Tuna 2022, let the games begin!

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'll try not to turn this into a cooking thread but I did the rest of the marinated steaks tonight. Found out it doesn't hurt to drizzle some garlic oil in the pan with the steaks along with some pickled ginger. Plate the fish (medium rare of course) then deglaze the pan with teriyaki sauce and pour over the steaks. Sorry, what's left isn't pic worthy.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I'll try not to turn this into a cooking thread but I did the rest of the marinated steaks tonight. Found out it doesn't hurt to drizzle some garlic oil in the pan with the steaks along with some pickled ginger. Plate the fish (medium rare of course) then deglaze the pan with teriyaki sauce and pour over the steaks. Sorry, what's left isn't pic worthy.
Cooking? Tuna? D:

Mine typically gets used like this

Attachments

• 20220108_183404.jpg
    20220108_183404.jpg
    850.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210905_192459.jpg
    20210905_192459.jpg
    925.4 KB · Views: 31

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
On lines—Has anyone tried the SA Sonar Titan Big Water Taper Max Sink line(s)? There’s a 500 grain and a 700 grain, but if they’re both 30 foot heads of Sink 6 line, I don’t understand what causes the grain differential.

I’m considering a tuna line upgrade. I saw an Airflo 12 weight floating line for $22 on clearance that I’ll probably pick up to finally have a topwater rig ready to go. You know, just in case...
Maybe nobody cares, but here's what SA said about the BWT Max Sink lines: "The 500 grain sink weight is 5.0 ips and the 700 grain is 7.0 ips. The 600 grain is 6 ips, so with the difference in grain there is a difference in sink rates."

Found a 600 grain on clearance and it is on its way. I got two new tuna lines, a floater and a sinker, for under $100 altogether.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
I had similar results with shank patterns not sticking, so quit using them a few years ago. Wasn't sure that was really a problem but your experience Friday supports my distrust. How they don't stay on regardless of hook style is beyond me. There's nothing subtle about troll strikes.

That fly I used of Dennis's on that gang buster day was on a shank and I don't think I lost a single fish on the troll. A few while stripping but wasn't many!

_DSC8109-01.jpeg

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Paging @Denwor54 for that info as it's his fly.

That sucker was on fire that weekend!

Yes it was. Cool and frustrating to watch when normally go-to anchovy patterns weren't getting it done for me. And, didn't have anything with those colors. Finally got back in the game when I switched to saury patterns.

What I want to see is the black/purple fly that your buddy was using. That thing spanked several tuna and was literally the dark horse pattern.

My tuna boxes have a lot more color since those trips.

Paige

I'm curious what knot you used there. Fat leader, compact knot.

No one would believe me...

For some reason it doesn't have a good reputation, I think there was a thread years ago on the old site were it was bashed.

The Davie knot!

Have landed hundreds of Lingcod, Coho Cutthroat, some Kings and 1 big Hali using that knot. I hold the tag end close so I dont need to trim it off, the key is the tag coming out at 90° for maximum strength. Can be harder on trout tippet as it will want to slip if not careful but it will slip out completely when synching it up and you will need to do it again.

This diagram shows pulling on the tag, and main line I just hold the tag tight with the hook and pull the main line, 5 second knot or less!

images.jpeg

Last edited:

Denwor54

Life of the Party
Is this just a standard octopus hook, and what strength line for the stinger loop?
I use the standard gamakatzu octopus hook. On the trailer material I use fire line that I double up so the hook tracks strait and if I remember right it is 50lb. Recently we were trolling for coho and the water was colored and the normal sparser stuff was not getting attention. So I put one of these on and we started hooking up with coho. I also noticed something new which definitely caught my attention was the spawn fly head causes a nice fluttering action on the troll. At the right speed it looked like it might be putting out some vibration which could explain why it’s seems to get more attention when next to other patterns. This is just an observation that might be worth looking into by anglers that get more time on the water.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
No one would believe me...

For some reason it doesn't have a good reputation, I think there was a thread years ago on the old site were it was bashed.

The Davie knot!

Have landed hundreds of Lingcod, Coho Cutthroat, some Kings and 1 big Hali using that knot. I hold the tag end close so I dont need to trim it off, the key is the tag coming out at 90° for maximum strength. Can be harder on trout tippet as it will want to slip if not careful but it will slip out completely when synching it up and you will need to do it again.

This diagram shows pulling on the tag, and main line I just hold the tag tight with the hook and pull the main line, 5 second knot or less!

View attachment 26107
I believe you. I use the Orvis knot for almost everything to great success but I started using the non-slip loop knot for streamers of any kind long ago. Unless I'm in a big hurry, hands frozen, etc. Then I go back to what I can do nearly blindfolded. I think the Orvis knot is a sort of a cousin to the Davy knot.

1659742557127.png

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I use the standard gamakatzu octopus hook. On the trailer material I use fire line that I double up so the hook tracks strait and if I remember right it is 50lb. Recently we were trolling for coho and the water was colored and the normal sparser stuff was not getting attention. So I put one of these on and we started hooking up with coho. I also noticed something new which definitely caught my attention was the spawn fly head causes a nice fluttering action on the troll. At the right speed it looked like it might be putting out some vibration which could explain why it’s seems to get more attention when next to other patterns. This is just an observation that might be worth looking into by anglers that get more time on the water.
Thank you. All good information! I was given the idea that I might need some stronger hooks than that since I saw that @SilverFly was using live bait hooks

Paige

I believe you. I use the Orvis knot for almost everything to great success but I started using the non-slip loop knot for streamers of any kind long ago. Unless I'm in a big hurry, hands frozen, etc. Then I go back to what I can do nearly blindfolded. I think the Orvis knot is a sort of a cousin to the Davy knot.

View attachment 26113

I use a loop knot(my own) for all my swinging, unless I'm hitching a fly then it's the Davy again.

I also tie the Davy from the opposite way, the diagram is upside down to how I learned.

Denwor54

Life of the Party
One of the simplest knots that I have never had a problem with is the homer Rhodes knot. It works well with shock tippet and large diameter fluorocarbon. And when you are in a moving boat it quick fast and less likely to make you seasick Paige😀

Paige

One of the simplest knots that I have never had a problem with is the homer Rhodes knot. It works well with shock tippet and large diameter fluorocarbon. And when you are in a moving boat it quick fast and less likely to make you seasick Paige😀

I have plenty of time to puke when I can re-tie in under 5 seconds, plus chumming never hurts the fishing;):p