The Real Mileage of an Electric Truck

Russell

Steelhead

California detailed a sweeping ban on the sale of new gasoline cars by 2035, a move that could speed a global transition to electric vehicles.

Wednesday, August 24, 2022 12:04 PM ET
The restrictions are important because not only is California the largest auto market in the United States, but more than a dozen other states typically follow California’s lead when setting their own auto emissions standards.
4448F9A3-7D35-4C15-B6BE-E1D43727A07E.jpeg
If you read to the bottom they don’t want us to charge our vehicles when we get home this weekend. Not sure how we are going to support the electric vehicle mandate.

Flymph

Steelhead
Isn't the real question "how did we get to this intensive heat to begin with"? I don't think we can blame an EV mandate for the record heat and fires that California has to endure.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
View attachment 29995
If you read to the bottom they don’t want us to charge our vehicles when we get home this weekend. Not sure how we are going to support the electric vehicle mandate.
Just "take one for the team" and don't drive anywhere for a few days and reduce your carbon footprint. Then next week you can virtue signal (I think, whatever that is) about how you contributed to avoiding an energy brown out.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Or charge from 9:01 pm til you drive next.

Reactions: smc

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The TVA...
Large parts of rural America are currently lacking in broadband access, but the political will does not seem to be there to do for rural communities in regards to broadband, what the TVA did for electrification.

Which is really too bad, and rather shortsighted in my view.

Very good post...
The USDA has money that they spend for broadband in rural communities. The cost per home can be staggering in very rural places. My friend in rural Montana gained broadband when the feds paid for broadband by his house.
In Whatcom County there seems to be some political will to get the service to everyone. The PUD was pushing to make it happen.
I doubt our collective effort comes close to rivaling the TVA in terms of scale.
I am somewhat torn. I was raised in a rural area without cable. I understand the equity issue, especially with regards to kids and education. I also understand that we restrict other sorts of infastructure like sewer lines in rural areas. Where you get city level services, you get city type uses. Broadband service may just increase housing costs with the trend towards remote work.
Nothing is ever straight forward.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Remember hydrogen fuel?

We already have service stations in prime locations that could be used after being retrofitted. No hordes of nasty batteries and solar panels to dispose of.

Flymph

Steelhead
Remember hydrogen fuel?

We already have service stations in prime locations that could be used after being retrofitted. No hordes of nasty batteries and solar panels to dispose of.
What you are saying is "right on" but Hydrogen is what science refers to as an energy sink. That is, It takes more energy to produce hydrogen (by separating it from other elements in molecules) than hydrogen provides when it is converted to useful energy. Hopefully better technology will make Hydrogen an energy for the future.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
What you are saying is "right on" but Hydrogen is what science refers to as an energy sink. That is, It takes more energy to produce hydrogen (by separating it from other elements in molecules) than hydrogen provides when it is converted to useful energy. Hopefully better technology will make Hydrogen an energy for the future.
But there are periods in the spring in Washington where there is more energy potential than is being harvested. For example, when hydroelectric dams are generating huge amounts of electricity due to the spring snow melt, some of the windmill sites are asked to stop producing powers because there is no place in the grid for that power to go. That excess power could be used to generate hydrogen gas (or pump water into power storage reservoirs that can be used in late summer when hydropower is reduced). In addition, most utilities have generation capacity to provide enough juice for peak demand, which typically occurs between noon and 6PM. Most power plants have a sweet spot of kWh where they are most efficient at generating electricity. Some of the potential electrical generation (which would normally be ramped down at night) could be used to generate hydrogen. [Alternatively, as is common in many European countries, people could pay a reduced electricity rate for putting major appliances, like activating washers and driers, at timers that are active during off-peak hours. This lowers the peak demand and requires the power companies to have less peak-power capacity. [On the other hand, hydrogen gas, because the molecules are SOOO tiny, has a problem with leakage at all parts the process from generation to end user is a major technical problem.]
Steve

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Did you read the article?

