to the arcade and we all hung out playing skeeball and air hockey.

And I mowed the lawn and picked up dog poop (not in that order) and did a bunch of boring dadlife house chores.

IMG_1114.jpg

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Weekend was filled with this sort of thing. Really good lingcod fishing topped off with insane shallow water rockfish. Lots of fun.

_DSC5850-01.jpeg

Had pretty good weather over the weekend down here in Westport. I'm off the next few days so naturally it's just dumping rain. Prepping gear for Thursdays Halibut opener even though at this point the weather doesn't look too promising.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Friday I picked up the older one from school, and later we all played games
20220429_182741.jpg
Saturday was baseball and legos
output_image1651194952866.jpg
and on sunday I got to play in the rain
20220430_092715.jpg

Golfed after work on Friday, went to the gun range Saturday, and golfed again after church on Sunday. I should have been working on my boat so I can go hit some lakes but it was just too nice not to get out and play.

I scored 100 on 18 holes both days. Started the season shooting in the 120s, and hoping to end in the mid 80's. Glad I'm making progress. Bought the season pass for the first time at my local course. I played so much in April that I've already broke even on what I would have paid if I was paying each time. The rest of the season is "free" golf.

Sighted in my wife's 7mm-08, which I actually think I'm going to use this year as my deer rifle since it's a youth model and super light compared to my old 30-06. Shot clays with Dad. Shot both of the ARs built this year. I was having issues with one of them extracting the spent case but not feeding the next, so I'll have to figure that out.

Pretty great weekend, even if I didn't fish.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Had a really fun weekend. I snuck out to a local smallie spot for a couple of early morning hours, got skunked. Went home with plenty of time to make breakfast for the family. We met up with some friends later on.

Sunday, I went tiger musky hunting. While none fully committed, I almost got one boat side. The importance of a good figure 8 at the boat is paramount. I screwed up on my second turn and the fish saw me instead of focusing on the fly.
PXL_20220501_212613950~2.jpg
I might a touch sadistic, but part of me want to see one of these get blown up. Risky business swimming all of the way across the bay to get to their parents, who apparently are either "free range parents" or meth heads who are 100% neglectful.
PXL_20220501_174243292.MP~3.jpg

Then there was the by-catch. Had me fooled for a few moments.
PXL_20220501_171728346~2.jpg
IMG_20220501_153758_735.jpg

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Last week I was accepted into the Covid club (without ever even applying!). After a week of isolation I was able to get out and fish.

Beautiful day, a handful of fish in one of my all-time favorite rivers (the big D) and feeling normal (-ish). Does it get much better?

I am reminded of what we were all going through not much more than a year ago... there is much to feel grateful for!

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Felt the need to put a bend in the rod so took the easy way out on Friday afternoon and caught some stockers in the local lake. In spite of their hatchery heritage, they were full of vim and vigor and were good jumpers when hooked and they satisfied the itch.

1651522414735.png

The next day my wife and I took a little hike along one of our closed rivers. Lots of fry in the shallows, and many rises midriver from what I suspect were smolts.

1651522566868.png

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
No real fishing for me this weekend.
A good part of Saturday went to washing Seeps dust and mud off my van, kayak, and trailer, along with regular chores. Hubby and I ordered Pad Thai and spent the evening playing gin. I won :cool:

Sunday, FishingGirl and I drove around evaluating Tacoma/Auburn area lake parks to choose a location for a Mayfly Project one day event. Looooooots of folks out fishing from the docks for new stockers!
Made breakfast-scramble burritos for dinner, with fresh eggs from FishingGirl's chickens, and went for the gin rematch. He won :confused:

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Friday evening got a rehearsal in for the first Chukar Pluckers gig of the year. We’re playing in the Iron Horse Brewery Beer Garden at the Bares and Broncs in Eburg in a couple weeks. Should be a fun event. Saturday was chores day and cooked a batch of ginger shrimp for my family. Sunday got a hike in with another family then snuck out to fish a local lake before dark. No real flurry at sunset but got 6 decent rainbows to hand. Solid weekend.
8D9B3083-0788-4A26-8BE5-B5397C480A68.jpeg

longputt

Steelhead
Started Saturday by losing 4 straight smallmouth...not sure that's every happened before! Then sight fished some good sized LMB but they were having no part of my flies, I was even able to hit a few with the fly...no takers.

Then watched some fish rising that sure looked like trout...dug around my bass fly box and found a small leech and caught many of these:

1651535647123.png

There is no record of stocking this reservoir? Not sure when they were released but they sure looked like planted trout to me.

Went back Sunday and tried different flies for the LMB...no luck...but a nice warm day led to a lakeside nap!

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
I got a new boot on Saturday morning.

I’ve been fishing a couple of my favorite places here in PA the past several weeks that require walking in a few miles, followed by wading in very uneven, rocky bottom streams.

As a result, my left foot, ankle, and lower leg were really sore 2 weeks ago. That didn’t slow me down much though. Last week, I wrapped my foot and ankle with an ace bandage and was back at it. The fishing has been pretty good. Actually, really good.

By the time I got home last Thursday night after the another 2 day fishing trip my left foot and ankle were swollen a bit. Friday, it looked and felt worse.

I was the first person through the door when the Orthopedic Urgent Care center opened Saturday morning.
After an exam and x-rays, they sent me to the hospital for an ultrasound of my leg to make sure there were no blood clots.

Everything came out okay. No stress fractures, No blood clots. Probably just a good ole fashioned sprain.
The Doc told me to keep off my feet as much as possible this week, and when I do have to go out I’m supposed to wear this new boot.

038BE212-A80F-4584-855D-2E0AE7843C23.jpeg

The swelling has gone down completely now, and all of the pain has disappeared already. That just proves that fishing is good for your health. I can’t possibly just sit here doing nothing. I think I’ll go back out fishing again on Wednesday.