Puget Sound

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Scent of a Swimmer Saturday report.
Got up at 4:00 and decided to head south. Beach one produced one small cutt. Headed to beach two. Just as I walked onto the beach, the swimmer was emerging from the water. Had a nice short chat with her.
I knew nothing was going to bite there after the 1600 meter medley performance. Headed north up the beach to look for seaglass since I was already there.
The stiff south wind which put me downwind helped the Chanel #5 scent clear my sinuses.
Went to beach three which was a chocolate mess with whitecaps, so I headed to the mini mart for a corn dog before heading home.
Pretty damn good corn dog, with mustard of course. Added some nice pieces to my collection. Kind of a ugly day weather wise after a nice start.
SF

View attachment 5994

I am glad I made the decision to stay home, get some work done and organize fly boxes. I need to start taking better care of my flies so there is no need to tie 100 stinger clousers/clousers for coho every year. What a corroded mess that box was. Not much salvageable from last year….

18AE476B-D357-4D0D-A32D-546D55759C2D.jpeg

I think I may explore some new beaches tomorrow or maybe take the boat out. My normal MA 13 beaches have not produced squat as of late. Worth a shot I suppose…

Last edited:

Bagman

Steelhead
Scent of a Swimmer Saturday report.
Got up at 4:00 and decided to head south. Beach one produced one small cutt. Headed to beach two. Just as I walked onto the beach, the swimmer was emerging from the water. Had a nice short chat with her.
I knew nothing was going to bite there after the 1600 meter medley performance. Headed north up the beach to look for seaglass since I was already there.
The stiff south wind which put me downwind helped the Chanel #5 scent clear my sinuses.
Went to beach three which was a chocolate mess with whitecaps, so I headed to the mini mart for a corn dog before heading home.
Pretty damn good corn dog, with mustard of course. Added some nice pieces to my collection. Kind of a ugly day weather wise after a nice start.
SF

View attachment 5994
Any day you can pick up some nice pieces of glass is a good day.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Fished a couple beaches with @jasmillo this morning. First one produced some rezzies and we blanked out on the second.

Wind was kinda brutal but was blowing in a favorable direction, tide wasn't so ideal and water a a little murky.

They didn't like the flashy surf candy I had on first and prefered this jiggy fly.

PXL_20220220_152721051.jpgPXL_20220220_172855860.jpg

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Fished a couple beaches with @jasmillo this morning. First one produced some rezzies and we blanked out on the second.

Wind was kinda brutal but was blowing in a favorable direction, tide wasn't so ideal and water a a little murky.

They didn't like the flashy surf candy I had on first and prefered this jiggy fly.

View attachment 6087View attachment 6088

Yeah, slow day but it was nice to fish some new water catch some rezzies finally. First of the winter for me which is crazy. Swung by a few other beaches later in the morning going into late afternoon but did not stop. Sun seemed to bring out the crowds!

Fish.

4D5EAAA5-40F6-4730-AD3C-7380400FC1A4.jpeg

E21DCBEF-FB76-4CA1-BA3A-F6109F537EB6.jpeg

Flies that caught them.

10C1E8F9-1541-4B70-9578-5B981B595F63.jpeg

51A3072D-E7CE-46A8-B5A3-17060E5F291E.jpeg

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
One of the guys brought one of those fancy aquariums his wife bought him thru the wild fish conservancy. It was my first experience using one of those. I gotta say I was not impressed and will not consider adding one to my boat moving forward.

Nick what didn't you like about the aquarium?

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Nick what didn't you like about the aquarium?

Well, aside from the overall hassle of physically dealing with it in a small boat, which is a hassle but could certainly be dealt with, my issues with were mostly:

The opening is very narrow. Much more so than I had expected. As such, it didn't seem feasible to gently drop a fish from the net into the tank without risking bonking the fish on the edge of the tank, or worse yet the fish missing the tank and hitting the deck/gunnel. As such it seemed the safest option for getting the fish into the tank was to grab the fish with our hands, remove it from the net and slide it into the tank. Avoiding handling of the fish seems like one of the biggest advantages of using a tank, but we couldn't figure out how to get the fish in safely without handling it which kinda seems to take away from the greatest advantage.

My biggest issue though, is every single fish we put in the tank went absolutely ape shit. Flopping all over the place, damn near flopping out of the tank on a couple occasions, and worst of all banging their heads and bodies against the glass multiple times. They didn't just slide into the tank and lay dormant, they went freaking nuts. I didn't like that one bit. Again the tank is narrow, so it doesn't take a lot of movement at all and the fish is hitting the side of the tank. Not saying that will kill them or anything, but sure seems like a lot of added stress.

For every 1 decent picture we got there was at least a dozen pic attempts that turned out to be nothing more than a fish flopping around in a tank. Who knows, maybe we were doing something wrong, but I dunno....its a tank filled with water, doesn't exactly require detailed instructions lol.

