Flies that intentionally spin.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Reading about @jasmillo and his Hot Spinning Tuna Fly got me thinking a thought I've thought before and I want to think it in public now.

I've often wanted a fly that behaves like a spinner. Something that would spin under tension as it swung across a run. Enough to need a swivel in the leader. Too many times I've run every color of flashy fly through a run with coho to no avail, only to have small spinners get hammered in the same presentation.

Anybody tie/swing flies that twist on purpose? How do you do it and how does it fish?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Here are a couple I messed around with for beach coho a long time ago. Here is what I came up with.
I caught fish on both, but I wouldn’t say they were better than a non spinning fly. I also didn’t burn a lot of fishing time trying them.
Casting the one with the rubber angle head wasn’t exactly fun. The built in swivels definitely helped eliminate line twist and to achieve the spin.
SF

IMG_5033.jpeg
IMG_5032.jpeg

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
When you spiral a hackle up a hook, like with a wooly worm, it makes a natural screw. My leader tells me it spins. Only thing holding it back is probably the hook. A short stiff hackle and a long hook shank may do something..