Go count fish in AK.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Hey yall, one of my old fishing buddies is a bio up in ak. They are having a tough time staffing for this summer and he asked me if I knew anyone interested. Qualifications are "at least a hs diploma, ideally can visually identify the salmon species, drive a boat and is not a total doosh."

Pay is 25.77/hour with 10 hours of OT on average. Housing provided in Bethel.

If you or someone you know is interested, send me a PM and I'll get you in touch.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hey yall, one of my old fishing buddies is a bio up in ak. They are having a tough time staffing for this summer and he asked me if I knew anyone interested. Qualifications are "at least a hs diploma, ideally can visually identify the salmon species, drive a boat and is not a total doosh."

Pay is 25.77/hour with 10 hours of OT on average. Housing provided in Bethel.

If you or someone you know is interested, send me a PM and I'll get you in touch.

If this was 10 years ago (sans kid and wife), it’d be a hell yeah from me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak

Pescaphile

Steelhead
I don't know anything about the specific position, but much of the escapement monitoring is done by counting fish passing through a fixed picket weir. These are remote sites (boat or plane access) and staff stay at the weir in a camp. My nephew has been doing this in this area on a Kuskokwim River tributary the last few seasons and I've known several folks who've done it in other areas of the state. Working in a remote camp environment can be fun and is a good way to not spend your paycheck.

Last edited:

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
I don't know anything about the specific position, but much of the escapement monitoring is done by counting fish passing through a fixed picket weir. These are remote sites (boat or plane access) and staff stay at the weir in a camp. My nephew has been doing this in this are on a Kuskokwim River tributary the last few seasons and I've known several folks who've done it in other areas of the state. Working in a remote camp environment can be fun and is a good way to not spend your paycheck.
I spent 4 summers in AK working in remote salmon canneries on Kodiak Island and up in Bristol Bay while in high school. You don’t spend your money and I learned how to easily identify sockeye, coho, chinook, pink and chum.

Reactions: Zak

camtheflyman

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Oh man, where was this job last year. I’ve worked in Alaska I’ve been wanting to go back, just got a perm with the Forest Service though. I’m sure someone will jump in the opportunity