Anyway, my overall impressions were just not positive. I didn't see at all how this was a better way to take a fish picture than my standard net, unhook, snap pic, turn net over and release process. Even a quick grip and lift out of the net for a photo is quicker, and since we had to handle the fish anyway, wouldn't really be sacrificing anything

Bagman

Steelhead
Well, aside from the overall hassle of physically dealing with it in a small boat, which is a hassle but could certainly be dealt with, my issues with were mostly:

The opening is very narrow. Much more so than I had expected. As such, it didn't seem feasible to gently drop a fish from the net into the tank without risking bonking the fish on the edge of the tank, or worse yet the fish missing the tank and hitting the deck/gunnel. As such it seemed the safest option for getting the fish into the tank was to grab the fish with our hands, remove it from the net and slide it into the tank. Avoiding handling of the fish seems like one of the biggest advantages of using a tank, but we couldn't figure out how to get the fish in safely without handling it which kinda seems to take away from the greatest advantage.

My biggest issue though, is every single fish we put in the tank went absolutely ape shit. Flopping all over the place, damn near flopping out of the tank on a couple occasions, and worst of all banging their heads and bodies against the glass multiple times. They didn't just slide into the tank and lay dormant, they went freaking nuts. I didn't like that one bit. Again the tank is narrow, so it doesn't take a lot of movement at all and the fish is hitting the side of the tank. Not saying that will kill them or anything, but sure seems like a lot of added stress.

For every 1 decent picture we got there was at least a dozen pic attempts that turned out to be nothing more than a fish flopping around in a tank. Who knows, maybe we were doing something wrong, but I dunno....its a tank filled with water, doesn't exactly require detailed instructions lol.

Anyway, my overall impressions were just not positive. I didn't see at all how this was a better way to take a fish picture than my standard net, unhook, snap pic, turn net over and release process. Even a quick grip and lift out of the net for a photo is quicker, and since we had to handle the fish anyway, wouldn't really be sacrificing anything
That’s really just what I was thinking. That and wondering how heavy that tank of salt water is and what would happen if a wake hit the boat while you were trying to take a pic.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Anyone try using an Ally's Shrimp for their SRC patterns? My go to on the Oregon coast,,
View attachment 6209

No, not that pattern but have had success with a Johnson Beach Fly which is similar in regards to the orange color.
That is a good looking fly.
SF

BryanG

Just Hatched
So, I’m going to throw this out and if I get no answers, well, I can’t and won’t complain.

I have young kids and a lovely wife. They are great, and I wouldn’t trade them for the world, but they are all out of town this weekend visiting grandma and grandpa in PDX. I’m a Seattle guy and have a few free hours on my hands. This is extremely rare and hasn’t happened at all in a really long time. I have a few Miyawaki poppers and would like to learn more about SRC. Full disclosure: total newb here!!

Seems like tides tomorrow will be quite aggressive on the outgoing side tomorrow afternoon. Should I go to the Narrows? I figure I should head south, but that’s about as far as I’ve narrowed this down. PM’s only please on this, but I would love some help!

If it makes any difference, we just got small lot down in MA13 and I’m hoping to become a better and more useful contributor to this forum as time passes and my kids get older. I’ve been a lurker on this site (or its predecessor) for awhile and am just now figuring that it’s time to speak up.

Grateful for the new site!

Thanks,

Bryan

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
So, I’m going to throw this out and if I get no answers, well, I can’t and won’t complain.

I have young kids and a lovely wife. They are great, and I wouldn’t trade them for the world, but they are all out of town this weekend visiting grandma and grandpa in PDX. I’m a Seattle guy and have a few free hours on my hands. This is extremely rare and hasn’t happened at all in a really long time. I have a few Miyawaki poppers and would like to learn more about SRC. Full disclosure: total newb here!!

Seems like tides tomorrow will be quite aggressive on the outgoing side tomorrow afternoon. Should I go to the Narrows? I figure I should head south, but that’s about as far as I’ve narrowed this down. PM’s only please on this, but I would love some help!

If it makes any difference, we just got small lot down in MA13 and I’m hoping to become a better and more useful contributor to this forum as time passes and my kids get older. I’ve been a lurker on this site (or its predecessor) for awhile and am just now figuring that it’s time to speak up.

Grateful for the new site!

Thanks,

Bryan

You can catch cutts in the Narrows, but it is more of a salmon beach then a cutthroat beach in my opinion. You’d be better off going further west of south for better chances at cutts.
Just about everyone had either caught their first cutt (me) or caught cutts at Purdy. That afternoon outgoing would be a good option there.
You might also want to check the weather as it is going to start blowing pretty good late tomorrow afternoon into the evening.
Have fun and good luck.
SF

Last edited:

BryanG

Just Hatched
You can catch cutts in the Narrows, but it is more of a salmon beach then a cutthroat beach in my opinion. You’d be better off going further west of south for better chances at cutts.
Just about everyone had either caught their first cutt (me) or caught cutts at Purdy. That afternoon outgoing would be a good option there.
You might also want to check the weather as it is going to start blowing pretty good lake tomorrow afternoon into the evening.
Have fun and good luck.
SF