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
The article is deceptive, especially this quote: '“We don’t need any energy input, and it bubbles hydrogen like crazy. I’ve never seen anything like it,” said UCSC Chemistry Professor Scott Oliver." If that were true, they would be describing a perpetual motion machine and there is no such thing (see 2nd Law of Thermodynamics)... The energy input is from the pure aluminum, which is probably being oxidized (consumed) in the process. So, yes, you can consume an aluminum can to generate hydrogen gas. But aluminum is hugely expensive energetically to produce. [This is why Boeing was founded in Seattle because of the cheap hydropower in the PNW made it cheaper to smelt aluminum here that was then used in airframe production. Tiny Iceland is the 10th largest aluminum producer in the world because they have such abundant and cheap sources of electricity from hydropower and geothermal.]
Steve

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
The article is deceptive, especially this quote: '“We don’t need any energy input, and it bubbles hydrogen like crazy. I’ve never seen anything like it,” said UCSC Chemistry Professor Scott Oliver." If that were true, they would be describing a perpetual motion machine and there is no such thing
And that statement is also deceptive in that he was talking about the room temperature reaction, not sourcing the aluminum, water, and gallium. Just think of all those solar panel aluminum frames headed to the landfill in the next 30 years. So...we can use electricity to to recharge batteries that eventually have to be disposed of, or use it to make aluminum to convert rising sea water to fuel, which if I remember right exhausts water...fresh water.

Nothing is perfect.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Isn’t hydrogen created in desalinization

Flymph

Steelhead
Waaaaaay more than most deniers do! Any way you look at hydrogen production it takes a lot of energy including solar. I am all for Hydrogen energy over fossil fuels and agree with your thought about using existing gas stations. Also agree with your thoughts on placing PV panels in a land fill.

Did you read this:
An organization known as Reclaim PV recently received development approval (DA) for a second recycling facility in Brisbane. Their first is in Lonsdale, South Australia.

“Securing this second DA marks another significant milestone for Reclaim PV in the establishment of Australia’s first national solar panel recovery and recycling network, with further facilities to be established in the other major metropolitan areas in the next one to two years,” said Clive Fleming, Director of Reclaim PV Recycling.

“We need a nationwide approach to managing the replacement and recycling of faulty, non-performing and end-of-life solar panels before this gets unmanageable and we start to see 2000 t of waste making its way to landfill annually.”

The Lotus Energy team.
Another business, Lotus Energy, is operating a solar module recycling plant that crushes and recycles 95 per cent of each cell, including all silica, glass, copper, aluminium and silver. The other five per cent — the plastic from the cable sheath and back box — is being tested for conversion to gas, oil and activated carbon.

Although it’s in its formative stages and requires further collaboration between industry, government and end-users to ensure a viable market and recycling infrastructure, a solution to the landfill problem is now in the works, Wilkins said.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
And Cali's Gov is saying don't charge your electric car after shutting down gas powered sales in the future.

I think some people need to get their act together and decide what is the path.

Dave

It seems the path has already been decided.
A lot of the car manufacturers are also planning to phase out gas vehicles. Not all vehicles, but there will be a lot more electric vehicle options then internal combustion opens in the future when it comes to vehicle sales.
SF

Russell

Steelhead
Stupid hurts!
In CA it was mandated that quite a few of our quite a few fossil fuel plants would be closed by 2020. These have been kept open by our politicians because of lack of replacement power. Also at least three new fossil fuel plants have been built since then to handle brownouts. Everytime they shutoff the electricity the home generators go on line that pollute to a much higher degree.
Policy has decided nuclear was not a good option and it was decided to be shut down by 2025. Now those that opposed it politically are changing their tune and trying to keep it on line.
I'm not opposed to change for the good but have a good plan. You do not gain peoples trust or convince them to change by stupid policy from mandates.
Politicians do not make decisions based on sience or from insight from experts in the field.
With all the new solar here we have a glut of power during the day by cannot keep our grid stable. There is no real plan to have a stable grid by 2035. Maybe work on that first.