Puget Sound

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Not my picture, but speaking of lost flashers and chasing them down. Hard pass for me on this one. šŸ˜‚
SF

IMG_4502.jpeg

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I started tying on shanks because I was worried about the sheared off portion of metal weakening the stinger material. Never had that be an issue so probably unfounded. Two other benefits of waddington shanks for me. They are heavier and so it feels like I can use smaller eyes. Also good for when I tie clouser like stinger flies but with no dumbell eyes. That pattern has been my go to this year. Also, flat surface is easy to tie on. Its really easy attaching dumbell eyes to a waddington shank, which when I first started tying was a big deal to me. Not as much anymore. Cons: they can be pricey.

Wiznet

Steelhead
Yall could probably use electric shrink wrap on the end if the sheared metal is a big concern. Put a bit of tubing on the end, heat it, and be done.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Seeing @jasmillo flies I transitioned to shanks too. The stinger trailer line does lay down really nicely on top and bottom of the shank, dumbell eyes too.
Another plus, since the length of the shanks are longer vs clipped front hook, the length of the trailing hook line is now much shorter making it harder to foul wrap itself.

Last edited:

holtad

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I'm with Nick on this. I'm a hook clipper myself and can say I've ever noticed any issue with the loop or bucktail getting broken by it.
I do tie my stingers a bit differently thought then a standard clousers. I tie the underwing flash onto the hook shank before adding the belly bucktail, rather then adding it up front under the wing. Maybe the jagged edge of the cut off hook can't as easily damage the flash versus bucktail?
I'm not sure and I really don't think it would matter either way regardless of how they are tied. Mustad DT hooks are cheap so I'll continue to use and cut them off since I have a lot on hand.
Some bucktails can be more brittle then others. Dinging the beach will break it as well. Still way better then any synthetic I've ever used for clousers.
SF.
I tend to I damage the hook points hitting off the beach waaay faster than the bucktail gets damaged. Could just be my poor casting! But I also get very paranoid about a dull hook point so I often re-tie if the point feels dull at all. I tried using hook sharpener, but never felt like i could really get back to that really biting'ly sharp point with it.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
This is one hack I use.
I tie a stinger loop into my clousers and don't always clip the hook.
When I use my non stinger clouser and bend or break the hook I can then clip the hook shank and have a loop for a new stinger hook.
I'm curious what size stinger hook our saltwater buddy's use for coho.

Attachments

• 20230824_131730.jpg
    20230824_131730.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230824_131803.jpg
    20230824_131803.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 48

N. Metz

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
As others have said, probably a combo of bad luck combined with the potential for some less aggressive fish. I am still consistently hooking pinks from shore when they come within casting distance. I have noticed some are already getting humpy and bronzy but not sure that makes a difference. I know people catch them in rivers. Keep at it and it will pay off. Fly fishing is a very effective way to target salmon for the beach. I watched the same fly fisherman out-fish the entire beach by himself (other fly guys, hardware and herring) multiple days in a row recently. Not sure what his program is exactly but itā€™s working, as well or better than any I have ever witnessed, gear or fly.
Growing up I distinctly remember fishing lakes with chironomids and even with my float tube tied to this individuals, using his fly's (I was like 8), down the same depth, I didn't catch as many fish. Even when I used his rod and he used mine, he'd start out-fishing me with my own rod.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I tend to I damage the hook points hitting off the beach waaay faster than the bucktail gets damaged. Could just be my poor casting! But I also get very paranoid about a dull hook point so I often re-tie if the point feels dull at all. I tried using hook sharpener, but never felt like i could really get back to that really biting'ly sharp point with it.
Tube flies, my friend. Tube flies.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Growing up I distinctly remember fishing lakes with chironomids and even with my float tube tied to this individuals, using his fly's (I was like 8), down the same depth, I didn't catch as many fish. Even when I used his rod and he used mine, he'd start out-fishing me with my own rod.

