The "How was your weekend?" thread...

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Worst weekend ever.

I picked up my sister at the airport (flew in from D.C.) and drove up to our brother's place in the Driftless Area. Saturday morning, driving through Viroqua, my engine made a strange sound and suddenly the turbocharger was gone. I was able to get around, but accelerating took some planning; it was like putting a 36HP VW engine in a Lincoln Navigator.

We went to a place that had been my favorite before floods scoured it out; we walked down about 3/4 mile to some better water, had nearly no luck (two 4" browns), walked down that a mile, then had a long walk across fields back. The grass is up to my chest and hides a multitude of potholes etc. My sister's bad knee didn't like that at all and she would cry out when she stepped forward and found that the step also involved a sudden 6" drop, jarring her knee. We were both tired and sweaty when we got back to the car. That evening, I realized that we had left my rods there when we had shed our waders. I drove back, only to find that my rods had both been run over. These were not cheap rods: A Sage LL 4711-2 and even more heartbreaking a Hardy Zenith one-piece 8'10 4-weight. Both irreplaceable. One of my reels was also busted.

It was a very expensive weekend.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Worst weekend ever.

I picked up my sister at the airport (flew in from D.C.) and drove up to our brother's place in the Driftless Area. Saturday morning, driving through Viroqua, my engine made a strange sound and suddenly the turbocharger was gone. I was able to get around, but accelerating took some planning; it was like putting a 36HP VW engine in a Lincoln Navigator.

We went to a place that had been my favorite before floods scoured it out; we walked down about 3/4 mile to some better water, had nearly no luck (two 4" browns), walked down that a mile, then had a long walk across fields back. The grass is up to my chest and hides a multitude of potholes etc. My sister's bad knee didn't like that at all and she would cry out when she stepped forward and found that the step also involved a sudden 6" drop, jarring her knee. We were both tired and sweaty when we got back to the car. That evening, I realized that we had left my rods there when we had shed our waders. I drove back, only to find that my rods had both been run over. These were not cheap rods: A Sage LL 4711-2 and even more heartbreaking a Hardy Zenith one-piece 8'10 4-weight. Both irreplaceable. One of my reels was also busted.

Wow! None of that sounded good!
I really hope your luck changes for the better!

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Spent five days with my in-laws in beautiful Rhode Island.

This was a trip for visiting family after a long hiatus, so no fishing this trip for the little native Brookies or the Bluefish and Stripe Bass as on past trips. But it was still enjoyable and I love the history of the place.

Pawtuxet village had just celebrated it’s 250th anniversary over the 4th… I took this shot on an ice cream walk into town on Friday night.

E55F98E2-60E7-4DC5-9C3C-DBB5B08E4CF3.jpeg

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Spent five days with my in-laws in beautiful Rhode Island.

This was a trip for visiting family after a long hiatus, so no fishing this trip for the little native Brookies or the Bluefish and Stripe Bass as on past trips. But it was still enjoyable and I love the history of the place.

Pawtuxet village had just celebrated it’s 250th anniversary over the 4th… I took this shot on an ice cream walk into town on Friday night.

View attachment 23382
How's the ice cream there, I own an ice cream shop if anyone hasn't figured it out yet.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
How's the ice cream there, I own an ice cream shop if anyone hasn't figured it out yet.
We had double cones at Dear Hearts ice cream in Pawtuxet and it was excellent.

1658704257258.jpeg

Every little village in Rhode Island seems to have at least one independent ice cream shop. I’ve never seen so many anywhere else I’ve been!

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
We had double cones at Dear Hearts ice cream in Pawtuxet and it was excellent.

View attachment 24255

Every little village in Rhode Island seems to have at least one independent ice cream shop. I’ve never seen so many anywhere else I’ve been!
Yep, east coast has tons, and each shop all make their own on site. UPenn has the industry standard ice cream courses/degree. I was part of a yahoo ice cream professionals group a while ago before yahoo shut down support for groups. The epic fights between shops was hilarious, makes fly fishing site moderating look like a cake walk :LOL: Out here we have quite a bit, over-rated salt n straw etc most serve Tillamook, Umpqua, Cascade Glacier.. or the worst.. fro-yo :sick:....

Mukman

Life of the Party
Spent some time on a western MT river with my wife who hasn’t been too much into fly fishing. Since we retired a couple of years ago, she’s opened up to the idea. With the help of a patient guide and a beautiful river, she had a great time. Progress!!

Attachments

• 4058D9ED-C77E-456C-BEF1-F7222E290039.jpeg
    4058D9ED-C77E-456C-BEF1-F7222E290039.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44

Doublebluff

As sure as your sorrows are joys
Forum Supporter
I got out to one of my favorite summer steelhead haunts for one last shot before the heat really kicked in. I fished two days- one day I biked around and fished, the second day I just drove to the trailhead. The weather was perfect, the water perfect, and I didn't see anyone on either day. I fished with a 10 ft 5-weight switch rod.
Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 7.25.13 AM.png

This is one of my favorite stretches of river anywhere- unfortunately the steelhead fishing has been following the overall northwest trends. Lots of wonderful cutts but running into a steelhead here has been a rare event the last couple of years. I did get one on my second day- a smaller wild fish that was perfect for the 5 weight. This is where I caught the fish- a classic hole at the bottom of an island.
Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 7.25.44 AM.png

I fish this stretch every single time I go and have never run into a steelhead. I don't know why.
Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 7.27.25 AM.png

I was exhausted toward the end of the bike-in day and I fell in, full-body, in about 3 feet of slow water. I just could not get my feet back under me- probably 20 seconds before I got vertical again. Feeling that water fill the waders from the toes on up- what a bummer. I had to fully disrobe and dump/wring everything out.
On the second day, right at the (steep) trailhead, my walking stick slipped and I went into a butt slide. I might have gone a long ways, but a lucky grab of a branch as I went down probably saved the trip. I think I may be getting too old for this stuff.

Overall, a wonderful couple of days.
Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 7.26.40 AM.png

Last edited:

dep

Steelhead
you got out fishing
you rode a bike
you hooked some fish
you're sore

most of us would be.
glad you got out!

Deansie

Steelhead
Nice little trip to Boston the past few days w/ the wifey…stayed at a nice place, ate great food, put on 50+ miles walking and riding bike seeing the sites and 2 Sox games, one of which was viewed from the top of the Green Monster. Great getaway.

Looked to see if there were any fly shops in the city…not one (not counting Orvis). I find that hard to believe.

Reactions: Zak

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Worst weekend ever.

WTF, shit weekend for the record books.

Speaking of failed turbos...this past weekend was following my daughter-in-law in her just purchased 2018 3/4 Ton Lariat 4x diesel (she pulls a horse trailer), both of us loaded with SUP's and kayaks after a multi-family D river float. she suddenly pulls over to the side with a blown turbo. 8K dealer repair...that three year full coverage warranty she purchased along with the truck suddenly a hella good deal.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
A buddy with a dump trailer dropped off a few yards of gravel so I can start working on making the side of the house and the parking pad in the back easier to use.

Also took my nephew fishing and he caught his first [tiny] bass. The next day took my younger son swimming with some friends at a local lake to beat the heat.

D2FD9DF6-D87A-4CFC-BDAA-A6DEBD8584D6.jpeg