What have you done for your boat lately?

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
Honestly, I didn’t think of a decal. That would have been cool.

The boys (7 and 10) wanted me to put a dragonfly on it, and we had this iridescent paint from an old craft project. I did look at stencils, but none seemed right.

So, I decided to try and draw one. Never been much for drawing, but since the painting on my 7yo’s vise board came out ok

View attachment 54477
View attachment 54478
(Got his signature from his homework)

I figured I’d at least try. So we built a second, extra, deck and here we are.
View attachment 54481

The real one will be painted smaller, at an angle, and in the wider part of the deck.
You are very talented!

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Any upgrades being done to it while it's in the shop?
I picked the boat up in Mollala, Oregon yesterday and towed it home. Stopped at the Clackacraft shop on the way home and everyone came out to look at the ”old school“ boat. I told them the last time I was there was in 1985 when I bought the boat. They were pleased to see it still in service. Should be good for another 40 years, a few more for me and the rest for my son when I give him the boat. Today, I redrilled the holes for the front seat positions and replaced the hardware with stainless. Tomorrow I am going to redo the rope rowing seat and wash the road grime and de-icer off from my trip back through Portland. Going to let the gel coat cure for a few weeks and then float it in the Yakima Canyon, hopefully with my son. For reference, I am including a picture of the inside before the work was done (the angle of the photo does not really show the wear that was on the inside from years of use. The dings and rock rash on the bottom was shown in my earlier photo in the thread. If you want to see the work that they did, PNW Fiberglass and Composite Solutions posted the restorationB51AE1A4-560E-45F9-AF44-221419E5B2E1.jpeg on their Facebook page.

57A6BB4A-1DE9-4FEA-8F4A-33F0FCFBD235.jpegDF1CB9B7-A563-4525-9AB8-09D203795EE7.jpeg

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I picked the boat up in Mollala, Oregon yesterday and towed it home. Stopped at the Clackacraft shop on the way home and everyone came out to look at the ”old school“ boat. I told them the last time I was there was in 1985 when I bought the boat. They were pleased to see it still in service. Should be good for another 40 years, a few more for me and the rest for my son when I give him the boat. Today, I redrilled the holes for the front seat positions and replaced the hardware with stainless. Tomorrow I am going to redo the rope rowing seat and wash the road grime and de-icer off from my trip back through Portland. Going to let the gel coat cure for a few weeks and then float it in the Yakima Canyon, hopefully with my son. For reference, I am including a picture of the inside before the work was done (the angle of the photo does not really show the wear that was on the inside from years of use. The dings and rock rash on the bottom was shown in my earlier photo in the thread. If you want to see the work that they did, PNW Fiberglass and Composite Solutions posted the restorationView attachment 56054 on their Facebook page. They do good work.

View attachment 56052View attachment 56053
Thank you for sharing this.

Also, it’s interesting to see two seats in the bow.

cdnred

Life of the Party
Jake, were you planning to add a couple grab handles on the bow and stern for ease of handling..?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Jake, were you planning to add a couple grab handles on the bow and stern for ease of handling..?
Yes, and no. The eyebrows and decks function as handles.

The bow and stern decks overhang the water-tight compartments, creating a nice lip, and the curved eyebrow (that will hopefully help divert water that comes over the bow or stern) hangs down past the lip, making a nice and positive grip. (old photos below)IMG_7199.jpgIMG_7202.jpg

Last edited: