The Real Mileage of an Electric Truck

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A buddy is driving a newer duramax. He tends to drive closer to the spee limit (nothing over 75 max) and in PA with turns and hills he still gets 30+mpg on the highway/decent country roads with speed limits around 55. He tows his drifter and mileage drops to mid 20’s mpg (I think)

I’m driving a ‘21 2.7L v6 ford. Doesn’t have the balls the duramax does but I’ll get 23mpg on the same highway/country roads and about 16mpg towing my boats (all light stuff).

In PA diesel is about 30-35% more expensive than gas - so oddly the cost to drive for the same use, is pretty similar. (Or at least that’s what I’ve convinced myself of cause that truck is a bad ass and I don’t want to want a new truck)

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I don't know about headwinds, but most threads around here have a lot of hot air in them. Not sure what that does for mileage...
Since drag is proportional to density, yes, colder denser air produces slightly more drag than warmer lighter air...
:)
Better mileage with hot air.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Speaking of bells and whistles, I’d love heated seats and remote start on my next truck.
Heated seats
Air conditioned seats
Heated steering wheel
Remote start
Cameras everywhere
Lane assist/alerts
Personalized settings for each driver- hit the button
Auto braking
On star
Maps
Mileage, def, oil, every alert possible
I’m forgetting a lot
Like I mentioned about 50+ computer chips I guess

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I was too cheap to go up to heated seats but I bought heated seat covers online and they were like $30. Not as nice as heated seats but work well enough.

The new fords have an app where you can remote start or unlock your truck. First time I’ve ever had those features remotely and like em

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
Just imagine what it might have cost Deshaun Watson if he’d have had multi-contoured, fold flat, heated and MASSAGING seats like Ford had in its trucks?

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Heated seats are soooooo nice. I have mine on all the time.
So does my wife and when I drive her vehicle, I always wonder why I am burning up. I have a half ton GMC with the Duramax diesel and get up to 28 mpg on the highway when not towing. The drift boat lowers it to about 19 and 14 with the camp trailer, which is an 18 ft RPod lightweight. The wind resistance is what lowers the mileage, rather than the weight. Speaking of bells and whistles, I love my heated steering wheel after a cold duck hunt or winter fishing trip. I’m happy to change to an EV, but they are being pushed before the technology and electric grid are ready, in my opinion.

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
When my son drives up from the coast south of SF to their Sunriver home, he stops at a Tesla Supercharger station (35,000 of such around the nation) in Klamath Falls and 'tops off' in 20 mins for $20. So a thousand mile roundtrip for $40 and 40 mins. Deal.
Have my sights on the Buzz, just need it to arrive and like the test drive.

View attachment 25939

I just wish the darn VW people would commit to a camper version of this. They have the full camper California VW van in Europe (re)introduced a few years ago but have this far refused to sell them in the US. Imagine that as an electric or a plug in hybrid or something.

I took my drivers test in my mom’s mid 80s baby poop brown camper van and drove it a lot in my learners permit days. 4 speed manual awesomeness. I almost requested emancipation when she sold it instead of letting me have it as my first car. Ended up having to spend all the money I made washing dishes to buy an old BMW 2002 with a broken gas gauge. With the VW I could have been a legend in high school and college. The BMW was tough to attach surfboard racks to and broke down constantly.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
The new Tundras are ugly as fuck.
AHrY34WL_o.gif

Not sure what I'm going to do but I kind of want a new truck.

This thread might have just cost me $50k.

Thanks y’all.

Don't do it.. just think of all the fishing and skiing you and your family could do... I bet you drive a nice truck already.. plus there's Texas Roadhouse to think about..

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I just wish the darn VW people would commit to a camper version of this. They have the full camper California VW van in Europe (re)introduced a few years ago but have this far refused to sell them in the US. Imagine that as an electric or a plug in hybrid or something.

I took my drivers test in my mom’s mid 80s baby poop brown camper van and drove it a lot in my learners permit days. 4 speed manual awesomeness. I almost requested emancipation when she sold it instead of letting me have it as my first car. Ended up having to spend all the money I made washing dishes to buy an old BMW 2002 with a broken gas gauge. With the VW I could have been a legend in high school and college. The BMW was tough to attach surfboard racks to and broke down constantly.
high roof conversion vans were my daily driver for my decades in Half Moon Bay, SB to semi quiver in the back....change into my wetsuit insude during winter months with the heater going...end of session, jump inside and peel off the wetsit with the heater going. Could not count the number of nights I spent sleeping on the sofa beds on either camping or surfing trips.
Industry pundits indicate the next version of the Chevy Express van will be based on the new Suburban platform with 4x4 as an option, as well as the full range of power plants including the 3.0 diesel. Game changer for the van market if they do.

Last edited:

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Couple of things. A gas F-150 is not for towing huge trailers; F-250 or F-350 is the ticket. I wonder if the electric F-150 is so-named because Ford will be bringing on stronger electric pickups? Anybody know?
Secondly, as others have mentioned, the Western Journal is not exactly interested in factual or politically-neutral reporting. There are some good media fact/bias check sites out there, like this one:
A 3500# trailer is well within the tow capacity of a F150. That isn't huge in anybody's book.

Everybody has their own biases. I get a kick out of comments like "well the gas mileage drops a bunch when towing too" So freaking what. Its the range towing of gas vs electric that is the deal breaker.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
If you bought into electric [trucks] right now, thank you for being a beta tester at MSRP.

In 30 years when I can go a reasonable distance on a charge and buy one I’ll thank you.

In 40 years when the battery shits out, I’ll hate you.
In 30 years your delivery of my raggedy old carcass to its final destination on one charge will be appreciated, though I'll likely not give a shit...so here's a pre-emptive thank you.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Just as the first gen Model T morphed into a Hemi Road Runner, today's batteries are just first gen products to get E-cars out the doors. There are multiple deeply funded companies competing to develop next gen batteries with a 500 mile range, stackable in trucks. Look around, there are dozens of articles on such development. And pricing will drop as the production numbers really ramp up.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What’s the cost of one? gonna take a long time to pay for the $20-30K over the value of your Tundra. Don’t forget that diesel is 15-20% more than regular, then there’s DEF. The 3.0 Duramx has 104 less horsepower but 60 more ft/lbs torque so I don’t think you’ll see a significant power gain. The Duramax are not without their issues, they aren’t cheap to repair.

I love the idea of a diesel. I especially love the idea of smaller displacement turbo diesels. They are a standard in other countries in SUV and smaller trucks. They last forever (good environmentally if it has a long service life) and provide great power and low end torque. I've not however been able to justify buying a diesel here in the American sense as far as a giant rig using Def fluid and high maintainance costs. I just don't tow heavy stuff where I would need it and have to put up with all the extra maintained cost that comes with it. A little diesel would get my attention. However in typical American fashion I'm sure it would be so corrupted with Def and emissions garbage it would never perform as designed or get the mileage it could.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Since drag is proportional to density, yes, colder denser air produces slightly more drag than warmer lighter air...
:)
Better mileage with hot air.

Less motor performance with hot air though. Obviously basic driving isn't a performance endeavour but it is noticeable on some old carburettor bikes I ride. Cold mornings at sea level they rip. Hot air and altitude not as much.