Tuna 2022, let the games begin!

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Headed in with 32 fly caught fish onboard, which is our limit of 8 per person.

The best part? I caught 5 fish on my popper/slider. After fish number five that fly was dead. No more foam head. Some of the coolest eats I've ever seen.

I am almost out of poppers and I didn't bring my tying stuff down this season. Sucks because at this point throwing poppers is all I want to do.

20220816_085120-01.jpeg

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter

The best part? I caught 5 fish on my popper/slider. After fish number five that fly was dead. No more foam head. Some of the coolest eats I've ever seen.

I am almost out of poppers and I didn't bring my tying stuff down this season. Sucks because at this point throwing poppers is all I want to do.

View attachment 27865
Nice! I'll bring a second rod with floater line and poppers :) I can try to tie you up some if you could post some pics and specifications.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk

View attachment 27865

Bad ass Nick, your killing it!

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm considering bringing my jig rod for tuna, but I would need a new reel. Is there a good combo reel that would double dutry for straights halibut and cover tuna? What should I be looking for?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter

View attachment 27865
Fuck yeah!!!!!!!!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter

View attachment 27865
Was that a pink fly or is it the fly you linked soaked in tuna blood?

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

View attachment 27865
Theyre a little different style than yours,but Ive got a few i can spare. I'll be there in 2 weeks.

download (5).jpeg

download (2).jpeg

Slow_Floccer

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter

View attachment 27865
Nice!!

What 12 weight floating line would you recommend for that?

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I'm considering bringing my jig rod for tuna, but I would need a new reel. Is there a good combo reel that would double dutry for straights halibut and cover tuna? What should I be looking for?

I'd recommend a decent sized lever drag reel. Very versatile. We use Okuma, but Accurate and Avet are a couple of decent higher end brands.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Nice!!

What 12 weight floating line would you recommend for that?

Honestly I have no idea what I'm using. I bought a 12 wt years ago from the forum and he included a floater but I don't know what it was.

Honestly any aggressive taper floating line would be just fine

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Breakfast of champions. Bagel with smoked albacore ("sliced real thin..." ;) ) with jalapeño cream cheese. Lox is still the best , but this is a close second. Tastes waaay better than it looks.

20220818_083545.jpg

Hmmm, wonder if albacore lox is a thing?

Bagman

Steelhead
Breakfast of champions. Bagel with smoked albacore ("sliced real thin..." ;) ) with jalapeño cream cheese. Lox is still the best , but this is a close second. Tastes waaay better than it looks.

View attachment 28021

Their is a bagel shop in the Santa Cruz area that sells a smoke albacore bagel and cream cheese best served on a salt bagel.

Chris Bellows

Steelhead

As a popper addict this makes me very happy. First time I've heard of tuna on the popper (knowing I don't pay as much attention to these things as I used to).

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter

View attachment 28021

Home-smoked albacore also makes killer tuna salad. (even if you make the fish waaaay too salty the first time you try it)

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
As a popper addict this makes me very happy. First time I've heard of tuna on the popper (knowing I don't pay as much attention to these things as I used to).

Nick got 1 in 2020 on our epic trip, the play by play coming from the bow by Nick was hilarious. He was a wee bit excited to say the least!

I think this was the fish, on a 12wt with a little cigar cork handle lol.

Attachments

• NickwithPopperAlbacoreP8220059.jpg
    NickwithPopperAlbacoreP8220059.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 19

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Well, I'm sending out some gurglers with a group heading out of Hammond on Monday....just in case. If I can't join them, may as well provide them with some cool shit.

IMG_20220818_104501.jpg

Hopefully there will also be some good pics of of some heavy glass bendo....

Bagman

Steelhead
Well, I'm sending out some gurglers with a group heading out of Hammond on Monday....just in case. If I can't join them, may as well provide them with some cool shit.

View attachment 28043

Hopefully there will also be some good pics of of some heavy glass bendo....
I typed this little guy up since I only had the mini nose but after looking at it a little closer I think I need a longer hook or at least one with a wider gap, but to my surprise it does float. I’m sorry I can’t seem to make Dan go away, but I’m sure he would have told me my hook needed a wider gap🤔

Attachments

• FC551C67-8F7B-4188-92A9-B510752C2F1D.jpeg
    FC551C67-8F7B-4188-92A9-B510752C2F1D.jpeg
    666.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 59F172E3-2FCB-4927-9FE2-F73800B588C9.jpeg
    59F172E3-2FCB-4927-9FE2-F73800B588C9.jpeg
    751.2 KB · Views: 25
  • FC18CBC2-4910-433A-8A11-60807C7EC68E.jpeg
    FC18CBC2-4910-433A-8A11-60807C7EC68E.jpeg
    572.7 KB · Views: 25