The Real Mileage of an Electric Truck

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I love the idea of a diesel. I especially love the idea of smaller displacement turbo diesels. They are a standard in other countries in SUV and smaller trucks. They last forever (good environmentally if it has a long service life) and provide great power and low end torque. I've not however been able to justify buying a diesel here in the American sense as far as a giant rig using Def fluid and high maintainance costs. I just don't tow heavy stuff where I would need it and have to put up with all the extra maintained cost that comes with it. A little diesel would get my attention. However in typical American fashion I'm sure it would be so corrupted with Def and emissions garbage it would never perform as designed or get the mileage it could.

Ford dropped their F150 3.0 litre in '21 due to " cancel culture"

Chevy Silverrado 3.0 litre DuraMax still in production

Dodge/Stellantis offered a 1500 series in diesel as of last year , but not able to find
it listed right now.

So, they are out there , you'd just have to dig around a bit to find one.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party

Dodge/Stellantis offered a 1500 series in diesel as of last year , but not able to find
it listed right now.

I think he is speaking to the USA versions of these diesel vehicles which tend to be much different than the 3rd world versions that have few if any emissions standards. My place of work around 2012-2014 had a lot of BS problems with the newer diesel trucks and their emissions systems. I don’t know if these issues have been resolved yet but I’d guess they aren’t as bad as at that time because it was expensive work on newish trucks.

I am reminded of a trip I made to Costa Rica in 1999 and we were seeing these badass little Toyota trucks everywhere that were diesel. When we realized the mileage our jaws dropped. They did have some really black and disgusting exhaust though.

Most of the big cities in Africa and Central America that I have been to left me with black boogers after being on the street for a while. That is not something I experience in the USA. Let’s not pretend emissions standards aren’t really important for health and safety reasons and diesel is gross. I’d still own a diesel truck though. ;)

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I am reminded of a trip I made to Costa Rica in 1999 and we were seeing these badass little Toyota trucks everywhere that were diesel. When we realized the mileage our jaws dropped. They did have some really black and disgusting exhaust though.
During back to back 90's CR trips rented a diesel 4Runner and than a diesel Nissan Patrol.
The former sounded like a cement truck and left a black vapor trail, the latter was much quieter and left no trail. Both got mid 30's mpg.
1659915842600.png

Reactions: Zak

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I think he is speaking to the USA versions of these diesel vehicles which tend to be much different than the 3rd world versions that have few if any emissions standards. My place of work around 2012-2014 had a lot of BS problems with the newer diesel trucks and their emissions systems. I don’t know if these issues have been resolved yet but I’d guess they aren’t as bad as at that time because it was expensive work on newish trucks.

Most of the big cities in Africa and Central America that I have been to left me with black boogers after being on the street for a while. That is not something I experience in the USA. Let’s not pretend emissions standards aren’t really important for health and safety reasons and diesel is gross. I’d still own a diesel truck

EDIT: Whooops, misread your reply...🙄

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

it listed right now.

I have no desire to own a small run or niche production vehicle as a daily driver or work rig. Parts availability and reliability with short run models isn't great. For a recreational type toy, possibly. But a pickup isn't that. It's a tool that should be reliable, cost effective, easy to repair, and have a bounty of OEM and aftermarket support for decades after production cesses.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
During back to back 90's CR trips rented a diesel 4Runner and than a diesel Nissan Patrol.
The former sounded like a cement truck and left a black vapor trail, the latter was much quieter and left no trail. Both got mid 30's mpg.
View attachment 26554

There are very few Patrols in the country. They are fantastic vehicles and extremely capable.

longputt

Steelhead
I love the idea of a diesel. I especially love the idea of smaller displacement turbo diesels. They are a standard in other countries in SUV and smaller trucks.
I keep hearing stories of 40+ mpg...in the early 1980s a diesel VW Rabbit got 55+ mpg. A fishing friend had one and the mileage was amazing. BTW this was miles divided by gallons...not a trip computer. I think General Motors failed attempt at diesel conversion of their 350 in3 (5.7l) was a disaster for US diesel. The stigma created lasted for many many years. BTW people who preemptively changed head bolts got 500,000+ miles from those engines.

In many countries regulations are based on engine displacement this why you see high performing 1.9l, at 2l additional regulations kick in. Turbos, HPDI, intercoolers and multi-injections per cycle...modern diesels are impressive. I have never understood why hybrids were gasoline, diesel made more sense.

Flymph

Steelhead
A good friend of mine used to say anything less than a 100% chance of rain in North Central WA is "Fake Rain".

longputt

Steelhead
I wonder what the definition is of a battery made in the US? Mined or recycled can mean a lot of things. Shipping ore from the US to another country to be refined could qualify?

I worked on a material, here's the "US Origin" process: We bought ore from a French company who owned mines in Sierra Leone, the ore from Sierra Leone was sent to Russia to be made into the raw material, the raw material was shipped to the US to be melted and then sent back to Russia to be melted again and processed into final parts that were shipped to Japan for use in sub-assemblies. The sub-assemblies were assembled in the US.

Yep...US origin!

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
The CHIPS and Science bill signed this week which provides 53B to ramp up chip manufacturing here in the US should prove to be a game changer. Breaking the China stranglehold on the chip manufacturing industry is absolutely a critical strategic and economic priority for our country.
In 2020 over 900 billion chips were manufactured and used around the globe, and the US only manufacturers 12% of our own demand, and can't build cars without chips. The average modern gasser has 1400 chips in it, a Tesla has 3500 chips. In pre-pandemic 2019 the US auto biz sold 17 million new vehicles = over 2.3B chips.
We pretty much gave China a strangehold on us just so we could buy cheap shit from Walmart and Costco.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Not truck related, but your last chance to get a throaty V8 gas powered Hellcat is approaching…..
I wonder if this will begin a period where new muscle cars values will increase due to them not being produced any longer.
What would a limited production model Hellcat with low miles on it be worth if stored for 30 years if purchased by a collector?
SF

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
700 miles range. 25 min charge. 25 year battery…. AND… more competition in electrical providers… people worry about “Big Oil”… and they should… how about electrical utilities… monopolies and heavily government influenced. Then I will entertain.

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
700 miles range. 25 min charge. 25 year battery…. AND… more competition in electrical providers… people worry about “Big Oil”… and they should… how about electrical utilities… monopolies and heavily government influenced. Then I will entertain.
Get solar panels and never worry about electrical monopolies. The PUD buys electricity from me, and it's pretty nice.