Rod Building The Rod Building Thread

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Just received three small glass blanks for this Winters hobby projects. I've been wanting to learn some new thread techniques so I got some metallic braid to play around with. I realize that most fly rods are really done in a minimalist, conservative style unlike some of the "over the top" flash and bling found in custom gear rods. I admire their skill levels but wonder if your average fly fisherman would even think about having such designs on their rods. What do you all think?...
PS..These aren't very straight, just a mock-up..
View attachment 87575
While I appreciate the skill in intricate wrapping. I appreciate simplicity (in all aspects of my life)

Kado

Steelhead
Just received three small glass blanks for this Winters hobby projects. I've been wanting to learn some new thread techniques so I got some metallic braid to play around with. I realize that most fly rods are really done in a minimalist, conservative style unlike some of the "over the top" flash and bling found in custom gear rods. I admire their skill levels but wonder if your average fly fisherman would even think about having such designs on their rods. What do you all think?...
PS..These aren't very straight, just a mock-up..
View attachment 87575
Appropriate for a bass fly rod : )

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Those wraps have their place, like on a bass rod that is trying to simulate the wallpaper in a French whore house. On fly rods, understated eloquence is the general standard for class and quality.
So what you’re saying is we can call it “the soap lake motif”?

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Today I received the new CRB Core Hand Wrapper for doing thread work on my hobby fly rods. Must say, I am impressed.! Beautifully engineered product for its price. I've been using a stand from Proof Flyfishing with a coffee cup for a thread holder whilst running the thread through a book for thread tension. It served me well but this is far superior for just a little more cash. Definitely look in to it if your wanting to start rodbuilding...

20231101_160416.jpg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
hey all, I’m starting to gather my materials for my first build and I have one question: do you prefer varnish or epoxy for your thread wraps (glass rod) and why? There’s so much info out there that it’s hard to sort through.

Thanks!

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Epoxy. Varnish takes several coats to cover properly. Epoxy one or two. Varnish is much less expensive. Traditionalist bamboo makers use spar varnish. Proff Flyfishing has tutorials on both..

Divad

Whitefish
I like the FlexCoat Lite stuff and even thin it a little with acetone for the first application. I do 2-3 coats max, eliminating chances of trapping dust. It’s still thin enough to penetrate thread and flow easily.

I also use a torch style lighter to help even out the epoxy. I’ve used a standard lighter before but you’ll trap soot in your finish from the flame. Safer alternative to an alcohol burner.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I’ve been building rods for 38+ years so far and on all fiberglass, graphite and bamboo I use epoxy. I used to use Flex Coat but now I use Threadmaster high build, one coat. One and done! my .02

flybill

Life of the Party
hey all, I’m starting to gather my materials for my first build and I have one question: do you prefer varnish or epoxy for your thread wraps (glass rod) and why? There’s so much info out there that it’s hard to sort through.

Thanks!
Epoxy, but spar varnish awesome too! Depends on the rod and components to and the thread you use. I like to use silk thread on old bamboo rods.

Varnish is nice since you can do many rhin coats and let it dry without putting it in a rod dryong turner too. Just tskes more time.

20231104_122434.jpg

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I've been using a sparce 1st coat. Seems I always have a thread end or fuzzy chunk sticking out, so it's one thin coat, razor cut the offensive lumps out and a beautiful finish coat. I found spreading the epoxy out on a tinfoil plate really helps eliminate the bubbles..

flybill

Life of the Party
I've been using a sparce 1st coat. Seems I always have a thread end or fuzzy chunk sticking out, so it's one thin coat, razor cut the offensive lumps out and a beautiful finish coat. I found spreading the epoxy out on a tinfoil plate really helps eliminate the bubbles..
I built rods for a year in Redmond for a small company that is gone now. Would turn and glue handles in the AM and epoxy 25 to 30 rods a day in the PM.. others would usually wrap the rods, but I would help as nessecasy.. plus work on the website! Good times for the most part and I learned a ton!

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I like the FlexCoat Lite stuff and even thin it a little with acetone for the first application. I do 2-3 coats max, eliminating chances of trapping dust. It’s still thin enough to penetrate thread and flow easily.

I also use a torch style lighter to help even out the epoxy. I’ve used a standard lighter before but you’ll trap soot in your finish from the flame. Safer alternative to an alcohol burner.
To her chagrin, I use my wife's hair dryer...

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I use Flxcoat and Threadmaster epoxy..both with great results.
I use a Bic lighter to level the finish and remove bubbles. An important tip is to use the lighter along the side...never under, as this can cause soot to trap under the finish.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
@Divad i finally cut off the guides of the blank I’m using as a reamer, next up is picking up some sandpaper. What grit did you use?

Chucker

Steelhead

Thanks!

I can attest that epoxy lasts longer than spar varnish. I recently disposed of some of the first rods I built (in 1982) and the varnish had deteriorated and was peeling off. Epoxy finishes of a similar vintage were still looking fine. Of course, you might not really care about this. The only rods that last 40 years are the ones built on shitty blanks that never get used.