Search results

1. Grandpa Jim

River Snorkeling with Cutthroat

That school seems to be hanging over the lighter colored bottom rather than the adjacent cobble. Is that bottom bedrock or sand? The fish look in pretty good shape. Do you think that they are pre or post spawn?
  2. Grandpa Jim

It finally happened, almost

Congratulations and well done! I've been at the OP steelhead game since 2011, gear and swung fly. I've had plenty of failures and just enough success to keep me coming back. You chose the river and run to fish, you floated the river to that run, you picked the sink tip and fly for the run...
  3. Grandpa Jim

2024 Skagit Steelhead

Got back late last night after 2 days of chasing steelhead from bank on OP. Rivers very low. We need a big high water event to get a pulse of fish past the nets and up into the rivers.
  4. Grandpa Jim

Run Etiquette

I try to minimize the possibility of encounters with other anglers in rivers. I'm more of a solitary angler, anyway. For OP steelhead I deliberately fish spots that take some walking or are a pain to get to, for both gear and fly. That eliminates much of my bank competition. If I see a...
  5. Grandpa Jim

Sage rods repair turnaround time

I've had 2 experiences recently with returning a rod for repair under "warranty". I have never broken a rod before (other than running over my Sage Foundation with my car...which I didn't claim under warranty). Sage: I have a Sonic 9'6" 6 wt. that I have used exclusively for beach salmon the...
  6. Grandpa Jim

Too many humpies daddy!

Wonderful!
  7. Grandpa Jim

Hood Canal Sea-Run Cutthroat

Exploring is all part of the fishing game for me...but maybe not for others. I must confess that I will check out YouTube OP steelhead videos looking for new bank spots or to glean information on what to look for in a productive run. A couple years ago I watched an OP steelhead video that...
  8. Grandpa Jim

Puget Sound

Thanks! It's interesting to see the how the wind varies so much in direction at different locations. Tomorrow looks much better than today!
  9. Grandpa Jim

Puget Sound

Do you have a link to that weather website? I really like all the info on the wind! I'm often surprised at direction and velocity of wind at beaches once the sun is up.
  10. Grandpa Jim

Puget Sound

Here's my "flasher" story: Last summer, about a dozen of us fly fisherman hopefuls were casting over the eel grass flats on an Area 9 beach. Off to the left a moving chartreuse flasher appeared just under the surface and just outside casting range. After passing a few casters the towed flasher...
  11. Grandpa Jim

Puget Sound

My 2 cents on reducing "bad luck": Watch guys who are "fishy" and try to mimic what they are doing. Get to know them and ask them questions. Jasmillo has been very helpful to me with increasing my fly catch rate. I have also gleaned a ton of information by reading this site regularly. I...
  12. Grandpa Jim

Puget Sound

Nice! Starting to change appearance now as they move further into the Sound. The pinks I was catching from the beach last week in Area 9 were super chrome. Not as many around now on the Area 9 beaches I fish. Last one I landed was 3 days ago.
  13. Grandpa Jim

Puget Sound

I was next to you for a bit this afternoon. Looks like I left too early. Not the first time I've said that this season.
  14. Grandpa Jim

Ocean Coho Leaders

This is what we have been talking about. I use a bigger perfection loop...maybe 1" in diameter so I can get even a big stinger clouser through it. You might have to play around with getting the knot back through the fly line loop and then making sure it all lines up like above. Once you get...
  15. Grandpa Jim

Ocean Coho Leaders

3 chum seasons ago I decided to use up some older PLine fluorocarbon that I was no longer fishing. I found that I had fewer break-offs with the 15 lb. PLine fluorocarbon than with the 15 lb. Maxima UltraGreen mono I was using. Surprised me. I've been using fluorocarbon in the salt ever since...
  16. Grandpa Jim

Been a while....

My favorite way to fish OP steelhead is swinging a wet fly with a spey/switch late in the season when the weather and water are more pleasant. With the WDFW closing the late fishery in recent years I've added swinging a spoon to my early season tactics. A tight line grab at least... I use...
  17. Grandpa Jim

Few coho smolts and bait in Area 9 & 10 this season?

Thanks for all of your thoughts! Interesting how some are seeing smolts and bait, and others like me are not. Kind of a mystery at times... Encouraging though that smolts are still about! The three times I have been out my experience has been that "drive by" small pods of this year's resident...
  18. Grandpa Jim

Few coho smolts and bait in Area 9 & 10 this season?

This is my 4th season fly fishing fishing for resident and returning coho from my local beaches on the Kitsap County side of Area 9 & 10. I don't have a long term perspective on this fishery like many on this forum have. I've always seen and hooked a lot of coho smolts early in the season...
  19. Grandpa Jim

What's your fishing rig?

2001 Honda Civic with 227000 miles. Not picture worthy
  20. Grandpa Jim

Attaching Fly Line to Backing (Welded Loop?)

I use 30 lb. Dacron backing and tie a big loop bowline knot (loop to loop) into the fly line loop. I really cinch the knot down. To change out a fly line I just snip the Dacron backing line at the knot and tie in another bowline knot (loop to loop) into the loop on the back of my new fly line...