Your bucket list

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I must be boring, while it's fun for me to look at those places I have no desire to travel much. I figure if the last time I fished was it, I'd be happy. I just like to be out. I guess my bucket list is to make it to be able to fish with the grandkids, I don't care where. Maybe a trip to Yellowstone, Montana, or something. We'll see. Wherever this guy is is where I want to be.
20210416_105109.jpg

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My bucket list place is New Zealand, but I've been there twice. Next might be Ireland, not so much for the quality of fishing as for the whole experience; I'm going there in April.

• I would like to fish for grayling one day, so Alaska would be the place for that (I've caught plenty of salmon in my day, so would otherwise concentrate on inland trout).
  • I would like to go into far northern Ontario and fish for big brookies and char one day, but that's it.

My 2022 bucket list is simpler:
  • April: Ireland
  • May: Travel from Chicagoland to first Carlisle, PA, to see the fly fishing museum there and to fish the Letort or nearby streams, continuing to the Catskills to see the fly fishing museum there and fish some of the storied streams in that area.
  • Most of the summer will be spent in my "home" area, Wisconsin's Driftless Area.
  • September, after school is back in session, I'll head west to the Black Hills, and do some fishing there.

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
My bucket list place is New Zealand, but I've been there twice. Next might be Ireland, not so much for the quality of fishing as for the whole experience; I'm going there in April.

• I would like to fish for grayling one day, so Alaska would be the place for that (I've caught plenty of salmon in my day, so would otherwise concentrate on inland trout).
  • I would like to go into far northern Ontario and fish for big brookies and char one day, but that's it.

My 2022 bucket list is simpler:
  • April: Ireland
  • May: Travel from Chicagoland to first Carlisle, PA, to see the fly fishing museum there and to fish the Letort or nearby streams, continuing to the Catskills to see the fly fishing museum there and fish some of the storied streams in that area.
  • Most of the summer will be spent in my "home" area, Wisconsin's Driftless Area.
  • September, after school is back in session, I'll head west to the Black Hills, and do some fishing there.
Driftless Dan,

Tons of grayling to be found in the smaller streams near Fairbanks, small black beetles. If cruising the Driftless and you get as far north as River Falls, stop in Lund’s, Brian is the shop owner, nice guy.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have been blessed to fish a lot of really special places and have checked off my bucket list top 10 (my list was fish based and not location based). But I am going to make a different suggestion here.

Whatever is YOUR bucket list, do what it takes to make it happen. Certainly family comes first but nobody knows when their time is up. And if a bucket list trip requires some physical abilities then its even more important to get after it.

When I got my last bucket list fish, a GT, in the Seychelles one of the guys made a really good comment one afternoon after fishing. All of us fisherman were swapping stories from the day and cooling off with a few cold brews. The day had been over 100 degrees and with the humidity it was a killer. He said that the Seychelles area young mans game on an old mans budget. And that was pretty spot on.

So get after your dream. It won't happen if you don't make a real effort to make it so.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Granite Lakes up off the Cascade River Road near Marblemount. Perhaps the only alpine lake in WA holding a naturally reproducing Grayling population. How's that for hotspotting? The way in isn't easy; either a) really long cross country trip via the Illabot Road, or b) get permission from the current landowners; whoever that is currently, and approach via old logging roads and what's probably heinous second growth. A boy can dream. Someday in the not too distant future I'm going to be too old for that nonsense.

Adrian M

Steelhead
Really my bucket list is just getting to fish with my bro in laws. This May, we're learning to row on the yakima (through reds) and then renting a raft for a few days. We try to go on one or two trips every year. To me, that's my bucket list, getting to fish with my bro in laws (also best friends). Doesn't matter the location so much. But, my previously list still stands as far as locations I'd dream of going to with them.

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Funny you ask, because I just started making a list:
  • I'd love to see Kyoto and experience the night life in Tokyo;
  • Fish in NZ!!
  • Visit expat communities in Central and South America (This might get to be a need, rather than a desire, depending on whether US politics keeps sliding toward fascism)
  • Listen to Bossa Nova live in Brazil
  • Sail the Virgin Islands
  • African Safari
  • Backcountry fishing (horseback trip?) in YNP or Wind River wilderness
  • Tour the DC landmarks
  • Go back to Rome
  • Tour Banff
  • Fish other famous OR rivers (Grand Ronde, Umpqua, McKenzie, Rogue)
  • Become a competent wing foil rider
  • Tour Monument Valley
  • Float through Grand Canyon

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Granite Lakes up off the Cascade River Road near Marblemount. Perhaps the only alpine lake in WA holding a naturally reproducing Grayling population. How's that for hotspotting? The way in isn't easy; either a) really long cross country trip via the Illabot Road, or b) get permission from the current landowners; whoever that is currently, and approach via old logging roads and what's probably heinous second growth. A boy can dream. Someday in the not too distant future I'm going to be too old for that nonsense.
Granite Lakes are nice, and if you have time pop over the ridge to Jordan Lakes, beautiful country.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Option C (in true bucket list fashion): rent a helicopter!

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
If we’re talking fishing bucket list…

(In rough order of most-to-least likely to happen)

- Really fishing for MT trout (I wasn’t much of a fisherman the last time I was there)
- Grayling somewhere
- Alaska for trout/salmon
- High sierras for wild golden trout
- Somewhere tropical where I can fish by foot for saltwater fish in the AM and sit by my wife on the beach drinking fruity drinks in the afternoon.
- Northern Canada for arctic char
- Iceland for anything
- New Zealand for anything
- Kamchatka for anything

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
You need to take a trip to Montana.. Where I fish and catch Grayling I can drive there get out of my truck, limber up my arm and fish for them. No hiking required. Just about 5 steps from my truck to the Skinny water.