The Real Mileage of an Electric Truck

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
With about 20 or so moving parts in an electric engine vs the 2,000 in an ICE, manufacturers wont be going back, they have made their choice to go electric, that is where the r and d money is being spent.
There will be another new vehicle technology someday down the road, that is for certain.
It wont be gasoline, diesel or other fossil fuels, that is also for certain.

;)

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Which is why my head‘s on a swivel when I’m riding my Bonneville…especially since I wear earplugs under my helmet.
That's because you understand taking responsibility for taking in your surroundings... someone walking through a parking lot staring at their phone.... they're going to blame the EV driver.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
With about 20 or so moving parts in an electric engine vs the 2,000 in an ICE, manufacturers wont be going back, they have made their choice to go electric, that is where the r and d money is being spent.
There will be another new vehicle technology someday down the road, that is for certain.

;)
Which brings up the point... the combustion engine is an absolute marvel. There is SO MUCH that goes in to every little detail: exact measurements, timing, speeds, etc etc all working in perfect sync. Just mind blowing to think how they work so well and so reliably these days.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
They are amazing...100 plus years of research, advancement and development in ICE has led to some long lived engines.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
I seriously doubt that an EV truck is in my future. Our property is 250 miles from our Everett home. Once there, I’ve got 240 in the shop, but it’s getting there. Other trips can be well into 500 miles a day. Add to that the purchase price as a senior on a pension an SS. Why piss away all our investments when I can just keep my 2008 F150 running? But I’ll keep watching…

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My Chevy Silverado 1500 gets 450 miles per tank without towing. When we attach our 30ft travel trailer, it gets 150 miles per tank. It's interesting to see the range anxiety that so many people have. Seattle to Idaho on I-90 is roughly 300 miles, and there is already one electric truck that can make that drive (while not towing anything) without re-charging. The cybertruck is likely to get 600+ miles of range on it's higher end options. Even if the range drops exactly the same as it did in the test mentioned, there's a reasonable chance that it could tow a travel trailer from Seattle to Spokane without charging. For those who are skeptical, I will update what my experience is when I get my cybertruck (hopefully next year).

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
You'll pry my Vance and Hines motorcycle straight pipes from my cold dead fingers.
Or my MG with dual SU carbs and no emission control. But I get milage in that thing. Sorry thread drift. I may own an electric one day, but after watching the D8's, graders and dump trucks of crushed rock repairing the forest roads to the windmills after a hard winter and a half dozen f350's running line, I have no illusion that electric cars are green by any stretch or ready to do the hard work.

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
It is much cheaper to charge an EV at home (~$0.12/kwh with PSE) than at a charging station (~$.50/kwh - $0.75/kwh).

Also an EV costs about $0.04/per mile to drive versus a passenger car with ICE that costs $0.15/mile to $0.20/mile (depending on what MPG one gets). BTW No 'toy' hauling in those numbers.

It makes a lot of sense to use an EV around home for sure.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The article was obviously slanted but what article isn’t today? I think the facts speak for themselves. The people who tow are probably not going to be able to do what they do with these trucks.
Only point I was trying to make. I do not know a single person who owns a pickup truck (and that includes a handful of contractors) who don't use their trucks for towing. At the end of the day everybody should buy whatever vehicle(s) fit their needs.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
My '14 Fusion PHEV , our 2 fat asses, the dogs, the kid, 6 pcs of luggage, 1100 miles round trip.

That's 15 miles battery of a normal 20-21. What i wanted to point out is that we averaged 60 mpg with that load on the trip.

With the current state of the automotive lithium batteries, that great number drops to @ 52 mpg or less combined in winter.

Attachments

• 20220804_110335.jpg
    20220804_110335.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
For a different perspective on driving the F150 Lightning with a load follow these guys on youtube

They bought a new Lightning in Michigan, then drove it cross country and then through Alaska to the Arctic Circle. They dont pull any punches. It's a series of about 5-6 episodes.

The website mentioned in the original post has had a 20+ year habit of embracing automotive imports from all over the world as superior, and slamming U.S. built vehicles as out of touch massive guzzlers. Their own industry peers have continually taken them to rask over their biased "reporting".

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
My Chevy Silverado 1500 gets 450 miles per tank without towing. When we attach our 30ft travel trailer, it gets 150 miles per tank. It's interesting to see the range anxiety that so many people have. Seattle to Idaho on I-90 is roughly 300 miles, and there is already one electric truck that can make that drive (while not towing anything) without re-charging. The cybertruck is likely to get 600+ miles of range on it's higher end options. Even if the range drops exactly the same as it did in the test mentioned, there's a reasonable chance that it could tow a travel trailer from Seattle to Spokane without charging. For those who are skeptical, I will update what my experience is when I get my cybertruck (hopefully next year).
Matt, good luck with that... as a former Class 6-8 truck mechanic, I'd been watching their Semi development. So far it seems that the manufacturer is the only large end user of that platform

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed

;)
Nothing is certain...
We might be heading back to horse and buggy.

cody-

Steelhead
My favorite thing about electric trucks is how they're styled in the exact same blocky, anti-aerodynamic shape as gas trucks as to deliver equally effective fatal blows to pedestrians in their front blind spots while carrying 3x the momentum from heavy batteries.

cody-

Steelhead
We will truly have progressed as a society the day a 8000lb electric dodge ram 1500 surpasses the 4000lb gasoline dodge ram 1500 as the vehicle people are most likely to commit DUIs with 🙏

RCF

Life of the Party
I am not buying an EV until AAA has quick charge capability. No way I would survive my wife's attitude if it ran out of juice on her and had to be towed and then charged...