The "How was your weekend?" thread...

Doublebluff

As sure as your sorrows are joys
Forum Supporter
Walleye on a flyrod has been a goal for me for a few years. I have caught them on the fly in the Midwest, but never in the Northwest. There are a couple places I have been trying where I think I have a chance, but getting deep enough and at the right place at the right time has been a challenge.

Sleeping quarters and fishing vessel
Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 8.50.21 PM.png

I caught some very nice smallmouth, nice enough for me at least.
Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 6.29.32 AM.png

But that was not the target. I worked hard to learn the water and figure out the structure and tried to get my clouser as close to bottom as possible. But I caught nothing but smallies and weeds over a couple days of trying. I’ll be back- I learn something new each time. If anyone has any ideas, I am all ears.

Probably the best fishing was when the big water had whitecaps and I fished to boat basin with my 4-weight. That was time well spent.
Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 6.26.23 AM.png
This personal record crappie plus yellow perch, smallies, bluegills… I even got a couple looks from carp. 4- and 5-weights in a boat basin can be a lot of fun.

I left a little frustrated but still determined to figure it out. On my way home I stopped at another boat launch and was pulling buggers with my trout rod. Lo and behold…
Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 6.30.20 AM.png
Not what I was after size-wise, but it counts.

The next day I took my 3-weight to a teeny pond to fish for bluegill or whatever. I got whatever…
Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 6.37.56 AM.png

It was a fun few days.

Shad

Life of the Party
Walleye on a flyrod has been a goal for me for a few years. I have caught them on the fly in the Midwest, but never in the Northwest. There are a couple places I have been trying where I think I have a chance, but getting deep enough and at the right place at the right time has been a challenge.

Sleeping quarters and fishing vessel
View attachment 16416

I caught some very nice smallmouth, nice enough for me at least.
View attachment 16419

But that was not the target. I worked hard to learn the water and figure out the structure and tried to get my clouser as close to bottom as possible. But I caught nothing but smallies and weeds over a couple days of trying. I’ll be back- I learn something new each time. If anyone has any ideas, I am all ears.

Probably the best fishing was when the big water had whitecaps and I fished to boat basin with my 4-weight. That was time well spent.
View attachment 16420
This personal record crappie plus yellow perch, smallies, bluegills… I even got a couple looks from carp. 4- and 5-weights in a boat basin can be a lot of fun.

I left a little frustrated but still determined to figure it out. On my way home I stopped at another boat launch and was pulling buggers with my trout rod. Lo and behold…
View attachment 16418
Not what I was after size-wise, but it counts.

The next day I took my 3-weight to a teeny pond to fish for bluegill or whatever. I got whatever…
View attachment 16417

It was a fun few days.
That's a terrific specimen of a crappie. And yeah, dinks count for species cred. Well done!

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I got a new boot on Saturday morning.

I’ve been fishing a couple of my favorite places here in PA the past several weeks that require walking in a few miles, followed by wading in very uneven, rocky bottom streams.

As a result, my left foot, ankle, and lower leg were really sore 2 weeks ago. That didn’t slow me down much though. Last week, I wrapped my foot and ankle with an ace bandage and was back at it. The fishing has been pretty good. Actually, really good.

By the time I got home last Thursday night after the another 2 day fishing trip my left foot and ankle were swollen a bit. Friday, it looked and felt worse.

I was the first person through the door when the Orthopedic Urgent Care center opened Saturday morning.
After an exam and x-rays, they sent me to the hospital for an ultrasound of my leg to make sure there were no blood clots.

Everything came out okay. No stress fractures, No blood clots. Probably just a good ole fashioned sprain.
The Doc told me to keep off my feet as much as possible this week, and when I do have to go out I’m supposed to wear this new boot.

View attachment 13262

The swelling has gone down completely now, and all of the pain has disappeared already. That just proves that fishing is good for your health. I can’t possibly just sit here doing nothing. I think I’ll go back out fishing again on Wednesday.
I got that same boot. I couldn’t go. Just got this from my girls on the Sacramento River.

7FCF1E5B-B251-4066-B511-B2EF11B7004E.jpeg

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When you posted this ? it was rain and more rain.
Rivers were browned out.
Now it is a new weekend and it is rainy again.
Maybe I'll get some fishing in on Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

longputt

Steelhead
"How's your weekend"....I love this post....just go fishing.

Make your own stories and post them and we'll like/love them.

BTW 2 weeks ago I was skunked...big time...so don't feel bad it happens.

I have to go to Ukraine next week...I'm not even taking my pack rod...I hope to get in and get out.

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter

I have to go to Ukraine next week...I'm not even taking my pack rod...I hope to get in and get out.
Be safe!

Coach Potter

Life of the Party

Good luck with that!

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
I too went for a walk in the woods today. 52 miles from the front door, so the drive is reasonable. Good variety of habitats, all classic pacific north west. The first mile of trail is filled with giants, 300-500 year old Douglas fir.9E58EBA6-A169-4FD7-AC33-7FEE3EEA5144.jpeg
Passed through several 782459E2-C516-4C6D-8871-D41DCFEA8978.jpeg2298DFC3-AFDD-4190-A761-B14D8D753EC5.jpegF2855DE3-22C7-4DC7-A3FF-4FF28D24A957.jpegdistinct habitat zones

Attachments

• 26C29CB4-48CE-46A9-BF2C-38CEAAC0F9C4.jpeg
    26C29CB4-48CE-46A9-BF2C-38CEAAC0F9C4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I really miss those lush forests, thanks for posting those up guys.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I was out of town for a week (MT/WY) and working through the final stages of a kitchen remodel/bathroom remodel this weekend. That means a total of 2 hours of fishing for me over the last three weekends. All in the Firehole in YNP where I spent the first 1.5 hours hunting down sporadic risers and losing two fish and the last half hour pitching a white bugger and hooking 7 (3 browns landed).

Roadside grizzly….

CF6D56B5-2D9C-477B-B757-52F38531EB3E.jpeg

Spent a lot of time doing this…

4850376A-091F-4ADA-A6BC-E75952D9D533.jpeg

Watching these…

19612B03-8F1B-4D0B-8F1E-4E7EF76283A6.jpeg

This weekend I installed my kitchens backsplash (still need to grout) and installed new faucets/plumbing in 5 bathrooms. Also cleaned my truck, went to the dump, mowed the lawn and tidied up the garage. Also did a little work work. One of busiest years I have ever been a part of at my job.

505C9543-D2E7-4CD0-9AE9-2303251CACAA.jpeg

2C69EC11-6C60-4F6B-B64C-EA4C10886D02.jpeg

I had to sacrifice fishing this weekend. I have a two week AK trip and then coho coming up. All this sh*t has to get done now!