What if this works? Or A Fool and His Rod, Easily Separated

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
A question I've learned to ask myself when fishing is "What if this works?" The first time I remember consciously asking that I was perched atop slick rocks 6 feet above a 30ft skagit hole plunking for spring chinook. If I hooked up, landing the fish would become secondary to surviving the encounter myself. Its saved me from a few stupid decisions, and helps me make a gameplan for when I'm solo fishing.

This is a time I forgot to ask that question. It is long winded and full of likely unnecessary context. This is likely an accurate description of myself.

In december I returned to my river with my baby on my back. A month bookended by devastating, record smashing floods had mercifully come to a close. The deck had been reshuffled and I soon learned that all of my runs have been displaced, filled, made inaccessible or otherwise rendered unfishable. We would be exploring today.

I choose a pullout I've pondered before but never taken. A modest bushwack down the trail reveals an expansive riverbank, maybe half a mile to the actual water. But on that water I catch a glimpse of what I'm looking for, a classic NF swing run.

For those unfamiliar with the NF sack, "classic" is a relative term. This girl hates to lay down, she runs hard and fast and frothy. Damn near always. So a classic run here is broken down like this.

60% of the run contains an ungodly fast current, entirely unfishable but will gladly ruin your swing if you cast across it. 30% of the run is stillwater, sometimes flowing upstream in response to the hellscape across the river. This water is also unswingable, even coming in hot to it will leave you snagged on the hang.

And then there is that 10%. Just off the fast water but before the slack. 3-6ft wide, 3-6ft deep of brisk walk/slow jog water. If you squint, you can convince yourself that this is the water those guys online have been talking about. If you close your eyes and imagine a different run on a different river, you might even be able to see a fish in it.

I slog through the still squilching flood mud with my rod in hand, 40 pounds of baby/gear on my back and reach the head of the run. Roughly 200 yards long, the best water lay in the top 50 yards. At about 75 yards down the run, a single log lay in the middle of the 10% water, pointing downstream with a decent rootwad at the upstream end.

I begin working the run. To get the swing I need to land the tip in the fast water, throw a big mend to line the head up along the seam and then lead it in to the slow water. I work down, getting through most of the best water without a bump when it hit.

Halfway through the swing the reel just exploded. I swear i heard the screech before I felt the grab. A green headed buck chum comes flying out of the water, 15 pounds of winters fury porpoising across the run. Its immediately clear to me that this is my largest, hottest fish I've ever swung. He is immediately in the heavy current and flying downstream. I hear the backing knot go, I'm not concerned, this reel is huge and has several hundred yards of fresh backing. I do realize it's time to follow this guy down as he will not be returning to me.

In my excitement I missed a critical bit of information. The chum had taken my fly and crossed back over the run, and headed down directly alongside the log with the rootwad. After taking 10 or so steps I realized my line was running through the roots and that I would not be able to walk down the run without clearing it. I'm scared to try and break it off, as the backing is rubbing across the branches and I fear it breaking there and not at the fly.

I wade towards the roots, reel screaming and baby on my back. I cannot go past my waist with the baby and I cannot find a shallow path to the log. I race back upstream, trying to find a wide enough angle to free my line so I can chase. Reel is getting precariously low on backing, fish was last seen jumping about 200 yards downstream but is still attached and still quite upset.

I cannot find the angle. I believe the line had eaten into a substantial root like a damn saw, as no amount of rod flailing was able to budge it.

I resign myself to losing the line and bring my palm to the reel. The instant I stop it, it flies off the reel seat and is yanked into the first guide. Unfortunately, on my 11'8 Echo Swing the first guide on the rod is attached to the second of 4 pieces. On contact with the reel the top 3 sections of my rod are yanked off the handle and fly at warp speed into and then through the rootwad. Never to be seen again. I stand there, handle in hand now much lighter. And I scream.

So many lessons on that day. Firstly, I didnt expect it to work. I've mostly caught bulls and smaller salmon swinging, fish that did not test my gear. Laziness on my part for not checking my reel connection often yet leaving it rigged for most of the season.

That log in hindsight was clearly a problem, but one that could be mitigated with some foresight. Had it been on my mind, simply keeping a high rod and carefully moving down would have allowed me to clear the roots and chase. It was in not analyzing the hazards beforehand that I allowed my adrenaline to overlook it in the moment.

My baby got to hear daddy yell some new words that day. But because echo is awesome (so awesome that they probably deserve their own post for their heroics here) I had a brand new rod at a HEFTY discount 4 days later. Truly cant say enough about them, fantastic customer service and clutch performance.

I'll open this to the floor, when have you been stupid while fishing? What did it cost you? What did you learn?

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I was fishing the Skagit one winter day and was using a 5wt rod. Was fishing for Sea runs. Well I hooked a Chum. I had on a 8lb tippet. He went down stream and I followed a little bit. Soon he turned around and came back towards me. I got some line back. I soon had him close to the beach on the river got ready to remove the hook and it fell out. He turned around and just swam off. It put quite a bend in my 5wt rod almost double. The rod was a GL3 9'. One hell of a good rod.

