The Real Mileage of an Electric Truck

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Most people are reactive, not proactive.
It explains many disgruntle people in the world.
Go electric....boogie woogie woogie woogie.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Gee too bad the plants that make most of the batteries for EVs are not being able to run full time because of a lack of energy. Go China! LOL

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
Get solar panels and never worry about electrical monopolies. The PUD buys electricity from me, and it's pretty nice.
Matt,

I agree with you… except in Bellingham… not so sunny 8 months out of the year. Think enroute charging stations. More demand on the grid, rates go up, and Uncle Sam will have a lot to say about those rates.

Last edited:

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
700 miles range. 25 min charge. 25 year battery…. AND… more competition in electrical providers… people worry about “Big Oil”… and they should… how about electrical utilities… monopolies and heavily government influenced. Then I will entertain.
Maybe it could shit gold bricks too...

🤣

Divad

Whitefish
I love the idea of a diesel. I especially love the idea of smaller displacement turbo diesels. They are a standard in other countries in SUV and smaller trucks. They last forever (good environmentally if it has a long service life) and provide great power and low end torque. I've not however been able to justify buying a diesel here in the American sense as far as a giant rig using Def fluid and high maintainance costs. I just don't tow heavy stuff where I would need it and have to put up with all the extra maintained cost that comes with it. A little diesel would get my attention. However in typical American fashion I'm sure it would be so corrupted with Def and emissions garbage it would never perform as designed or get the mileage it could.
I own a 2015 EcoDiesel Ram 1500 and since 14,000 miles it’s been completely deleted. No DEF, no DPF, no regen, no EGR and a mild tune.

I have 148k now on it and still no issues, along with three oil analysis not noticing anything premature. I get 27mpg @ 60mph with 34” tires.

Micro diesels are a feasible future if politics don’t nut punch diesel pricing trying to suade decisions.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I own a 2015 EcoDiesel Ram 1500 and since 14,000 miles it’s been completely deleted. No DEF, no DPF, no regen, no EGR and a mild tune.

I have 148k now on it and still no issues, along with three oil analysis not noticing anything premature. I get 27mpg @ 60mph with 34” tires.

Micro diesels are a feasible future if politics don’t nut punch diesel pricing trying to suade decisions.
Diesel’s being nut punched right now
I don’t get it except for some profiteering

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My wife bought a plug in hybrid. It gets 30 miles to a charge. She rarely buys gas.
We rarely drive more than 30 miles in a day.
I have considered buying an older bolt or similar for my commute. I don't drive more than 30 miles in a day often. Even if the battery is getting weaker, it probably only needs a range of 20-30 miles.
We are getting solar soon. The idea of being more self sufficient from an energy standpoint appeals to me. Not giving money to Saudi's and Russia is also appealing.

Mossback

Forum Supporter
My wife bought a plug in hybrid. It gets 30 miles to a charge. She rarely buys gas.
I have considered buying an older bolt or similar for my commute. I don't drive more than 30 miles in a day often. Even if the battery is getting weaker, it probably only needs a range of 20-30 miles.
We are getting solar soon. The idea of being more self sufficient from an energy standpoint appeals to me. Not giving money to Saudi's and Russia is also appealing.
Why do you hate America ?
;)

RCF

Life of the Party

My daughter's boyfriend just bought an older Volt. He really likes it. He commutes 30 miles/day. 25 miles on the battery and 5 miles on gas. It costs ~$2.00/day to charge the battery up. (PSE rate ~$0.12/kwh x 17kw battery).

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party

Diesel was being touted as less harmful to the environment?
Somewhat. Most of the pollution is in the form of heavy hydrocarbons which stay low to the ground. Which is why cities get grey snow banks and road slush, and people hate them. Also why modern diesels here in the US are mandated to use uria DEF to counteract that effect.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Somewhat. Most of the pollution is in the form of heavy hydrocarbons which stay low to the ground. Which is why cities get grey snow banks and road slush, and people hate them. Also why modern diesels here in the US are mandated to use uria DEF to counteract that effect.
Modern diesels offer complete combustion of hydrocarbons (stoichiometry), but with that, the high combustion temperatures bond oxygen to atmospheric nitrogen creating NOx. Through a process of Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) , urea (NH), is introduced to the exhaust stream returning the NOx to nitrogen, oxygen, and water.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Last edited:

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
In 2014 we put 27 panels on our roof. Washington state had a program to help with that (I know, a subsidy). It provides a little less than half of our electrical demand, and it is a grid tied system so someone else is probably using the energy at the time it is produced. We are considering adding to it as we have a west facing roof that is unused as of yet and here in the coast range it is said that a west facing roof is almost as good as a south facing, because of the morning ocean induced overcast. I am also interested in putting them on the ground in racks for the ease of cleaning. We have the room.
Being retired, if an EV comes to our house, (we are considering it), it could be charging most days, as we are mostly at home.
Now I know this is not a big return investment, you can generally do better on stocks, but we both feel that it is the right thing to do and we are fortunate in that we can afford it.
There have been a lot of fairly negative opinions of the future of this technology in this thread, I guess that is fairly typical of the human race. We don't seem to like change, whether it is that danged contraption known as the telephone, or motorized vehicles, or men going to the moon. There have always been the naysayers. Our engineering capabilities have always proven them (mostly) wrong. We do need an incentive to get that engineering done though, and for business in America the incentive is profit. So in the past these new technologies have been subsidized. The fact we get electricity in our homes across America is in large part due to subsidies. Is that not a good thing? Sure it costs money, but if it were only the free market driving it, there would likely still be large parts of rural America that weren't hooked up. The people affected would have been less productive without that power, and our entire economy would have suffered.
The problem with those subsidies, is that when the new business achieves success, the subsidies should pass away but they don't. the successful businesses are now empowered financially and politically to entrench themselves in our economy and sometimes even our minds. The oil and gas industry is a huge success, and doesn't need a nickel of the taxpayers money to survive into the future, EVs or no EVs. There are so many useful materials made from petroleum it is almost a shame that we just burn it.
Incentives are subsidies that attempt to kick start the development of new markets or products, and I think in the grand scheme of things, and with honest people driving them they are a good thing.

Mossback

Forum Supporter
The fact we get electricity in our homes across America is in large part due to subsidies. Is that not a good thing? Sure it costs money, but if it were only the free market driving it, there would likely still be large parts of rural America that weren't hooked up. The people affected would have been less productive without that power, and our entire economy would have suffered.
The TVA...
Large parts of rural America are currently lacking in broadband access, but the political will does not seem to be there to do for rural communities in regards to broadband, what the TVA did for electrification.

Which is really too bad, and rather shortsighted in my view.

Very good post...