Rod Building The Rod Building Thread

RCF

Life of the Party
I feel like I’ve seen this ad before multiple times over the past year or so. He states no price, asks for “reasonable offers”. Curious what he’s expecting?
May be the first 2 words of the ad can answer the question ---> "Selling high"...

Thanks for the advice above on the repair issue! I’m going to research more on the DIY side and also make a couple calls to Avid Angler and Scott on Monday. 👍🏻👍🏻

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the advice above on the repair issue! I’m going to research more on the DIY side and also make a couple calls to Avid Angler and Scott on Monday. 👍🏻👍🏻
Ditto what Divad said. I've done it twice for my own rods. You can boil the reel seat off in 5 to ten minutes. If it has any thing but a metal throat (wood, cork)
you should put a plastic bag over it. Don't twist it much just a wiggle. The grip is toast. Plan on buying a new one. I use channel locks to pinch the cork off in chunks. Then scrap and sand off the remnants. If your cautious, the winding check will stay stuck to the blank.
Proof Flyfishing has a tutorial video on seat removal and grips for sale. Lots of you-tube videos on grip removal. Good luck...

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
To be honest, I have no clue. It’s probably based off the wrapping rig and the blanks.

Enough stuff to finish all the rods at no cost. Sell them and maybe it will pay for the wrapping rig and any extra supplies in the lot. Basically everything for free due to your fruits of your labor.

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
Alps wrapping rig is 500 New. Sage/Winston blanks are currently 4-500. So in that aspect could make your money back.
Except the learning curve to do it all properly, so need low cost blanks to practice on before touching the others.
Guess I will just fish in retirement.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
What would be a reasonable offer for this stuff? Seems like I could jump straight into rod building with this setup.

I emailed him already, he wants 2k

Divad

Whitefish
What would be a reasonable offer for this stuff? Seems like I could jump straight into rod building with this setup.

My .02 if jumping in, use a hand wrapper. Having played with an electric foot powered wrapper at Batson, I am not sure they are useful for a casual rod builder. My goal is not to mass produce at speed with one color, but to get detail oriented wraps with sometimes a couple inlays or color switches.

(Knowing you can diy with wood much better than me) you'd be into a crb wrapper for $50 and a few bucks and minutes to build a jig for the turner.

I also think the cork rings are nice but look about A to Extra grade, the prefab grips might be Flor or filler fakes can't tell. Since you likely have a lathe, you would enjoy shaping your own anyways. And choose your own blanks, which I would guess he is valuing heavily along with the power wrapper to equate to 2k. Not saying its a bad deal at all, especially if he were to wiggle to 1600 or so.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
My .02 if jumping in, use a hand wrapper. Having played with an electric foot powered wrapper at Batson, I am not sure they are useful for a casual rod builder. My goal is not to mass produce at speed with one color, but to get detail oriented wraps with sometimes a couple inlays or color switches.

(Knowing you can diy with wood much better than me) you'd be into a crb wrapper for $50 and a few bucks and minutes to build a jig for the turner.

I also think the cork rings are nice but look about A to Extra grade, the prefab grips might be Flor or filler fakes can't tell. Since you likely have a lathe, you would enjoy shaping your own anyways. And choose your own blanks, which I would guess he is valuing heavily along with the power wrapper to equate to 2k. Not saying its a bad deal at all, especially if he were to wiggle to 1600 or so.
No, no lathe here. Thought to get one at one point, but it fell through and I'm ok with that. I much prefer hand tools, and there are only so many pen blanks and bowls a person can use anyway.

Divad

Whitefish
No, no lathe here. Thought to get one at one point, but it fell through and I'm ok with that. I much prefer hand tools, and there are only so many pen blanks and bowls a person can use anyway.
LOL don't forget rolling pins and legs. I heard round legs with plenty of grooving and figure are coming back into style 🙃

Well one of your drills modified into a lathe'esk jig works just as well. I still think you'd be better off buying your own rod building accoutrements than this kit.

RCF

Life of the Party
The blanks are:

Sage One 490-4
Sage TXL 0710-3
Winston WT 2wt
Thomas & Thomas Helix HII905-4B
North Fork Composites Classic Series F864-4F (Gary Loomis’ highest end fly blanks)

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
LOL don't forget rolling pins and legs. I heard round legs with plenty of grooving and figure are coming back into style 🙃

Well one of your drills modified into a lathe'esk jig works just as well. I still think you'd be better off buying your own rod building accoutrements than this kit.
I think I may try my hand at making the jigs and rigs myself. $2000 buys enough wood to make a new kayak or canoe, plus the wood for rod making forms, etc..