PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I’m getting stoked to get out there.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Yep thats one of my setups. I bought two of those reels last year
Those are bomber reels. I actually used the 8wt version on one of my setups (crammed 300yds if PP 50lb onto it but barely had room for a slightly shortened line)--ended up selling it since it was a little small for my needs. Buuuut, yeah they're sweet reels.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Kingston Safeway sells the mag, but as of today they don't have the August issue yet.

All our local Safeway and Fred Meyer had were July issues. Would like a hard copy at some point but bought the digital version for now.

Very good article. Not really surprising how the interviewer asked "Why fly fish for tuna" as "the elephant in the room" question. Basically confirmed my thoughts that the average tuna fisher thinks why bother with "less efficient" fly gear and expressed concerns about back casting, mechanics, etc...

You did a great job of dispelling the idea that fly fishers are somehow "handicapped" on the tuna grounds. Prior to 2020 we both knew solid crews could do well out there but we even surprised ourselves. Crazy how those first few trips changed everything.

Last edited:

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If you want to try this unique fishery, I have one seat available with Nick on Saturday, September 3rd. We will have extra rods/reels/flies available. Send me a PM.
Steve
I shared Nick's article on the Australian saltwater fly forum, tagged onto a thread about our 2020 trips. Here's one of the responses:
Albies are an amazing fish to target and are stubborn as hell wit their extra long pectoral fin! I first encountered Albacore when I did a season as deckhand on The Constitution based at Point Loma, San Diego. It would be a dream to throw a fly at some of the ‘mosh pits’ I encountered!! You’re spoilt to have such an amazing tuna fishery and a charter prepared to fly fish!!