Rain

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This photo from the Willamette National Forest folks shows the Santiam Pass snow-park, at approx 5000 feet, on December 28th. It should show deep snow. It looks more like the Oregon central Cascades are in deep shit, looking forward to spring runoff.

BB418D83-CD60-4ABC-8AFA-BE934B2C958B.jpeg

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
TV Weather/News reporter tonight indicated the Olympic mountain snowpack is currently only at 28% of normal for this date, and North and Central Cascades snowpack only at about 50%.

I commented a week or so ago that it’s still early in the season, but this is getting a little worrisome.

Record high temp’ today (12/29) at SeaTac airport was 63F!!!

Last edited:

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What days does the winter season start?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
What days does the winter season start?
Apparently next Friday according to the weather guessers. Same-day forecasts are accurate about 80% of the time, next-day are about 90%, and 10-day are about 50%, so flip a coin--either they're right, or they're wrong.

Show weather in Port Townsend.jpeg

RCF

Life of the Party
Bring it! I will be done with outdoor projects this weekend. I need some time off for my old, weak, out of shape, fat body to recuperate for this spring's projects.

Might take until March 1st... Only way to tell is to go fishing...

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Yesterday at West Beach on Whidbey.
I wonder how Teslas do against saltwater?
SF

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I learned a new to me term this morning while reading a forecast.
Graupel
Graupel, also called soft hail, hominy snow, or snow pellets, is precipitation that forms when supercooled water droplets in air are collected and freeze on falling snowflakes, forming 2–5 mm balls of crisp, opaque rime.Graupel is distinct from hail and ice pellets in both formation and appearance.

flybill

Life of the Party
Graupel
Graupel, also called soft hail, hominy snow, or snow pellets, is precipitation that forms when supercooled water droplets in air are collected and freeze on falling snowflakes, forming 2–5 mm balls of crisp, opaque rime.Graupel is distinct from hail and ice pellets in both formation and appearance.
Graupel! Our "Word of the Day"!! LOL!

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Graupel
Swept away some cobwebs to remember that one from my backcountry skiing days...
1704901977983.png
"A buried graupel layer demonstrates its ball-bearing-like appearance."
Very Bad on snow slopes.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
I’d be coming up with some new words if faced with this…..and wouldn’t be graupel

Who doesn’t love a sweet, cleansing saltwater bath for the underside of their car, though?

Hope WSF gave all those employees coupons for the car wash.