Rvrfisher360

Floatin’
Forum Supporter
A question I've learned to ask myself when fishing is "What if this works?" The first time I remember consciously asking that I was perched atop slick rocks 6 feet above a 30ft skagit hole plunking for spring chinook. If I hooked up, landing the fish would become secondary to surviving the encounter myself. Its saved me from a few stupid decisions, and helps me make a gameplan for when I'm solo fishing.
Are you openly admitting to being a big eddy plunker? I think all the cig butts on that rock would lighten your fall :ROFLMAO:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Glad you're both OK.
Sheridan Anderson's 4th commandment, "Thou shalt cunningly plan thy strategy in advance of each hole, pocket and riffle." Great reminder that includes what happens after the hookup.
Two years ago we discovered after grandpa put a hook from a rapalla plug in his hand and screamed shit a bunch of times the little ones will repeat it. We're doing better these days.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I resign myself to losing the line and bring my palm to the reel. The instant I stop it, it flies off the reel seat and is yanked into the first guide. Unfortunately, on my 11'8 Echo Swing the first guide on the rod is attached to the second of 4 pieces. On contact with the reel the top 3 sections of my rod are yanked off the handle and fly at warp speed into and then through the rootwad. Never to be seen again. I stand there, handle in hand now much lighter. And I scream.
Great story, well written! 👏
I think most 4 piece rods are set up this way. All of mine are. It never occurred to me that this could happen. Duly noted.

As to your question, I've done some stupid stuff fishing but for the most part the consequences have never been too dire. I thought your story might be going in a different direction, with your kid on your back. I had some learning to do as to where the backpack-kid fishing might make sense. E.g., fishing the steep, slippery, boulder-hopping, cascade-climbing little blue lines was a terrible choice. But, I just wanted the boy to actually see some fish caught!

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
But because echo is awesome (so awesome that they probably deserve their own post for their heroics here) I had a brand new rod at a HEFTY discount 4 days later. Truly cant say enough about them, fantastic customer service and clutch performance.

I'll open this to the floor, when have you been stupid while fishing? What did it cost you? What did you learn?
Man, great story. Glad to hear that Echo hooked you up. Had a similar situation years back where I lost sections of a loop blue line 12'8 8wt. I was trying to get a fly unstuck and put half the rod underwater so I could give the tip a little push in hopes of dislodging the fly from the rootwad. Shit didn't go down as planned (tip also got stuck on the root wad) and I lost the tip section.

When I called Loop to see what options I had they essentially told me to fuck off. I still have the other three sections of that rod. I think I keep them around to remind me not to be an idiot. Hasn't worked though. 🤪

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I was sweatin' reading this thinking you were going to go in the drink with your kid on your back.

Yeah, I hear that guy in Echo's customer service is real top notch, *cough, cough*.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Great story, well written! 👏
I think most 4 piece rods are set up this way. All of mine are. It never occurred to me that this could happen. Duly noted.

As to your question, I've done some stupid stuff fishing but for the most part the consequences have never been too dire. I thought your story might be going in a different direction, with your kid on your back. I had some learning to do as to where the backpack-kid fishing might make sense. E.g., fishing the steep, slippery, boulder-hopping, cascade-climbing little blue lines was a terrible choice. But, I just wanted the boy to actually see some fish caught!
Definitely a balance there with wanting to show kids the cool stuff but also wanting them to return unscathed to mom. With the baby I don't cross water of any depth/velocity, regardless of how well the far bank might swing 😉

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Man, great story. Glad to hear that Echo hooked you up. Had a similar situation years back where I lost sections of a loop blue line 12'8 8wt. I was trying to get a fly unstuck and put half the rod underwater so I could give the tip a little push in hopes of dislodging the fly from the rootwad. Shit didn't go down as planned (tip also got stuck on the root wad) and I lost the tip section.

When I called Loop to see what options I had they essentially told me to fuck off. I still have the other three sections of that rod. I think I keep them around to remind me not to be an idiot. Hasn't worked though. 🤪
Ouch! I'd already had a claim in on this rod for a mostly cosmetic issue on the handle. They offered to fix it if I shipped it to them, or they could get me a new handle when one became available, which would be a while they said. I chose to keep the rod as it was mid season and my only option.

2 months later this happens, so I pick up that email thread, tell them I won't need that handle anymore and tell them this story. Asked pretty please maybe there is something we could do? And they gave me a new rod half off, on the river 4 days later.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Definitely a balance there with wanting to show kids the cool stuff but also wanting them to return unscathed to mom. With the baby I don't cross water of any depth/velocity, regardless of how well the far bank might swing 😉

No judgement here! I took my kid on her first backcountry canoe camping trip when she was 5 weeks old.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Happy to hear you and your baby didn't go for a swim. I was waiting for it.

Man, that's rough, watching 3/4 of your rod go "flying off the handle". Kind of brings new meaning to that phrase.

Doublebluff

As sure as your sorrows are joys
Forum Supporter
great story! thanks for posting.

I have been lucky I haven't owned more boats or I think that is where my stupid/dangerous stuff would have evolved.

When I lived in Montana I had a lot of trouble wading too far out on the bottom end of gravel islands and having the rocks get pulled out from under my feet. I recall a few really sketchy water-treads down to the next shallow spot.