Your bucket list

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Yep, thats how I usually handle it.

I'll usually get up and be on the water at first light, back to the airbnb by the time family is waking up, I head back out during my kids naptime, and then after she goes to bed. it works!
You're going to love it when they are old enough to go fishing with you. It's such a blast.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I get it, it is not Iceland, Belize, Russia etc. But if any of you ever make it to SW Montana, you have an open seat in my boat. Regardless if we've gone round and round on the net, in real life I go out of my way to play a good host. It is my way of giving something back to the community.

That even goes for the folks that have me on ignore.
Beware what you wish for...I may hit you up on this...

Adrian M

Steelhead
You're going to love it when they are old enough to go fishing with you. It's such a blast.
My daughter is 8 now. I have the echo gecko rod for her to use. you bet she's going to get some casting in and hopefully catching! We've done lots of lake fishing and she's caught plenty of fish. Her first was on a scooby doo zebco pole that was 3 ft long at the most. caught at a notorious lake in western washington, fish was 18" and i'm surprised the rod didn't pull out of her hand.

Last edited:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've already knocked a few off my bucket list, including Iceland, upper Patagonia in Argentina...and the Katmai in AK (several times, now an annual trip)...I've booked and attempted to go to Kamchatka twice, both times having the trip cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances...

Still on my list:

New Zealand
Tasmania
Chile
Seychelles
Tetairoa

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Missoula is a nice town, lost of good fishing close by.
Yeah, but it's starting to get crowded. It used to be a sleepy place but not anymore. The fishing is OK but not the crowds. I went there last year as I wanted something from Cabela's. It took a long time to get back to the freeway and get the hell out of there. I just won't go there again.

Mike Ediger

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I don't love long distance travel. I have never cared about going somewhere tropical and swinging a 9-10 wt all day hoping for 1 or 2 fish. Sure I would love to go after big bows in AK or fish some of the meadow streams that I see @swimmy and others from MT post reports and pictures, or catching big browns on a streamer in a small stream, and a trip like that is probably realistic at some point. But while this is a bit corny, my bucket list trips are just more time spent on a small cutty stream with a 4wt. A couple of the best trips of my life are SW Alberta, SE BC, ID, a 4wt and a cutthroat stream. I love the mountains, the remoteness, and the scenery. I have hiked into a meadow full of elk, almost had a elk calf take me out as she came down the hill and hit the trail I was hiking, had a wolf come up the other side of a small stream and just stare at me like I was an alien, seen bears, moose, cats, had a beaver more than once slap their tail at me from about 2' away when I didn't see them coming up a stream about 4' across, and many more stories like that. Some trips are solo, some are with 1 -2 good friends, most are small mountain streams with lite rods. Sitting around a campfire over good food, and chatting till it is the middle of the night. Reading a Louis L'Amour book around the campfire. A couple of my best trips have been late Oct camping and we get snowed on but catch cutties all day. I just want more of those trips.
The photos below are from some of these trips.

Attachments

• A532AF00-220B-480A-BA47-19C14457E28E.jpeg
    A532AF00-220B-480A-BA47-19C14457E28E.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 17
  • AFF69261-F234-4789-B437-33C4C1F02950.jpeg
    AFF69261-F234-4789-B437-33C4C1F02950.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 16
  • E996DF10-B13A-4CD2-BF31-42E84A2612FD.jpeg
    E996DF10-B13A-4CD2-BF31-42E84A2612FD.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 2C768E63-7537-4184-B72D-FD7CB110A049.jpeg
    2C768E63-7537-4184-B72D-FD7CB110A049.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 60EDFE24-8F65-4B3E-8B71-B8F3E3056502.jpeg
    60EDFE24-8F65-4B3E-8B71-B8F3E3056502.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
I get it, it is not Iceland, Belize, Russia etc. But if any of you ever make it to SW Montana, you have an open seat in my boat. Regardless if we've gone round and round on the net, in real life I go out of my way to play a good host. It is my way of giving something back to the community.

That even goes for the folks that have me on ignore.
I need to get my head out of my ass and come visit you this year…

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Spend a week up in Hayward, WI musky country.

A close second would be spend a week down in Baja...even if all I catch are jacks....just gimme stuff down there that pulls hard.

Last edited:

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
i always wanted to catch a wild steelhead on the hoh or solduc

but i think that ship has sailed. I should have put in more time when it was not entirely ruined.
You can still do that, it'll just take patience and an investment of time and brainpower. The best way to support those rivers is to get out there, fish them with a conservation mindset and advocate for meaningful change as opposed to fiddling round the edges with sportfishing regs.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Mine isn’t so much location-based as it is species-based with a couple of twists:

To be checked-off:
1. Fish must be “to hand”. No LDR equivocating.
2. Must be caught on a fly tied by a family member (wife, sons, or myself).

Which means I have to re-catch a number of these.

☑ Albacore

☐ Alligator Gar

☐ Arctic Greyling

☑ Barracuda

☑ Bass (LMB)

☑ Bass (SMB)

☐ Beardslee Trout

☐ Billfish

☐ Bluegill

☐ Bonefish

☐ Brook Trout

☐ Brown Trout

☑ Bull Trout

☐ Carp

☑ Crappie

☐ Dolly Varden

☐ False Albacore

☐ GT

☐ Golden Trout

☐ Golden Dorado

☐ Greenback Cutthroat

☐ Grouper

☐ Kokanee

☐ Lahontan Cutthroat

☐ Lingcod

☐ Mahi Mahi

☑ Mountain Whitefish

☐ Muskie

☐ Panfish

☑ Pumpkinseed

☐ Peacock Bass

☑ Pea mouth Chubb

☑ Perch

☑ Yellow Perch

☐ Pike

☐ Permit

☐ Pickerel

☑ Pikeminnow

☐ Queenfish

☑ Rainbow Trout

☐ Redfish

☐ Rooster fish

☐ Salmon

☑ Chinook

☑ Chum

☑ Coho

☑ Pink

☑ Sockeye

Sea-run Brown Trout

☐ Shad

☐ Snapper

☐ Snook

☐ Spanish Mackerel

☐ Striped Bass

☐ Tarpon

☐ Tiger trout

☐ Triple Tail

☐ Wahoo

Last edited:
You can still do that, it'll just take patience and an investment of time and brainpower. The best way to support those rivers is to get out there, fish them with a conservation mindset and advocate for meaningful change as opposed to fiddling round the edges with sportfishing regs.
it would also take me discarding all my ethics and morals

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Pavonnes (surfing) - the worlds longest left? I'm goofy and can't surf a right to save my life but a mile long left sounds pretty rad

Amazon tribs for peacock bass - my step-father died down there on an exploratory trip in the jungle before I had a chance to join him and my mom on a fishing trip (they used to spend a couple months a year there and my mom used to co-hold an IGFA line class record)

Haida Gwaii - indigenous culture, cool scenery and fishing as the icing on top

Dean - Chinook, 'cause I've never been spooled but would love for it to happen

Kamchatka - I love riding in scary old helicopters

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
  1. Double-digit Bone (Current PB is 8.5lb)
In my experience, Maui is the easiest place to make it happen. Direct flights from Seattle and Portland, easy to access, etc.