NFR What Are You Reading

Non-fishing related

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Let’s not forget migration by water also, e.g., Heyerdahl’s Kon Tiki 70 something years ago showing small groups were using ocean currents to travel vast distances by sail only aided by muscle power. Sometimes I have to chuckle when the term “native” is used then thinking the phrase: “We’re all just visitors here……” applies to all.

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just started Asimov's Foundation series. Had picked it up years ago bit it never held my interest. Maybe it'll stick this time.
I read it as a kid and then re-read it, including later sequels. Still astounding in its scope.

Zak

Legend
Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel, the author of Station 11 (which became a great TV series). It's good so far!

David Wellington's Paradise 1, a space/horror novel. After a brief exposition on the main character, the story hits the ground running and hasn't let up so far. A genuine thrill ride.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel, the author of Station 11 (which became a great TV series). It's good so far!
High on my 'to-read' list, probably next. Loved Station 11 both book and TV series.

Currently simul-reading Dark Matter by Crouch and a limited edition anthology From the Wasteland - short stories inspired by the TS Elliott poem.

Just finished re-reading the Tinfoil Dossier, a trilogy mixing MiB conspiracy and Lovecraft mythos by my fellow Alabamian and old college classmate (never actually met her though) Caitlin Kiernan who specializes in the extremely weird.

My other weird college classmate was John B. McLemore (RIP) of the Shit Town Podcast fame. We were freshmen at B'ham-Southern College together, a small school with an enrollment of only 1,600. Never met him either as far as I can remember. He studied chemistry while I studied weed, soccer, and sorority girls before transferring to the big school next door.

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
High on my 'to-read' list, probably next. Loved Station 11 both book and TV series.

Currently simul-reading Dark Matter by Crouch and a limited edition anthology From the Wasteland - short stories inspired by the TS Elliott poem.

Just finished re-reading the Tinfoil Dossier, a trilogy mixing MiB conspiracy and Lovecraft mythos by my fellow Alabamian and old college classmate (never actually met her though) Caitlin Kiernan who specializes in the extremely weird.

My other weird college classmate was John B. McLemore (RIP) of the Shit Town Podcast fame. We were freshmen at B'ham-Southern College together, a small school with an enrollment of only 1,600. Never met him either as far as I can remember. He studied chemistry while I studied weed, soccer, and sorority girls before transferring to the big school next door.
I enjoyed Kiernan's Agents of Dreamland and Black Helicopters; haven't read the third book in the trilogy. Re "extremely weird," have you read China Miéville? I really liked pretty much everything of his.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
I enjoyed Kiernan's Agents of Dreamland and Black Helicopters; haven't read the third book in the trilogy. Re "extremely weird," have you read China Miéville? I really liked pretty much everything of his.
Yep, big Mieville fan!

The third book in Tinfoil was my favorite - back to the Signalman character. Kiernan is at her weirdest in the anthologies I think. Recently read Vile Affectations which was I thought was super but my wife put down within 5min. She doesn't like scary movies either... Kiernan has an SF collection coming soon, Bradbury Weather.

Just got this which you might find interesting given our common interest in the author: The Dead Man and Other Horror Stories by Gene Wolfe

Reactions: Zak

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Nelson DeMilles The Red President? Mine got stolen years ago and I've not had any luck finding a copy. Both Books A Million and B&N say it's out of print, with one comment from a buyer from B&N telling me it's on a banned list because it points to Bill Clinton as foreign agent. (Came out just as he started prepping his campaign to run)

Honestly, the way its written, it could be any one of the bunch of twits from Clinton to present.

Divad

Whitefish
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Nelson DeMilles The Red President? Mine got stolen years ago and I've not had any luck finding a copy. Both Books A Million and B&N say it's out of print, with one comment from a buyer from B&N telling me it's on a banned list because it points to Bill Clinton as foreign agent. (Came out just as he started prepping his campaign to run)

Honestly, the way its written, it could be any one of the bunch of twits from Clinton to present.
Martin Gross?

Westfly Refugee

Steelhead
Western Mayfly Hatches, Hafele & Hughes 2020.
In this book, Rick really lets his entomologist freak flag fly.
Their seminal Western Hatches is a childs book in comparison.
Photography by Jim Schollmeyer and drawings by Richard Bunse.
Hafele, Hughes, Schollmeyer, Bunse the OG gang of four of Oregon flyfishing

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Been reading Elmore Leonard, previously read Fire in the Hole on which the Justified television series is based and Mr.Majestyk which was made into a movie with Charles Bronson and a couple others. About 10 that I haven’t read, including City Primeval in which he resurrects Raylan Givens from Justified. His depiction of the criminal class and the LEOs that pursue them is nothing short of brilliant. A master of his craft.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Been reading Elmore Leonard, previously read Fire in the Hole on which the Justified television series is based and Mr.Majestyk which was made into a movie with Charles Bronson and a couple others. About 10 that I haven’t read, including City Primeval in which he resurrects Raylan Givens from Justified. His depiction of the criminal class and the LEOs that pursue them is nothing short of brilliant. A master of his craft.
Try Freaky Deaky. I thought it's one of his funnier ones.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I really enjoy this thread; it gives me ideas on who I might read. I downloaded City Primevil and will give it a read after I finish Dune Messiah; I've read Dune twice but not for a long time. Frank Herbert's son wrote an interesting introduction to this book which tempers what I remember from the first book.

Zak

Legend
Going on my list:

‘Sun House,’ the third novel by David James Duncan, author of ‘The River Why’ and ‘The Brothers K,’ is a spiritual epic about seekers who end up living on a large commune in western Montana.