Puget Sound

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Thanks! It's interesting to see the how the wind varies so much in direction at different locations. Tomorrow looks much better than today!

Also how much it varies by which forecast you look at. The European model almost always has more wind forecast than NAM or HRRR. It makes you feel like you are on different planets they vary so much. 😂
SF

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Also how much it varies by which forecast you look at. The European model almost always has more wind forecast than NAM or HRRR. It makes you feel like you are on different planets they vary so much. 😂
SF
Do you find that there is one model used that is more accurate than the others?

Sam

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Shame we only have a week left in Area 9 and 8. I didn't get to fly fish as much as I wanted to, which has me considering the path to insanity that is staging south sound coho. I see we have plenty of rain in the forecast that is probably going to push in the fish that are currently tormenting @Divad. Are there waves of fresh fish through October down there? Or am I better off waiting for the chums
Last year, in town (oly) they showed the first week of Oct. for a couple weeks. Lock jaw in place. I gave up fly fishing and filled my smoker using gear..hoochie jig...

Divad

Whitefish
Last year, in town (oly) they showed the first week of Oct. for a couple weeks. Lock jaw in place. I gave up fly fishing and filled my smoker using gear..hoochie jig...
Yup still fresh ones into October. And I think the gear thing is the ticket, sadly. The gear guy I always end up fishing with continues to watch me fail at the fly while he nabs coho on spinners.

I’m starting to think the Deep South fall coho are a different breed even compared to Gig Harbor. They don’t have too many (if any) native creeks down here. Bunch of net pen reared locked up goof balls.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Do you find that there is one model used that is more accurate than the others?

Sam

I’d say NAM is probably the closest to being accurate.
SF

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Really slow day, saw some fish caught around 9 but nothing else. Really tiny fish too, 1-3lb range. Fished a new to me but popular beach for around 2 hours than fished a beach of my own discovery that I now know does not have good current action during the incoming tide cycle

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
3 for 5 this morning. Couple of 3 lbers to hand and one decent 5-6 lb fish that put up a nice fight with multiple jumps. It decided to needed to be free before it got its photo taken. 😂
I hooked another fish that felt very heavy but came unbuttoned after a couple head shakes. Would have like to have seen that one. Not many people out fishing today.

Did see someone surpass Herring Dan’s record of beaching a coho within 10 seconds of hooking up. Poor fish looked like it was launched out of one of those salmon cannons.
Lots of herons around. Fun to watch them hunt. I found this worm on the beach. It looks thinner than other marine worms I’ve seen. I assume it is a polychaete, but not sure.
SF

IMG_4873.jpegIMG_4868.jpegIMG_4876.jpegIMG_4878.jpegIMG_4880.jpeg

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Pretty sure I achieved the sea otter, seal, sea lion slam at beach 1. 1 shaker and 1 not quite keeper there.
1695594268132.png

Checked out a new to me beach on the way home and a buzz bomb couple was landing easily the largest coho I've seen caught this year as I walked up. Would not be surprised if it was in the 8lb range. Nothing doing for me until the last cast of the day produced an unexceptional hatchery fish.
1695594554463.png

1695594592302.png

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
3 for 5 this morning. Couple of 3 lbers to hand and one decent 5-6 lb fish that put up a nice fight with multiple jumps. It decided to needed to be free before it got its photo taken. 😂
I hooked another fish that felt very heavy but came unbuttoned after a couple head shakes. Would have like to have seen that one. Not many people out fishing today.

Did see someone surpass Herring Dan’s record of beaching a coho within 10 seconds of hooking up. Poor fish looked like it was launched out of one of those salmon cannons.
Lots of herons around. Fun to watch them hunt. I found this worm on the beach. It looks thinner than other marine worms I’ve seen. I assume it is a polychaete, but not sure.
SF

View attachment 83358View attachment 83359
Yes, that looks like a polychaete (many hairs - chetae). Generally, the chetae extend off one pair of fleshy paddle-like appendages per segment. That looks to be one of the clam worms (genus Nereis).
Steve

jeradjames

Steelhead
Today I went sea run cutthroat fishing with my girlfriend and David over at Adventure Angling, thanks @nickclayton for the recommendation, we had a great time. We were able to land a lot of cutthroat today, some pretty decent sized ones and lots of little guys. We saw one school of Coho but they disappeared before we could get to them. Used some Cortland lines with shooting heads, I believe a compact sink type 6, for the first time also which made me feel like a pro at casting, you can really bomb those things far. Lots of good tips and details about the fishery were picked up today!
IMG_7610.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7617.jpeg
    IMG_7617.jpeg
    702.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7606.jpeg
    IMG_7606.jpeg
    561.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Greggor

'Schooled' by Roy Patrick
Forum Supporter
Today I went sea run cutthroat fishing with my girlfriend and David over at Adventure Angling, thanks @nickclayton for the recommendation, we had a great time. We were able to land a lot of cutthroat today, some pretty decent sized ones and lots of little guys. We saw one school of Coho but they disappeared before we could get to them. Used some Cortland lines with shooting heads, I believe a compact sink type 6, for the first time also which made me feel like a pro at casting, you can really bomb those things far. Lots of good tips and details about the fishery were picked up today!
View attachment 83484
Dude! You've fallen into the abyss. And I mean that in a good way! Good work, and with your girlfriend already into flyfishing... full speed ahead!

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
View attachment 83484

Beautiful cutts. Well done.
The best fishing for them in my opinion is yet to come this fall.
SF