The Real Mileage of an Electric Truck

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Does very well towing our TT. You do take a hit on the MPG, but the diesel really shines going up mountain passes, passing other vehicles, or cruising in a headwind - it really doesn't GAF that you are towing. Expect 15 to 17 mpg if you are towing and driving interstate speeds with mountain passes.

However, on a rural, two lane highway (<60 mph) I get about 30mpg +/- not towing. It is really the wind resistance that gets you, because none of these trucks are aerodynamic. Wind resistance is proportional to the square of the speed, so there's twice as much wind resistance at 80 than there is at 57mph.

On a recent trip through WY, no drift boat, but a full load and a rooftop tent (more wind resistance) I got 22.1 mpg. That's about 700 miles of interstate at 75+mph, 700 miles of rural two-lane highway and 120 miles of really shitty forest "roads."
Mountain passes and high speeds are mpg killer in anything. The worst mileage we ever get is our trips to MT over passes and doing 80+. 22 mpg in a full size truck in those conditions is fantastic. Our Outback won't even do that.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have a Silverado 1 ton dually diesel
I’ve never even got close to anything over 20/22 mpg totally empty- on the highway.
It will tow/haul anything you want- at about 11-12 mpg. That $6.00/gal fuel isn’t much fun on the pocket book. But WTF - gotta have a little fun right??

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Going down the Duramax rabbit hole and seems that truck is legit.

Gonna head over to the dealer next week and kick the tires.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Bring the check book
You know if you had a camper you could haul the raft or the drift boat, unless Montana has an option to pull two rigs.
I think the duramax is a good product
They are beasts

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I seriously doubt that an EV truck is in my future. Our property is 250 miles from our Everett home. Once there, I’ve got 240 in the shop, but it’s getting there. Other trips can be well into 500 miles a day. Add to that the purchase price as a senior on a pension an SS. Why piss away all our investments when I can just keep my 2008 F150 running? But I’ll keep watching…
When we bought it home in Vermont, it came with a pretty ancient Maytag washer and dryer. Inefficient with water and energy and broke down fairly regularly.

We found a guy that had a barn full of them and he would come over and fix them when they broke, usually for about $40.

I kept thinking about replacing them, but the guy told me that just keeping these ones running for as long as possible kept them out of the landfill and avoided the environmental harm of manufacturing the new ones. Made sense to me.

My point is that keeping the F150 until you need a new rig and then looking at new options seems smart to me.

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

What’s the cost of one? gonna take a long time to pay for the $20-30K over the value of your Tundra. Don’t forget that diesel is 15-20% more than regular, then there’s DEF. The 3.0 Duramx has 104 less horsepower but 60 more ft/lbs torque so I don’t think you’ll see a significant power gain. The Duramax are not without their issues, they aren’t cheap to repair.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
This tread sure is getting some great mileage.

Agreed! It has some strange twists and turns

You all want to know why I LOVE my 6.2 Silverado? I love it because the office is just a couple miles away.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
On an expensive rig my wife talked me into an extended warranty- something I never go for. Ever .
But…….
For 80,000 miles they fix everything and oil change for life. There are over 50 or so computer dealies ( not a tech guy here) on the truck all covered. I’ve heard repairs can get expensive so we should be good for a bit. The one ton duramax is a fucking beast and beautiful to drive.
Nicest rig I’ve ever owned.
The Def kinda sucks but it can be overrun with a factory reset from what I have heard.
Voids the warranty

creekx

not crate trained
The 3.0 Duramx has 104 less horsepower but 60 more ft/lbs torque so I don’t think you’ll see a significant power gain
Max HP is fairly meaningless and that extra torque arrives early on a fairly flat curve. The significant power gain you will see is when towing uphill at 70mph/2,000rpm vs. at 55mph/high rpm with a V8.