What have you done for your boat lately?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Re-shaped and installed the yoke, made forms for the bulkheads, and cut a stencil for the bow art (kids’ idea).0D3CF9BC-3CB1-44DE-BB6C-E0F27F67B24F.jpegF3533354-F3B5-43A0-A4D2-B5F138660E5A.jpeg6D031102-FCC2-4ACE-AE66-C0A1EDEC81F8.jpeg
Ended up using six metal fasteners on this boat. Two bolts on each side of the yoke, one on each side of the thwart. I'd thought about doing pegged mortise and tenon to attach them, to keep them removable yet metal free, but concerned about strength and durability (and wanting to get this thing done sometime this century) carriage bolts and stainless nuts it is.

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Just seeing this thread now, Jake this build is incredible.
Thanks!

Hope to have it done by opening day. You’ll have to come out in it sometime.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I think my casting prowess might insult it.

Plus, it might smell my crappy 16’ Coleman RAM with plywood seats that are attached with ratchet straps and eject me
I hear you, but the offer stands.

The original plan was to make a couple of bamboo rods to match. Thus far though all I’ve managed is to turn $200 of Tonkin cane into toothpicks and splinters.

But if I get it figured out I can even loan you a rod to use.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I hear you, but the offer stands.

The original plan was to make a couple of bamboo rods to match. Thus far though all I’ve managed is to turn $200 of Tonkin cane into toothpicks and splinters.

But if I get it figured out I can even loan you a rod to use.
Well I won’t say no that’s for sure ;)

Nice little boat for one person.. What's the specs, size wise, weight, can it handle a trolling motor, fit in the back of an SUV, how does it handle on the water..? I'm thinking it would tend to be blown around easily by the wind..? Pretty stable out on the water..?
Haven't put the motor on it in the water yet, but it is supposed to handle it according to mfgr. It handles pretty good and anchors on front/back to hold me still. I can stand up, but not the greatest for that, lol. It is quite the comfy sandbox as Steve puts it, lol. More pics when motor on and in use!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
and props for the uber organized shop, and those hella nice looking workbenches you obviously built as well..color me green :)
Thanks! I share the space so it’s gotta stay organized.

Some are actually repurposed kitchen cabinets…with some modifications.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm envious of your talents, great work..!! (y)
Thank you.

I couldn't have done it without having grown up the son of a general contractor who used me as free labor on every type of construction-related job, and being the nephew of a patient woodworking uncle.

That, and judicious use of camera angles to hide blunders and missteps.

Thank you.

I couldn't have done it without having grown up the son of a general contractor who used me as free labor on every type of construction-related job, and being the nephew of a patient woodworking uncle.

That, and judicious use of camera angles to hide blunders and missteps.
That my friends is inspirational!! I also grew up in the trade, almost 50 years worth. Wish there was a good woodworking shop thrown in there somewhere. Now the shop in my dreams is filled with years of accumulated crap. Good crap though! At least that's what I tell myself.