Your bucket list

mems

Steelhead
Spend a week up in Hayward, WI musky country.

A close second would be spend a week down in Baja...even if all I catch are jacks....just gimme stuff down there that pulls hard.
If you go to Hayward go to Spider Lake get you a musky doncha know and drink some Leinenkugels

cdnred

Life of the Party
Mine isn’t so much location-based as it is species-based with a couple of twists:

To be checked-off:
1. Fish must be “to hand”. No LDR equivocating.
2. Must be caught on a fly tied by a family member (wife, sons, or myself).

☑ Albacore

☐ Alligator Gar

☐ Arctic Greyling

☑ Barracuda

☑ Bass (LMB)

☑ Bass (SMB)

☐ Beardslee Trout

☐ Billfish

☐ Bluegill

☐ Bonefish

☐ Brook Trout

☐ Brown Trout

☑ Bull Trout

☐ Carp

☑ Crappie

☐ Dolly Varden

☐ False Albacore

☐ GT

☐ Golden Trout

☐ Golden Dorado

☐ Greenback Cutthroat

☐ Grouper

☐ Kokanee

☐ Lahontan Cutthroat

☐ Lingcod

☐ Mahi Mahi

☑ Mountain Whitefish

☐ Muskie

☐ Panfish

☑ Pumpkinseed

☐ Peacock Bass

☑ Pea mouth Chubb

☑ Perch

☑ Yellow Perch

☐ Pike

☐ Permit

☐ Pickerel

☑ Pikeminnow

☐ Queenfish

☑ Rainbow Trout

☐ Redfish

☐ Rooster fish

☐ Salmon

☑ Chinook

☑ Chum

☑ Coho

☑ Pink

☑ Sockeye

Sea-run Brown Trout

☐ Shad

☐ Snapper

☐ Snook

☐ Spanish Mackerel

☐ Striped Bass

☐ Tarpon

☐ Tiger trout

☐ Triple Tail

☐ Wahoo
Gee, you're got a lot of work cut out for ya..

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Gee, you're got a lot of work cut out for ya..
I plan on having a long and plentiful life, might as have a bucket list to match.

BeeKay415

Freshly Spawned
My bucket list place is New Zealand, but I've been there twice. Next might be Ireland, not so much for the quality of fishing as for the whole experience; I'm going there in April.

• I would like to fish for grayling one day, so Alaska would be the place for that (I've caught plenty of salmon in my day, so would otherwise concentrate on inland trout).
  • I would like to go into far northern Ontario and fish for big brookies and char one day, but that's it.

My 2022 bucket list is simpler:
  • April: Ireland
  • May: Travel from Chicagoland to first Carlisle, PA, to see the fly fishing museum there and to fish the Letort or nearby streams, continuing to the Catskills to see the fly fishing museum there and fish some of the storied streams in that area.
  • Most of the summer will be spent in my "home" area, Wisconsin's Driftless Area.
  • September, after school is back in session, I'll head west to the Black Hills, and do some fishing there.
Any feedback on the trip to Ireland this month would be much appreciated, mainly the rivers or lakes you fished. Landlocked or sea run Browns? Maybe you’ll give the salmon a go while you’re there?
I’m heading over there myself for a few weeks this summer and will do as much fishing as possible. I mainly chase Atlantic Salmon but also fish for the brown trout on Lough Corrib because it’s right near the house I stay at. Guide services are very responsible in my experience, from lake boats or river wading.
Enjoy your stay!
Cheers!

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Had to Google the place as it seem quite out of place and never heard of it before but it apparently has some top notch fishing..

My visa was approved, going there soon...

cdnred

Life of the Party
My visa was approved, going there soon...
Seems they'll have fantastic fishing opportunities there for you from the pics they've posted on their web site. Wishing you have a great trip and will be looking forward to your pics on your return. Got to be a fabulous trip to be going on..

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Seems they'll have fantastic fishing opportunities there for you from the pics they've posted on their web site. Wishing you have a great trip and will be looking forward to your pics on your return. Got to be a fabulous trip to be going on..
Thank you! This will be a very challenging place to fly fish. Most anglers use spin gear, lures or bait, to fish there. I just packed safety glasses, a 1200 lumen led headlamp, and stripping basket for 12 weight night time surf fishing sessions. I hope my courage and strip set doesn't fail.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
More realistic is Iceland/Norway.

Locally I want to take a few days and revisit Chiloquin, Oregon. Plenty of fishing
in that area.

Alaska one more time. We are targeting Situk Summer 23’ but we have been doing this planning for a few years and with so much going on in each other’s life and due mostly to unexpected situations it has not materialized. It was easier when everyone was in their 20-30’s. No kids or young kids but mostly our healthy parents, not so these days. It is what it is.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Make
More realistic is Iceland/Norway.

Locally I want to take a few days and revisit Chiloquin, Oregon. Plenty of fishing
in that area.

Alaska one more time. We are targeting Situk Summer 23’ but we have been doing this planning for a few years and with so much going on in each other’s life and due mostly to unexpected situations it has not materialized. It was easier when everyone was in their 20-30’s. No kids or young kids but mostly our healthy parents, not so these days. It is what it is.
Water situation in and around Chiloquin was pretty sad when I passed through a few weeks ago.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Make

Water situation in and around Chiloquin was pretty sad when I passed through a few weeks ago.
Yeah I’ m not up to date on that area. That is sad to hear. That area holds a special place to me. My fist fly fishing experience and catching some of the hardest fighting RB’s ever. Think I was down there in the spring and summer of 77’78’79’ catching 14-22” RB’s on a Berkeley Cherrywood glass rod. I also saw others catching what I swear where Steelhead but they were 6-7-8 lb trout. Great terrain, beautiful water back then. Spring Creek, Williamson, and the Sprague. I have only driven thru since but not for several years. Spring Creek had some of the most beautiful water. Think tropical water clarity but at 40 degrees or whatever it was. It’s seriously cold spring fed waters.

1663805248557.jpeg
Spring Creek.

mems

Steelhead
Have fun on Brando's Island. I heard you need some sand worms there. Try a Rainy's fly, the Mr. Limpy in pink or red. Good luck, hope you can get to Rangiroa.