Search results

1. Pink Nighty

Lady Scarlett Pheasant Spey, a memorial fly.

My oldest friend called me earlier this week, to let me know he had to put his red setter Scarlett down the night before. Scarlett was the last in a line of dogs going back to his childhood. Previously he had bred, trained and sold setters, and his connection to his dogs is something I've always...
  2. Pink Nighty

2024 Skagit Steelhead

Anybody have any info on this? Havent heard a projection yet, seems to be late in the year for that.
  3. Pink Nighty

Flies that intentionally spin.

Reading about @jasmillo and his Hot Spinning Tuna Fly got me thinking a thought I've thought before and I want to think it in public now. I've often wanted a fly that behaves like a spinner. Something that would spin under tension as it swung across a run. Enough to need a swivel in the leader...
  4. Pink Nighty

Too many humpies daddy!

Yesterday I had the good fortune to take my best friend, his son (6) and my daughter (7) up on the skagit to fish for pinks and coho. This friend of mine has been my best friend and fishing buddy since I was 5 years old. We learned to fish drowning worms for cutts in a little creek near our...
  5. Pink Nighty

Can i even fish the sky?

Pretty straightforward question for yall. I have a friend staying in monroe this week, wants to wet some flies. Catch and release, single barbless, yadda yada... Is the river itself closed to all fishing or is it just the retention seasons that are janky this year? I'm hoping to mess around...
  6. Pink Nighty

Caring for a pheasant carcass

A buddy shot a beautiful rooster this morning and offered me the carcass as I was over to pick up some mallard flanks. He has removed the meat, and my plan is to skin it off the bones relatively intact. Once I get it there, how should I go about drying/curing/de-lousing the skin? Not looking to...
  7. Pink Nighty

Derelict fishing gear

Heres something I havent seen much here, but I'm gonna do it. Trigger Warning: fucking disgusting display of neglect, laziness and disregard for the foundation of life in this part of the world. When I saw it I was shaking mad and willing to say things I wouldnt want heard in public, so yah...
  8. Pink Nighty

Repairing broken guides

I had an issue last time out on the river. When I put together my rod the middle ferrule were a bit tight but I pushed on and fished. When I went to break down, it was STUCK like all hell. I was able to twist it about a quarter turn and gain a little less than half an inch, but in the process I...
  9. Pink Nighty

Miyawaki popper hook replacement failure, or a Tale of Fat Fingers

So I've been fishing a lot of miyawaki poppers on sinking lines and thrashing the hooks pretty decently. I went to replace one and it came off easily but I'll be dammed if I can get the mono through the eye of a replacement. The replacement has an eye slightly larger than the original as well...
  10. Pink Nighty

Dave Rizzuto

For those of you in the Spokane area who may have met this crotchety old boulder on the Spokane or Little Spokane. Dave Rizzuto passed away suddenly today. Dave was my moms cousin and several years her senior, close to 40 years older than me. Dave didnt have much to say most of the time, and...
  11. Pink Nighty

Go count fish in AK.

Hey yall, one of my old fishing buddies is a bio up in ak. They are having a tough time staffing for this summer and he asked me if I knew anyone interested. Qualifications are "at least a hs diploma, ideally can visually identify the salmon species, drive a boat and is not a total doosh." Pay...
  12. Pink Nighty

Help me start tying? Pretty please?

I am brand new to fly tying. As a young kid (like 8-10) I had a vice and a couple tools and threw some feathers on hooks, but that's it. About 10 years ago I wanted to start again and bought a tool kit and found the parts inoperably shitty. This left me a little discouraged and skittish to...
  13. Pink Nighty

North of North Sound SRC hunt

I read a lot of pessimism about fishing for SRC in the North Sound. And the "North sound" is defined as anything north of Seattle it appears. From general tone, it appears that Whidbey is the last point north of productive SRC water. I live a bit north of there in Blaine. And while I have a...
  14. Pink Nighty

What if this works? Or A Fool and His Rod, Easily Separated

A question I've learned to ask myself when fishing is "What if this works?" The first time I remember consciously asking that I was perched atop slick rocks 6 feet above a 30ft skagit hole plunking for spring chinook. If I hooked up, landing the fish would become secondary to surviving the...
  15. Pink Nighty

Introduction

Hello there PNWFF! My name is Ben, a longtime non-consensual lurker at WFF. I say that because for the last several years I have attempted to join WFF many times yet never got it to actually go through. On this standard alone I find this forum already miles ahead of WFF. I am your...