What have you done for your boat lately?

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The guy who owned the fly shop I worked for in LaGrand always used to say. " if you're gonna walk from Minam to Troy why would you want to drag a boat along" :)

Oh man, ain't that the truth. We actually got really lucky this year with a nice bump just before the launch. It was primo when we showed up then dropped a foot that night as we camped at the put in. We were a bit concerned to see it drop so much but it was still well above average and we had a pretty easy go of it.
I do love this raft. Even fully loaded with 8 days worth of junk, a TeePee with a wood stove, and way to many beers she only draws a few inches. The gravely drops were no problem, but that river has sooo many of those boulders just below the surface that its still a tough float. My buddy has a 14' cat and he can just straddle those suckers while I row all the way around each and every one of them. but he draws triple of what I do so he has his issues as well.

Still a great float and we didn't see another soul until the last day when we got passed by the funniest shit show of a raft I've ever seen. 3 dudes on a POS 18'er with a mountain of gear on it. They each had a 5 gallon propane tank for the heaters! No clue how those guys made it down, but they were bumming beers so I'm guessing they had a good time. Wish I had gotten a pic.

Jeff Dodd

Steelhead
Jeff, I like the look of your jon boat! What brand and dimensions is it? Do you need a trailer or is it possible to slide it into a trucks bed?
Thank you.
This is a 11’ 6” Harbercraft Flyfisher, made in BC.

They are difficult to find, and bring a premium price up on BC. Popular because they are lightweight yet enough beam to stand and cast. Primarily one sheet construction and the transom riveted in place. (No longer manufactured)

I have been watching one for sale in Oregon. I will send you a link via PM. It’s on a trailer.

I am able to slide this atop my 2500HD pickup and canopy, or the bed of the truck.

They also came in 9’6” length. I had one, but didn’t like the lack of leg room while rowing.

Jeff

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Thank you.
This is a 11’ 6” Harbercraft Flyfisher, made in BC.

They are difficult to find, and bring a premium price up on BC. Popular because they are lightweight yet enough beam to stand and cast. Primarily one sheet construction and the transom riveted in place. (No longer manufactured)

I have been watching one for sale in Oregon. I will send you a link via PM. It’s on a trailer.

I am able to slide this atop my 2500HD pickup and canopy, or the bed of the truck.

They also came in 9’6” length. I had one, but didn’t like the lack of leg room while rowing.

Jeff
I suppose "Marlon" is the Canadian replacement boat for the Harbercraft these days: https://www.marlonproducts.com/products/boats/jon-boats/?product=SP12+Jon+Boat&productID=726-0010 My friend Herb has the 10' Marlon jon-boat. It's heavy but then that heaviness translates to "stout" and stable. Herb's 10-footer is a real chore for two of us to get it shoved in the back of his utility trailer. Herb just ships his oars inside his boat when anchored up.
IMG_1146.jpg

Meanwhile, the rowing end of my oars are in mickeymouse sections of pipe fixed on the bow. This arrangement, as shown, works okay until I get a big fish in which case I lift the oarlock out of the socket and ship the oar on the side I'm netting the fish. My boat is 8-feet long, the extra two feet in Herb's boat is great for gear (he may well be a gear hoarder).

@Jeff Dodd - I sorta lust after your Harbercraft.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When I bought this old 14' alum Smokercraft the wood on the bench's was dry rotted but still usable.
After two more seasons the brackets that hold the seats gave up when my son leaned back.
I put in new marine plywood on my bench seats and sealed them up nice, bought a new fish finder, then only used the boat once this last season.
I just need to get over going out in my boat alone.
I can fish from shore on foot by myself forever, but I like to have someone else with me when I go out in the boat.
There should be some winter steelhead in the river and the water has some good color.
I think I better go fishing.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
A9F6A7CE-51E1-455E-81F7-E495919C351A.jpeg

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
689CAF8E-A4BA-497C-81E6-E020B126E185.jpeg
Carving those was hard but, so far, the only power tools were a table saw to make the cedar strips, and a random orbital to sand the epoxy after glassing it--and I hope to keep it that way.

Last edited:

flybill

Life of the Party
I saw @Zak s boat yesterday and want something like that.. or Bob Triggs boat.. basically a pram or dory, so I can easily fish lakes without freezing in the water.. I will buy new fins for my kickboat this spring.. or get a pontoon boat most likely!

flybill

Life of the Party
Bought my Hobie Compass a matching buddy to nudge my husband toward joining me in retirement!
View attachment 31834
Going to rent one of these from Gig Harbor Fly Shop next year! I had a 14' sit on top Ocean Kayak for a while, but didn't use it much so sold it.. I would use this for sea run cutthroat fishing and lakes in the spring...

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Going to rent one of these from Gig Harbor Fly Shop next year! I had a 14' sit on top Ocean Kayak for a while, but didn't use it much so sold it.. I would use this for sea run cutthroat fishing and lakes in the spring...
I met Leigh last year, she was fishing the giant cataract lake from her Hobie Compass. A very cool boat and one I’m convinced is very versatile. I really need to thin the herd to get serious about a Compass. I’m at four boats right now, none are perfect, three are awesome. Good luck, man!

cdnred

Life of the Party
So I got one of those fold up wheels to put under my pontoon boat. And when I went to use it I noticed it was hard to keep the boat balanced while you're rolling it down the road. So I decided to fix that.

View attachment 22989View attachment 22990View attachment 22991
Nice job and very practical. Was this something you put together yourself or was it an off the shelf item you bought..? I've got a Colorado XT with a similar swing wheel on the back end for moving to the water's edge which is rather cumbersome to swing down. I agree it does have an impact on tracking and I think this is a nefty idea that may solve that issue. It appears that it's fixed to the bottom of the frame, left in the raised position whilst out on the water and then swung down when moving it back to the car/truck..? Does it create any problems with tracking or snagging vegetation whilst over weed beds..?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Nice job and very practical. Was this something you put together yourself or was it an off the shelf item you bought..? I've got a Colorado XT with a similar swing wheel on the back end for moving to the water's edge which is rather cumbersome to swing down. I agree it does have an impact on tracking and I think this is a nefty idea that may solve that issue. It appears that it's fixed to the bottom of the frame, left in the raised position whilst out on the water and then swung down when moving it back to the car/truck..? Does it create any problems with tracking or snagging vegetation whilst over weed beds..?
I bought the wheels on amazon and the rest is all thread, nuts, washers and pvc pipe for spacers.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
A matching fly box
538CA866-A270-4ADE-901D-1F9A3C563587.jpeg1C243F04-6C48-4CC4-BE6B-33E35F3AA26A.jpeg3814221A-FCA1-484C-AB3D-2CF0905783FB.jpeg
78082AF0-B1C1-4F88-AC03-6C7AEDDE211D.jpeg2A1FD49A-9FBB-4497-B1FB-57054E35FDC6.jpegCE59E4D3-3569-494F-8B63-D7B323DD680F.jpeg
Edit: In the process of updating the yoke to better match the fly box. Starting to become a whole chicken-or-the-egg thing.

Last edited: