Rod Building The Rod Building Thread

Divad

Whitefish
A place to post your rod build pictures, current works in progress, inspirations, and everything in-between.

Divad

Whitefish
I’ll start.

This NFC 4wt Iconoglass I’ve had for 7 months finally finished the build. All titanium recoil guides, single ft aside from stripper and invisible silk ferrule joints.
CF09E77A-D999-4964-80FE-27188CC6CC2B.jpeg
Tried a little different orientation for the label, would have done a fade wrap if the black tags didn’t show up under the pearl thread. I like this version though.
7D4D54EA-898A-4F17-B5F3-9634EFD3D4B4.jpeg

And just finished the main grip for a 9’6” 7wt. Waiting for the fighting butt to dry and will turn it this weekend, really happy with the shape might do a little more touch up.

712E79B5-1989-4F54-AD4E-A6FAF828F6FA.jpeg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I got one of Shane Grays Rodmaker blanks ready to build for a friend as a gift. It’s my first so I may have questions :). It’s a 7’ 3wt for a move to Maine. First step per that other thread is making a cork reamer.

Divad

Whitefish
I got one of Shane Grays Rodmaker blanks ready to build for a friend as a gift. It’s my first so I may have questions :). It’s a 7’ 3wt for a move to Maine. First step per that other thread is making a cork reamer.
If you want to get the reaming process done without making one, Troutstys, Stumptown and MtHood Custom are all builders in the Portland area.

My first grip was done by a local shop who I tipped $20 and got a tour of his production facility.

flybill

Life of the Party
I'm going to build a 4wt for myself and a 5wt for a friend in Colorado. Her and I will fish in CO and/or AK next year and I'll teach her to fly fish! Might get out next weekend too. Cheers!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
If you want to get the reaming process done without making one, Troutstys, Stumptown and MtHood Custom are all builders in the Portland area.

My first grip was done by a local shop who I tipped $20 and got a tour of his production facility.
If I’m going to do it, I want to do it :)

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I’ll start.

This NFC 4wt Iconoglass I’ve had for 7 months finally finished the build. All titanium recoil guides, single ft aside from stripper and invisible silk ferrule joints.
View attachment 86486
Tried a little different orientation for the label, would have done a fade wrap if the black tags didn’t show up under the pearl thread. I like this version though.
View attachment 86487

And just finished the main grip for a 9’6” 7wt. Waiting for the fighting butt to dry and will turn it this weekend, really happy with the shape might do a little more touch up.

View attachment 86488
Please show a close up of the ferrule wraps and one of your snake guides. Very nice, indeed.

Divad

Whitefish
Please show a close up of the ferrule wraps and one of your snake guides. Very nice, indeed.
99DF4F1C-6134-4B86-9C9D-3D6C185BAF68.jpeg
AD34B063-2C8C-46C0-8787-926D387A9895.jpeg
Really like how the silk turned out.

For the single foot I did a clockwise and counterclockwise wrap around the guide as an anchor at the end, followed by two wraps behind. In the process I learned I will apply epoxy with a needle next time right behind the guide. Toothpick was too fat and was hard to place a small dab (nit picky but a perfectionist).

That looks very nice well done, I have the same blank and strangely built it up to look like Saint Patrick’s day color scheme I don’t know why but at least it looks good one day a year

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
View attachment 86719
View attachment 86720
Really like how the silk turned out.

For the single foot I did a clockwise and counterclockwise wrap around the guide as an anchor at the end, followed by two wraps behind. In the process I learned I will apply epoxy with a needle next time right behind the guide. Toothpick was too fat and was hard to place a small dab (nit picky but a perfectionist).
Very well done!

Divad

Whitefish
That looks very nice well done, I have the same blank and strangely built it up to look like Saint Patrick’s day color scheme I don’t know why but at least it looks good one day a year
That must look pretty spiffy! Maybe it can be a Christmas theme too. According to my niece that season starts in about September.

Divad

Whitefish
I bought a set of rattail files works great use drill in reverse never get file stuck in cork!
Using the rattail file in a drill would help with concentricity that I’ve heard is an issue with hand reaming. Don’t like how they taper so quickly I’ll admit. Going to try another rod built one and fill the rod with epoxy for longevity along with my lesson learned on the last one.

Thanks Lue.

Last edited:

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Just received three small glass blanks for this Winters hobby projects. I've been wanting to learn some new thread techniques so I got some metallic braid to play around with. I realize that most fly rods are really done in a minimalist, conservative style unlike some of the "over the top" flash and bling found in custom gear rods. I admire their skill levels but wonder if your average fly fisherman would even think about having such designs on their rods. What do you all think?...
PS..These aren't very straight, just a mock-up..
20231025_115307.jpg

Last edited:

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Just received three small glass blanks for this Winters hobby projects. I've been wanting to learn some new thread techniques so I got some metallic braid to play around with. I realize that most fly rods are really done in a minimalist, conservative style unlike some of the "over the top" flash and bling found in custom gear rods. I admire their skill levels but wonder if your average fly fisherman would even think about having such designs on their rods. What do you all think?...
PS..These aren't very straight, just a mock-up..
View attachment 87575
For the most part I don't want bling on my fly rods but I do like the white transluscent rod its bling.