Your bucket list

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
At one time in the past. Maybe 50 years ago or so they planted some Grayling in a lake in the Sultan Basin. Don't know if they ever took or just died off. But it was a lake in the hills.

wetline dave

Steelhead
As for 100 plus pound fish in the Elwa, yes it is probably possible. Only if nets are gone and the fish are allowed the time in the salt to grow that big. The time duration on salt water is a genetic thing I am sure as it is related to maturity. How long it takes to fully mature.

My basis for this is based on first, a King I caught 10 or 12 years ago on Oct. 31st that was 64 inches long and physically measured. It was dime bright and definitely not a spawner for that year. How heavey was it, your guess is as good as mine or better. It was a deep bodied fish and I am going to quess in retro maybe around 20inches back to belly. My Quess is around 70 pounds.

The second reason is a fish I saw in an un named hatchery that scaled at 123 pounds and was told no records would be listed for this particular fish. How it missed the nets and made it back to the hatchery is probably a minor miracle. How it managed to get up the creek to the hatchery would have been worth the price of admission.

This was maybe 11 years ago.

Dave

Chris Bellows

Steelhead
A more realistic Elwha bucket list would be a backpack, 6 wt, and a box full of muddlers for summer steelhead if it ever reopens. Too bad it will likely be a gong show in the internet age, even with the hiking requirement.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
A more realistic Elwha bucket list would be a backpack, 6 wt, and a box full of muddlers for summer steelhead if it ever reopens. Too bad it will likely be a gong show in the internet age, even with the hiking requirement.
Glad I hit it first in 1984..many years ago now when there was nary a soul I recall (maybe a couple of people my brother and I ran into).

It would be crushed in modern times. I would only hike it now in the worst weather on the edge of Winter.

My bucket list. Iceland Brown trout for now. OK-> +Labrador brookies. -> +Scotland.. River Tay grayling..Loch Leven browns in its namesake (as seen below..never fished it but saw it from a beautiful high vantage point)

Last edited:

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
If you all are talking big Salmon. The Skagit used to get some big kings. Was up at the town of Newhalem in the fall one year and in the pool there was one very big King. There was a child fishing off a bridge and hooked it. It jus shook it's head and laughed at that kid. His line parted

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
In no particular order, as in 'Rountoit:

GT's at Christmas Island

Hawaii bonefish, (this might happen soon depending on how i heal up.)

Lingcod on fly

Albacore on fly

Cobia

Any species with my daughter.

Thanks to everyone's input I have to add 2 more:
1) Taimen
2) Argentine Submarines

Last edited:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've already knocked a few off my bucket list, including Iceland, upper Patagonia in Argentina...and the Katmai in AK (several times, now an annual trip)...I've booked and attempted to go to Kamchatka twice, both times having the trip cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances...

Still on my list:

New Zealand
Tasmania
Chile
Seychelles
Tetairoa
Knocked one off the list last week…4 more to go

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Tom, have you taken the trail from Illabot Creek Road in the last couple years? I'm looking for info on what the condition of the trail is.
No, no recent intel to share.