Tuna 2022, let the games begin!

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well, I'm sending out some gurglers with a group heading out of Hammond on Monday....just in case. If I can't join them, may as well provide them with some cool shit.

View attachment 28043

Hopefully there will also be some good pics of of some heavy glass bendo....

Hope they have a great day and put on a killer fly clinic for this fly curious captain.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
As a popper addict this makes me very happy. First time I've heard of tuna on the popper (knowing I don't pay as much attention to these things as I used to).

In the grand scheme of things I'm not a huge topwater guy, but I am quickly becoming absolutely addicted when it comes to albacore. It's just so damned exciting.

Watching the water absolutely explode as an albacore streaks up out of nowhere and just murders that popper is just the best.

I've been doing it more and more and I feel I am starting to really get a feel for it and I'm starting to believe that it is possible to get them on top way more often than I once thought. It takes some commitment to making it happen, but I'm starting to keep the popper rod at the ready more and more often and find that I can pop one on top fairly often these days as long as I'm ready when the opportunities present themselves.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Nick got 1 in 2020 on our epic trip, the play by play coming from the bow by Nick was hilarious. He was a wee bit excited to say the least!

I think this was the fish, on a 12wt with a little cigar cork handle lol.

To this day that's still the most memorable fish Ive ever caught

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
In the grand scheme of things I'm not a huge topwater guy, but I am quickly becoming absolutely addicted when it comes to albacore. It's just so damned exciting.

Watching the water absolutely explode as an albacore streaks up out of nowhere and just murders that popper is just the best.

I've been doing it more and more and I feel I am starting to really get a feel for it and I'm starting to believe that it is possible to get them on top way more often than I once thought. It takes some commitment to making it happen, but I'm starting to keep the popper rod at the ready more and more often and find that I can pop one on top fairly often these days as long as I'm ready when the opportunities present themselves.
How do you work the popper Nick? Jerky? Slides? Anything to get them to eat?

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That day will be forever eched in my mind, Capitan Nick going bazerk up on the bow was icing on the cake, maybe 3 scopps of icecream on warm blackberry pie is a better analogy :D !
In my 61 years on this planet I have never heard a play by play to exceed that. The single best losing one's shit moment, in not just fishing, but sports of all time.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'd recommend a decent sized lever drag reel. Very versatile. We use Okuma, but Accurate and Avet are a couple of decent higher end brands.
Would I be super undergunned if I used a Okuma Coldwater SS. Looking around most people are still looking at only 20 lb brake, and it should have the line capactity

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Seemed fantasy just a few years ago. I'd be curious if you always have live chum in the water when it's working. Absolutely bringing a dedicated popper rod this year.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Seemed fantasy just a few years ago. I'd be curious if you always have live chum in the water when it's working. Absolutely bringing a dedicated popper rod this year.
Yes, as a person who lined up a 12 weight floating line on his backup reel last night, I am also very curious about the conditions that mean the opportunity is presenting itself and it's time to go topwater. Is it basically just when the fish are up and feeding and taking bait/chum near or on the surface? I know that when I see it.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Would I be super undergunned if I used a Okuma Coldwater SS. Looking around most people are still looking at only 20 lb brake, and it should have the line capactity

Personally I'd avoid level wind reels for albacore, especially cheaper ones. They just don't tend to handle the speed of albacore well. I've seen many level winds commit suicide to a fast tuna run. The actual level wind portion just often can't keep up. I've also seen a few nasty finger injuries caused by the level wind ripping at high speed.

But, that said, they are fairly cheap so if you don't mind the chance that it dies, it might get the job done.

We use Coldwaters for salmon and occasionally bottomfish. We have a ton of them. They are not terrible for the price. That said, we won't use them for tuna.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter

I haven't caught one on topwater yet when I'm not seeing fish actively boiling on the surface, at least sporadically. I have caught them when they are just up and boiling on their own a few times, and many times now when we are chumming them up.

Fishing was absolutely ridiculous today. 37 miles from the jetty for me, but one of our boats loaded up at 33 miles and another charter plugged at 29 miles. Wouldn't be surprised if some salmon fishermen got wrecked today.