You did not do so bad yourself at least one of those days ;). I was the guy fishing to your right a bunch that day.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Iā€™ve really liked switching to tying onto shanks instead of hooks for my stinger clousers. Despite various attempted fixes I always felt that the jagged metal where I clipped off the front hook was problematic. It shears the bucktail off among other things. I tried covering it with UV resin but that quickly falls off. Tried clipping all the way to the thread but that risks unraveling the thread. I saw a whats in your vise post where @jasmillo was tying them on shanks and thought ā€œyep, thatā€™s it.ā€

I know others fish clipped hooks without much problem though. Curious if thereā€™s an easy fix Iā€™m missing.
Since the first time I cut a hook on a stinger pattern I've had that same thought about the jagged edge. However I can honestly say I've never once seen it cause an issue so at some point I just stopped worrying about it.
I'm with Nick on this. I'm a hook clipper myself and can say I've ever noticed any issue with the loop or bucktail getting broken by it.
I do tie my stingers a bit differently thought then a standard clousers. I tie the underwing flash onto the hook shank before adding the belly bucktail, rather then adding it up front under the wing. Maybe the jagged edge of the cut off hook can't as easily damage the flash versus bucktail?
I'm not sure and I really don't think it would matter either way regardless of how they are tied. Mustad DT hooks are cheap so I'll continue to use and cut them off since I have a lot on hand.
Some bucktails can be more brittle then others. Dinging the beach will break it as well. Still way better then any synthetic I've ever used for clousers.
SF.
Oh man, I always worried about that. Iā€™m a worrier I guess. So what I do is I use my bench hook hone to file it roundish/smooth enough. I pull the tail materials back between thumb and forefinger to expose the cut off hook and just hit it four to eight times or so in various directions until itā€˜s smooth.
I use stiff fluoro for my stingers. As fat as I can loop through the hook. That keeps the hook where I want it.
I use bucktail like a fouling guard for tailing materials. Sometimes I want to use something with more movement in the tail but I always try to tie some bucktail in first.

Grandpa Jim

Steelhead
Great that you found some fish! Two years ago, almost to the day, I posted the text below on the "Lost, Found & Stolen" section of the old WFF site...I am still waiting for the rightful owner...Based on replies from other members about similar sightings, it must happen quite often, as crazy as it seems when you see it.

Found flasher towed by Chinook in Central Puget Sound, August 14, 2021

Found a nice trolling flasher going southbound at the surface in about 150 feet of water while sight casting for pink salmon, from a boat in central Puget Sound this morning. Upon careful approach it was determined that said flasher was being towed by a large chinook salmon, and at a good pace. It was also determined that trying to hook the flasher with a 6wt and lighter tippet, although sporty, it could be foolish. Instead, a couple of attempts were made to approach the flasher from different angles and either use a boat hook on the flasher, or outright net the fish. However, the fish managed to match and outmaneuver all attempts, including the help of a fellow boater that passed by and found all the commotion, net flying, crazy boat turning.... intriguing and who did not want to miss on the fish wrangling. Eventually, I remembered we had my kid's spinning rod outfitted with a buzzbomb stowed in the boat. Half a dozen casts later we managed to hook the leader between the flasher and the king salmon, play the fish (which still had a lot of energy left!) and get everything to the boat.
Please provide a description of the brand, size and color of the flasher and type/color of lure, as well as type of mainline and all efforts will be made to return the missing gear to the rightful owner. We regret to inform that the king salmon will not be returned. A story of how and where this flasher was lost will be extra credit. ;)
Here's my "flasher" story:
Last summer, about a dozen of us fly fisherman hopefuls were casting over the eel grass flats on an Area 9 beach. Off to the left a moving chartreuse flasher appeared just under the surface and just outside casting range. After passing a few casters the towed flasher made a turn towards the beach. As it came into range most everybody took a shot with a cast, trying to snag the leader between fish and flasher. No success. The towed flasher then made a bee line between me and the guy to my left. We each fired off a cast. Again, no success with snagging the leader. The fish then came towards me and circled around between me and the beach. I did a pirouette and made a lunge towards the leader. Unfortunately, I lost my balance and did a complete face plant into the water along with my rod and striping basket. Fortunately, I came up out of the water with the leader and flasher in my hand...and did not break my fly rod in the process. The fish, a large king, was tired and did not go nuts. Mike, the fisherman to the right of me and I were able to corral the king, and quickly unhook and release him. There were no seals around and it swam off to hopefully fulfill it's life mission on the spawning grounds. The flasher and gear were offered up to any around. One guy with a boat and a possible need for a flasher "rogered up" and was rewarded with the retrieved gear.
That was the major fish good deed for Mike and I last year!
I've fished close to Mike 2-3 times this year. It seems that Mike has been rewarded for last year's good deed. Calling Mike a "fish vacuum" this year would not be a misstatement, as several posters on this site can attest. It seems like whatever "fly de jour" that Mike throws out there attracts every salmon on the beach...even more so than sumptuous cut plug herring!
As for me, I am still waiting on a reward for last year's good deed...

