What have you done for your boat lately?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
The munchkins decided the canoe needs a dragonfly, so work has stalled while I teach myself how to paint one onto a mock-up of the bow deck we made for painting practice. Gonna be nerve-wracking when I do it for real.

Tried out different types and styles of wings, and now it's on to testing to see if the teak sealer messes up the iridescent paint job. Next up, carving paddles.

1676599534176.jpeg
1676654566008.jpeg
Edit: teak sealer, not steak sealer.

Last edited:

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wow! That is going to be stunning. One of my boats (besides the 17 ft canoe that I posted earlier) is my 16 ft Clackacraft purchased in 1985. It’s in the shop getting minor repairs and new gel coat. Yesterday, they finished repairs on the bottom of the boat and getting gel coat sprayed today. Here are photos of the sanded hull. FF70CF14-657E-411D-9A50-5701EB29C5F2.jpeg3C525607-E09A-4149-BBB3-D1F028B2C066.jpeg

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Wow! That is going to be stunning. One of my boats (besides the 17 ft canoe that I posted earlier) is my 16 ft Clackacraft purchased in 1985. It’s in the shop getting minor repairs and new gel coat. Yesterday, they finished repairs on the bottom of the boat and getting gel coat sprayed today. Here are photos of the sanded hull. View attachment 54422View attachment 54423
Any upgrades being done to it while it's in the shop?

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yes. Replacing the rope seats with swivel seats in the front. Will be able to change between single and double seats up front. Keeping the rope rower’s seat which will give me more leverage when rowing through whitewater. When I bought the boat, I had custom compartments built in the front and back for hauling gear on multi-day Deschutes trip. Everything packs efficiently into the boat. I lined the box under the front seat with closed cell styrofoam, making it a cooler. It holds ice up to four days, even in July on the Deschutes. Will post photos when I get the boat back.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yes. Replacing the rope seats with swivel seats in the front. Will be able to change between single and double seats up front. Keeping the rope rower’s seat which will give me more leverage when rowing through whitewater. When I bought the boat, I had custom compartments built in the front and back for hauling gear on multi-day Deschutes trip. Everything packs efficiently into the boat. I lined the box under the front seat with closed cell styrofoam, making it a cooler. It holds ice up to four days, even in July on the Deschutes. Will post photos when I get the boat back.
I love it when folks restore things rather than replace. Looking forward to the photos.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
So...I bought another boat! LOL!
It's a pram/dinghy style, fiberglass, and is basically a blank palette to set up for lakes. The Scotty anchor mounts and rod holder mounts showed up yesterday.
It has an adjustable plank style seat. I know I'm going to want something with a back...I may have to glass in a pedestal if the stadium seat I have on order doesn't work.

Pictures to come...

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So...I bought another boat! LOL!
It's a pram/dinghy style, fiberglass, and is basically a blank palette to set up for lakes. The Scotty anchor mounts and rod holder mounts showed up yesterday.
It has an adjustable plank style seat. I know I'm going to want something with a back...I may have to glass in a pedestal if the stadium seat I have on order doesn't work.

Pictures to come...
You can get storage boxes to mount seats on or better yet (dare I say) a Yeti. It might be easier to glass in supports to hold the box in place. Pictures of the boat will probably stimulate other ideas. The only Yeti items that I have been willing to buy are a coffee cup and water bottle.

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
The munchkins decided the canoe needs a dragonfly, so work has stalled while I teach myself how to paint one onto a mock-up of the bow deck we made for painting practice. Gonna be nerve-wracking when I do it for real.

Tried out different types and styles of wings, and now it's on to testing to see if the teak sealer messes up the iridescent paint job. Next up, carving paddles.

View attachment 54411
View attachment 54455
Edit: teak sealer, not steak sealer.
That dragonfly looks awesome! Did you consider getting a decal or something akin? Or were you wanting wanting something original and done by you?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
That dragonfly looks awesome! Did you consider getting a decal or something akin? Or were you wanting wanting something original and done by you?
Honestly, I didn’t think of a decal. That would have been cool.

The boys (7 and 10) wanted me to put a dragonfly on it, and we had this iridescent paint from an old craft project. I did look at stencils, but none seemed right.

So, I decided to try and draw one. Never been much for drawing, but since the painting on my 7yo’s vise board came out ok

image.jpg
497A82F4-E4C2-4145-8719-055DB78F28D1.jpeg
(Got his signature from his homework)

I figured I’d at least try. So we built a second, extra, deck and here we are.
1676678126543.jpeg

The real one will be painted smaller, at an angle, and in the wider part of the deck.

Last edited:

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Wow! That is going to be stunning. One of my boats (besides the 17 ft canoe that I posted earlier) is my 16 ft Clackacraft purchased in 1985. It’s in the shop getting minor repairs and new gel coat. Yesterday, they finished repairs on the bottom of the boat and getting gel coat sprayed today. Here are photos of the sanded hull. View attachment 54422View attachment 54423
Those high sided clackas added a huge amount of confidence in big water, but when the wind blew....... I had an '83 16X48 with the low sides. Great boat, but I bailed it a bit with camp gear in big water.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Those high sided clackas added a huge amount of confidence in big water, but when the wind blew....... I had an '83 16X48 with the low sides. Great boat, but I bailed it a bit with camp gear in big water.
They do suck in the wind. Last September, the last five miles to Heritage was brutal. We made it with my BIL navigating “there’s a rock coming up” and me on the sticks. We still liked each other when we reached the launch but it wasn’t fun.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Awesome and although it’s been said before, the look on your son’s face is priceless.
Thank you.

Yeah, he’s a cute little bugger--good thing, too. Survival tactic on his part.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Jake, that canoe just keeps getting more beautiful with every post!