NFR What Are You Reading

Non-fishing related

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
I really enjoy this thread; it gives me ideas on who I might read. I downloaded City Primevil and will give it a read after I finish Dune Messiah; I've read Dune twice but not for a long time. Frank Herbert's son wrote an interesting introduction to this book which tempers what I remember from the first book.

I've read Dune at least three time and had no idea that Frank Herbert was from Tacoma or that the old smelter at Pt Defiance was part of the inspiration for the climate message in Dune. We recently stumbled on the Dune Peninsula Park at Pt Defiance by accident,

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've read Dune at least three time and had no idea that Frank Herbert was from Tacoma or that the old smelter at Pt Defiance was part of the inspiration for the climate message in Dune. We recently stumbled on the Dune Peninsula Park at Pt Defiance by accident,

News to me, too.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Sun House by David James Duncan. It is his first book in 25 years. He wrote The River Why, a really great book about fly tying and fly fishing.

Sun House is funny and large parts of it (so far) are set around Seattle. And it is nice and long, a plus for quick readers. I like it and recommend it, though I'm only about 20% done with it so far.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I finished reading Dune Messiah last week and Children of Dune today. I just downloaded Dune to reread it.

@Zak - Just put a hold request in on Sun House/Tks!

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
“On the Beach” by Neville Shute, again for probably the 5th time.
Very apropo for today and that’s all I’ll I say about it.
1960 ? Movie starring Gregory Peck Ava Gardner and guy from Pyscho can’t remember his name, nor mine at times. Movie was just OK especially with background theme music Waltzing Matilda played 40x. Seattle a central focus in the movie.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman

The Song of Wandering Aengus​

BY WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS
I went out to the hazel wood,
Because a fire was in my head,
And cut and peeled a hazel wand,
And hooked a berry to a thread;
And when white moths were on the wing,
And moth-like stars were flickering out,
I dropped the berry in a stream
And caught a little silver trout.

When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire a-flame,
But something rustled on the floor,
And someone called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran
And faded through the brightening air.

Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone,
And kiss her lips and take her hands;
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done,
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Found this the other day and actually enjoyed seeing it again.

The Sand Castle

We watched our fingers mold the sands,
A castle strong and seasoned well
Began its growth from loving hands
To tower over fertile lands
Where clams and crabs and sand fleas dwell.

Our castle spires can't stand alone,
The drawbridge fallen long ago.
The sunlight off the courtyard shone
As if of diamond not of stone
Yet I knew why it glistened so.

We left our castle soon that day,
We did not want to see or know
That waves would wash white walls away
And steal that sunlight from our play.
We did not want to see, or know....

Last edited:
Cave 13: Jonathan Maberry
The Thousand Earths: Stephen Baxter
and now starting-
Zoey is too drunk for this dystopia: Jason Pargin
up after that-
Princess of Dune: Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Cave 13: Jonathan Maberry
The Thousand Earths: Stephen Baxter
and now starting-
Zoey is too drunk for this dystopia: Jason Pargin
up after that-
Princess of Dune: Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
The Zoey book must have just come out?

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
“On the Beach” by Neville Shute, again for probably the 5th time.
Very apropo for today and that’s all I’ll I say about it.
1960 ? Movie starring Gregory Peck Ava Gardner and guy from Pyscho can’t remember his name, nor mine at times. Movie was just OK especially with background theme music Waltzing Matilda played 40x. Seattle a central focus in the movie.
I read that book when I was stationed on the USS Hector, bought it in Keelung, Taiwan. I'm not sure I want to read it again given the insanity that's going on right now........... but maybe it is a timely read.

I'm reading Robbie Robertson's "autobiography "Testimony"; the Hawks are just starting to tour with the now electrified Bob Dylan. Interesting read.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
SHOP GIRL.... by Steve Martin. Yes that Steve Martin the wild and crazy guy. A good read.

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Finished "viking" history, Finished "ranger" history... now pleasure reading Savage Son.

Not to high jack the thread, but, how many of you take a box of Read books with you when you travel to pass on to other fisher people while camping?

20231110_084050~2.jpg

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've just finished everything that I could get my hands on by John Scalzi.

He writes sci-fi that is clever, funny and thoroughly enjoyable! I look forward to forgetting them so I can read them again!

Reactions: Zak

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
I look forward to forgetting them so I can read them again
This occurs much more quickly when you hit 75 . . .

A hunter in the woods spots a bear and shoots, but misses. The bear charges the man before he can reload , grabs him and yells "You shot at me! And even though you missed, there will be consequences, so I'm going to bend you over this log and have my way with you."
The next day, the hunter arrives with an elephant gun, but misses the shot again. This time the bear says "Apparently you didn't learn your lesson yesterday, so today, I'm going to force you to perform fellatio."
Next day, the hunter shows up with a bazooka, but the recoil sends the shot wild, not even close. The bear grabs the guy by the lapels of his hunting jacket, hauls the guy up face to face, and says,
"You don't come here for the hunting, do you?"