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Another short session this morning, the pinks are still around same as yesterday. Some were jumping far out but a few pods swam close by shore. It was pretty much sight casting ahead of their showing fins.
6/6 kept 2 bigger ones, a fat chrome female and a big buck.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Hit the beach for a couple of hours this morning before work. 3-5 give or take :). Two fish popped off as I was prematurely dragging them up on the beach and away from a seal that was hot on their asses. One was a nice humpy, the other a solid coho. Lost another coho also horsing too much in case the seal came back (he was patrolling the beach all morning ). The last fish hooked was when I was reeling up to leave. No idea what species but it was heavy. Throughout the morning, lots of bumps with no hookups on my stinger fly. Assume they were pinks maybe hitting the body and missing the stinger?? Was able to bring home a 3 lb coho for the freezer through all the shannanigins.

So, only physically touched one fish but would have landed the two I was trying to beach prematurely if I had the time to bring them in appropriately. Both were half out of water when they popped off. Still not a bad morning!

Last edited:

Theron

Keeper of the bees
Just finishing up a trip on Whidbey Island, where I was able to to try salmon fishing for the first time. No specific species in mind, but ā€œexpectingā€ pinks since that was what everyone around us was catching. But we got absolutely skunked! Weā€™re a group of 3 and combined had 15+ hours of fly fishing in, and not a single salmon, not even a biteā€¦ We tried everything we could think of, and tried to implement everything we could read about! We were hitting all the popular beachesā€¦ Lagoon Point North, Bush Point, the state park, Driftwood park by the ferry. Our only thought is we just couldnā€™t get a fly out far enough? Or maybe we were just out competed with the hoards of buzz bombs. Or maybe thereā€™s better beaches suited to fly fishing where the fish come in closer. Bottom line is we were out fished by grannies in lawn chairs next to us, haha.

Anyone want to take some pity on some noob PNW salmon beach fly fishers and give some helpful tips?
I have been fishing Whidbey Island beaches since I moved here 9 year ago. I tend to avoid Lagoon Point and Bush Point because of the crowds. Driftwood seems to fish best at low tides especially with a fly rod because of the piles of driftwood that like to catch flies. You might try Ebey's Landing at high tide. The biggest problem with Ebey's is parking. It is a popular beach with hikers and families. There is plenty of beach if you can find a place to park. I've had my best luck with stinger Clousers. I use a full sinking line and probably cast 50-70 feet depending on wind and surf conditions. You probably just were fishing at a bad time. I'm lucky that I have a beach within 2 miles of my house so I get there often. Fishing has been good but I have been skunked a couple of days also.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
3 for 3 this morning. One coho, one silver and one heading for the beach pig.
SF
IMG_4509.jpeg