New Classifieds Requirement

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
If they're trying to keep scammers out, why not just raise the bar for non-member postings from 10 to say 50 or 100 rather then totally elimate everyone that's not a forum member..? If your are a forum member then that stipulation is eliminated, they can post right away. Rarely do I use the classifieds to either purchase or sell. The way I view it is that I'm being forced to become a forum member in order to just list or purchase from the classifieds..
Having run multiple sites, setting a post limit doesn't work. Scammers will do a bunch of one line posts to hit that limit. Especially the career scammers.

Mark Yoshida

Deep Line & Vertical
Forum Supporter
I didn’t read it either but thought what the hell. I can always change it later
$60 dollars US works out to about $80 plus a year in Canadian funds...just saying...
I gave up my visit to Starbucks every Sunday.
Thought about giving up my visit to Uwajimaya but just couldn’t give up my favorite. 😆EBF33D5D-250A-451B-8446-22D44406D2FB.jpeg

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Can I offer NFTs?
What is the attraction for you to NFTs? I mean really. I understand but as a traditional artist I do not. I am a bit of a fuddyduddy I suppose. I never considered digital art as substantive by my definition of what art is. I designed digitally, created imaging and graphic design and some experimental works for 30 years. I never thought of that work as my art. The skill required for use of the software tools is eqivalent to page layout and most of the “hand of the artist” is not visible in the end product. Mechanization.Production sequencing , etc.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
What is the attraction for you to NFTs? I mean really. I understand but as a traditional artist I do not. I am a bit of a fuddyduddy I suppose. I never considered digital art as substantive by my definition of what art is. I designed digitally, created imaging and graphic design and some experimental works for 30 years. I never thought of that work as my art. The skill required for use of the software tools is eqivalent to page layout and most of the “hand of the artist” is not visible in the end product. Mechanization.Production sequencing , etc.
let's keep that discussion in another thread

Russell

Steelhead
I was qualified with 10 just long enough to not post anything for sale:ROFLMAO:

I get charging a fee to use the classifieds to help fund the site rather than adds. But how does this really keep anyone here from being scammed or being contacted from a scammer?
I know that there are a few scam postings but it seems like most scams are from people contacting WTB posters. Doesn't seem like the fee really is going to help people from getting scammed.
Not against the fee for using the classifieds, just don't seem to buy the sales pitch for it.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I was qualified with 10 just long enough to not post anything for sale:ROFLMAO:

I get charging a fee to use the classifieds to help fund the site rather than adds. But how does this really keep anyone here from being scammed or being contacted from a scammer?
I know that there are a few scam postings but it seems like most scams are from people contacting WTB posters. Doesn't seem like the fee really is going to help people from getting scammed.
Not against the fee for using the classifieds, just don't seem to buy the sales pitch for it.
it's one of the few things we can to to make a more quality experience. you can't be anonymous when paying with a credit card, so a site contributor is someone we can identify if they rip anyone off. we don't anticipate ever needing to do that, though, as we don't suspect a scammer will take the steps to sign up and contribute. additionally, discouraging scammers is only part of the reason for this decision, as we've stated.

we're still working on a plan for the WTB scammers.

Roadglideguy

"Spawned and so done"
Then you didn't read the details. A one time donation of at least $5 gets you in. If this site isn't worth that to you, then you're welcome to go elsewhere.
your right I did not see the one time payment option...but thanks for the permission

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I think the vast majority here understand our stance and are on board. We know we can't please everybody, and are making no effort to do so. We're not ashamed to ask for compensation for our work by "selling" premium features for the site. No more than we'd be ashamed to ask for compensation for any work we do in our lives.

Like any product for sale out there, nobody is forcing anybody in to anything: you buy the product, or you choose another. We're proud of our work here, and are sticking to our guns. Coming in and expressing disapproval for our business model won't change anything.

I will reiterate: We are intentionally choosing a business model that makes us a lot less money in exchange for protecting people's information and providing a higher quality experience. We could easily abandon our principles to make more money and make everything "free." But we are taking a different path.

Last edited:

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
your right I did not see the one time payment option...but thanks for the permission
Let us know if you want us to get rid of your account. Unlike the old page we are happy to spam clean ya. That's the type of customer service you can expect around these parts...😃

RCF

Life of the Party
Sometimes we get buried in the weeds rather than looking at a bigger picture. People are looking at $5 to be able to list something for sale (plus 10 posts). So if I were to sell a rod for $300 I would net $295. If I were to sell 3 rods in a month (e.g. house-cleaning) @ $300 each I would net $895 (295+300+300). If I was a repeat seller on PNWFF it would only be $5 per month.

On the big site if I sold 1 rod for $300 I would net $267.50. If I sold 3 rods for $300 each on the big site I would net $802.50. A difference of $92.50 which would be in my pocket if sold on PNWFF. Deal!!!

Note: PayPal fees and sales tax (if applicable) are not included nor is shipping.

Side note: People are very conscious about each $ spent/received. As they should be. IMHO piece of mind knowing who you are buying from, knowing their reputation or being able to check them out on PNWFF, knowing the owners/moderators are focused on safety, support and weeding out the scammers, is worth the $5 I do not pay on the old site. Just sayin'

Last edited:

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
There are enumerable folks that utilize social media sites for their own gain. Basically business sites as by definition to promote their products and services. There is no obligatory fee s attached unless the pitching is public. Along with that kind of format(FB) you get a lot of voluntary admins that do not see the spam show up right away. By paying a support fee here you get access to a Classified section to offer goods for sale. The owners of the site are compensated for the administrating of the site that they do anyway along with controlling the type of intrusions that ads and spam create. It makes for a more clean interface that I value. So as a monthly supporter without even using the classified section as yet i want to contribute to sustain the site controls ( suggested , conveyed or promised) I appreciate what you folks have created and vision for how best to operate.