Puget Sound

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
No blackmouth this morning. I have found the beaches I target them from are not really worth it unless you fish them on a big incoming. With the closures and day limitations you have to fish when you can though.

Still not a bad way (a tad chilly) to enjoy a sunrise.

487B909D-46C0-4EDA-A2CB-C4281CA8EC7A.jpeg

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Fishing sucked ass today. You’d think with nearly a 15’ exchange on the afternoon outgoing that the water would move, but it didn’t. Saw maybe six fish rise. None wanted to play.
Way too nice and zero wind resulted in mirror flat water.

Got delayed on my way home by two pretty serious accidents. One just east of Minter Creek and the other on the westbound exit off to Purdy almost in front on Pearls. Lots of cops, fire and aid.

Anyone missing a glove, maybe three or a binky? ;)
SF

View attachment 508
DK Metcalf’s pacifier
Did we cut him??

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Started late today and got my ass kicked by the southerly wind. One small cutt to hand.
Did find a nice blue nugget today. Likely old transformer glass. No perfume was smelled today.
SF

8F7A71D6-C987-46F0-9445-EAB25673E91A.jpeg

Bagman

Steelhead
Started late today and got my ass kicked by the southerly wind. One small cutt to hand.
Did find a nice blue nugget today. Likely old transformer glass. No perfume was smelled today.
SF

View attachment 6905
Oh my lost of smell, does you feel feverish. Hang in there Stoney we will send help. Only one small cut dam this may be worse then I thought. 😳

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Went from burning cold yesterday morning to sloppy cold today. Can be tough this time of year for beach guys. 5 hours, 4 beaches, 3 hookups, 2 landed fish and one wet fisherman!

Biggest of the day….probably went a whopping 13 inches!

08C406B5-C714-4068-9CF1-DAA6331E4907.jpeg

Rain had stopped for a bit so took off the soggy raincoat for the last beach. Oops…..

31285E74-26C3-4BD3-8D49-20F01236120C.jpeg

Caught some fish the and enjoyed the quiet, empty beaches though. The works for me in February.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Insanely beautiful day on the sound today. Way warmer than I expected as well. Was way over dressed and we were all peeling layers before lunch.

Definitely not my favorite kind of weather for productive fishing, and unfortunately the fish agreed. We found fish, but not a ton and they weren't super cooperative. Had our best action on large half and half patterns near the end of the day where we found some cooperative fish, but still wasn't easy. Had some follows and half assed grabs, but they weren't super cooperative no matter what. Big outgoing but the current was weird and didn't really set up at several spots like I would have expected. Our best action came off one decent point where some small rips did form, and had a little bit of sustained action for a while.

Highlight of the day was @justintimetofish in the bow briefly hooking one of the largest cutthroat I've seen in quite a while. I was standing on my seat for a good vantage point and we both saw a nice fish come in hot and swipe at his fly before turning and darting off. He kept stripping and the fish turned around and came in like a missile and from my vantage point I watched the fish inhale the 4" fly and start a couple head shakes. Unfortunately this was between strips and he never felt it, and the fish spit the hook before he came tight. Even then it chased the fly right to the boat and ate it three more times but sadly it never stuck. When it got close to the boat we saw exactly how large it was and it was a friggen monster. Been a long time since I've seen such a large fish act that aggressively. That one got my blood pumping!

Hard to complain about spending such a beautiful day on the water, even if it wasn't ideal fishing conditions.

And just to prove cutthroat can be assholes, the second largest fish I saw today, in the 17-18" range, jumped clear out of the water about 50 feet in front of us, near the beach, directly between these two nets where there was ZERO chance of getting a fly from any position. Would have loved to punish that fish with a jab of sharp steel for his antics. Such an asshole.

20220305_120017.jpg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Came home from fishing and it was either tie flies and drink beer or not waste a nice afternoon and hit the beach. So I had a couple beers and walked to the beach. ;)
Lots of beer drinking and ganga smoke in the air down on the beach with folks enjoying themselves in the nice weather.
Nice having the beach a less then five minute walk from your house.
T shirt weather in March. Hard to beat.
SF

AAA2F094-0D24-4371-B34C-B02E2B7785FC.jpeg

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Came home from fishing and it was either tie flies and drink beer or not waste a nice afternoon and hit the beach. So I had a couple beers and walked to the beach. ;)
Lots of beer drinking and ganga smoke in the air down on the beach with folks enjoying themselves in the nice weather.
Nice having the beach a less then five minute walk from your house.
T shirt weather in March. Hard to beat.
SF

View attachment 7817

To damn nice!

Greg Price

Steelhead
Beautiful day on a couple popular beaches near Gig Harbor. Had only one real bite all day. It exploded on a gurgler top water not far from shore in evening after sun was off the water. Unfortunately, I set the hook way to fast and pulled the fly out of the greedy fish's mouth. This sea trash was too big to fit in my stripping basket, so I left it :(IMG_20220305_160527747_HDR.jpg

BryanG

Just Hatched
Beautiful day on a couple popular beaches near Gig Harbor. Had only one real bite all day. It exploded on a gurgler top water not far from shore in evening after sun was off the water. Unfortunately, I set the hook way to fast and pulled the fly out of the greedy fish's mouth. This sea trash was too big to fit in my stripping basket, so I left it :(View attachment 7845
Had a very similar day. One grab but I trout set and pulled the hook! Stupid me. Heck of a day though.

flybill

Life of the Party
Going out with Leland tomorrow morning! It will be fun! Will post a few pictures.. maybe..

Saw some porpoise, sea lions, many birds and a few other fisherman... but no fish today! Was a nice day to get out and catch and release a few cigars!!

Sound03072022.jpg

Last edited:

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
I spent last Friday hitting various beaches with Dave from Emerald Water Anglers and @OlyFarq joined us for a while. Great day with friends despite the lack of cooperative fish.

BTW: between COVID and the W Seattle bridge being out EWA has had a really tough few years. Pay a visit and show them some love if you can!!

IMG_6216.jpeg

Last edited: