The Real Mileage of an Electric Truck

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
When I order my electric truck, it will be a tough decision between the leftist or rightist models.
SF

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
The article is clearly a political hit piece and not so much an electric pickup review. Seems like it should have mentioned that most 4 wheel drive pickups sold in the US are primarily used as grocery getters and not for off road or towing use. An electric powered grocery getter is gonna' be just the ticket for a lot of families. Just try finding a pickup these days that isn't a 4-door family hauler . . .

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
The article was obviously slanted but what article isn’t today? I think the facts speak for themselves. The people who tow are probably not going to be able to do what they do with these trucks.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I would modify that to be "any idiot who buys an etruck for long distance towing..."

I know plenty of local contractors, landscapers, etc who might find that the eF150 pencils out just fine for their towing work. I have no idea if it would pencil out, but if it doesn't, I doubt it would be the range that would be the deciding factor as far as daily use. More likely the $75-95k price. Though gas trucks hardly seem better these days. So maybe it would be a workable deal?

Outside of the range stuff, the only electric-specific comment about towing was this:

Which is an interesting point that I'd like to hear more about in real world use. It also seems like something that could be fixed with some additional tech/software/etc in the next generation. But I'm no expert.

Otherwise the article was complimentary about the towing tech. But most of that tech was the same as you'd find on a gas truck (360-degree camera system, Pro Trailer Backup Assist, smart hitch, etc).

I think I'm in your camp. First, I don't think an electric vehicle will be a good fit for everyone and should not be marketed as such. As far as an electric truck to tow? I wouldn't consider it at this point until tech improves etc. As far as an electric truck for short range running around hauling modest items? Sure, why not? Second, I think the cost will be prohibitive to any contractor or landscape guy. You can simply buy a more capable truck for half the money. In business the bottom line is better with lower overhead in general unless you are real clever with the tax end. Third, I think the real environmental cost of these vehicles should be outrightly and honestly stated. Everything has an impact and there are no magic bullets so let's be realistically honest about that. Electricity doesn't come from the wall as an ultimate source. Impacts range from producing the product as far as batteries, disposal and life, as well as the production of the energy to charge them. Lastly, I'm in total agreement with the hybrid design. You would likely expand appeal and capabilities for more rural consumers. Rural consumers don't see air quality as an issue because they don't live with it. Meanwhile a Los Angeles based consumer sees this as a prime concern as they deal with smog and bad air. A hybrid design would make the truck more palatable and useful for a rural consumer as well as ease a transition in thought to the merits and capability of electric designs. A hybrid may be a transitional vehicle for some. It may be a final destination for others. Either way a transition is preferable to some giant shift. Transitions are accepted and adapted to with far more ease than the latter. I'm very rural and work very rural. I can very close to a hybrid truck purchase years ago. I would not consider a full electric. I would again consider a hybrid. Perhaps the hybrid is the best of not letting perfection be the enemy of better.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The 90K model is the top of the line leather upholstery, lined with interior fluff model. 82k gets you all the functionality and reasonably good interior. My longest normal trip with my trailer is about 100 miles, and I'm thinking I could make it. Never having to go to gas stations seems like a perc that if taken alongside the downside on infrequent longer trips equals a net positive. If I get one and you want to ask about it, I hope politics doesn't come up.
I test drove one last weekend, holy cow, the acceleration is phenomenal. I would not drive any different than I drive my present pickup, but I would not let a teenager take it to the prom.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
My wife was reading me an article about Airstream developing a concept trailer that has tow assist drive train. The trailer concept has it's own battery bank and regenerative charging, as well as solar panels to continually charge the trailer's batteries.

I personally don't think batteries is a long term solution for vehicles. The manufacture and disposal of batteries create it's own environmental issues.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
My wife was reading me an article about Airstream developing a concept trailer that has tow assist drive train. The trailer concept has it's own battery bank and regenerative charging, as well as solar panels to continually charge the trailer's batteries.

I personally don't think batteries is a long term solution for vehicles. The manufacture and disposal of batteries create it's own environmental issues.
The manufacture and disposal of cars, trucks ,trains, busses, planes or pretty much anything else create their own environmental issues...if you make it, it eventually will wear out

I guess you could just bury a horse when you were through with it though...

Whoever heard of a 'horse body hole' on a river ?

:)

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
When my fuel gauge says it’s time, I pull into the gas station. They’re all over and it takes 5-10 minutes. Recharging, if one is around takes how long…?
For long range, it's still a bit of an issue, but not as much as people think. I've had an electric car for over a year and have only needed a charging station a single time. Otherwise, your home is your charger. I use my car for the day, then when I get home, grab the charging cable and plug it in while I'm home. So I rarely if ever have to pay attention to what my charge level is, especially around town (which is 99% of my car usage). Otherwise, I have about 300mi range, which is way more than enough for just about everything I need it for.

Divad

Whitefish
Put four fat Americans and their supplies and mileage gets nuked too. Doesn’t have to be just towing to find yourself stranded in an E truck 🫠

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'd be interested in what a 3/4 charge takes. If its 30 mins that not much worse than a gas station fill-up. If its 4 hours that would suck!

I'm sure the technology will come around eventually.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I'd be interested in what a 3/4 charge takes. If its 30 mins that not much worse than a gas station fill-up. If its 4 hours that would suck!

I'm sure the technology will come around eventually.
Depends on your vehicle. My Bolt is a pretty slow charger. The one time I used a public charger I got about 100mi range charged in 30 or so mins on a level 3 charger. Tesla and some of the other higher end model vehicles have much faster charging ability. I suspect the trucks have very fast charging abilities.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
When my son drives up from the coast south of SF to their Sunriver home, he stops at a Tesla Supercharger station (35,000 of such around the nation) in Klamath Falls and 'tops off' in 20 mins for $20. So a thousand mile roundtrip for $40 and 40 mins. Deal.
Have my sights on the Buzz, just need it to arrive and like the test drive.

1659640845786.png

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
When my son drives up from the coast south of SF to their Sunriver home, he stops at a Tesla Supercharger station (35,000 of such around the nation) in Klamath Falls and 'tops off' in 20 mins for $20. So a thousand mile roundtrip for $40 and 40 mins. Deal.
Have my sights on the Buzz, just need it to arrive and like the test drive.

View attachment 25939
This seems attainable on my income... I guess I'll just settle into my proper place of serfdom. Can I wash the windows of these shiney vehicle of the elite at stoplights?

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For long range, it's still a bit of an issue, but not as much as people think. I've had an electric car for over a year and have only needed a charging station a single time. Otherwise, your home is your charger. I use my car for the day, then when I get home, grab the charging cable and plug it in while I'm home. So I rarely if ever have to pay attention to what my charge level is, especially around town (which is 99% of my car usage). Otherwise, I have about 300mi range, which is way more than enough for just about everything I need it for.
How far have actually driven the car at one time?