New Classifieds Requirement

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
While this hasn't hit US yet, scammers are everywhere on these forums. We want to keep them out so nobody gets ripped off. We've been brainstorming on how to do this, and think we're finally there.

We plan to keep the 10 post minimum for someone to start making classifieds posts. Additionally, we will now require anyone who makes a classifieds post to be a forum supporter. We feel this is a small ask for someone to be able to use the classifieds. Since the core of the users here are already forum supporters, this won't affect many.

Our hope is this keeps the crooks, ebay store folks, and non-contributors from taking advantage of the classifieds resource.

Last edited:

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Solid plan!

cdnred

Life of the Party
I might be out of line here but I'm not a Forum Supporter. The way I see it, I'm being forced into becoming a forum supporter in order to use this site. I was always under the impression that this was an optional choice and not being forced into it in order to use the classifieds which wasn't a requirement at the WFF...

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I might be out of line here but I'm not a Forum Supporter. The way I see it, I'm being forced into becoming a forum supporter in order to use this site. I was always under the impression that this was an optional choice and not being forced into it in order to use the classifieds which wasn't a requirement at the WFF...
This isn't WFF, and WFF has a problem there with scammers. A one time donation of $5 is all it takes. You're not forced in to it to use the site, just put things up for sale.

This site costs us time and money to maintain and we do not run ads. WFF ran ads to make money (a lot more money than we do). We make enough to pay for our operating costs, and might have enough left over at the end of the year to give the three of us a small bonus for our time spent (which would be less than minimum wage).

We're operating this place on thin margins on this crazy idea that people value an ad-free, tracker-free, place that doesn't sell their data.

Last edited:

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
The other option could be that all potential sellers have to pass the Freestone background check! If the seller passes the first round of internet sleuthing and his/her references check out, the next step is to meet in person. The prospective seller then has to take me out on their best local waters. This seller qualification process will last for as long as I think it should, depending on the abundance and quality of the local waters, LOL! If I feel that the person has put in enough effort to prove themselves and their fishing ability, and of course, has impressed me with their knowledge of and the quality of their favorite waters, I will let the guys know that the seller is approved! This is a much better option, IMHO, than coughing up $5!

Let the applications for the Freestone background check begin! 🤣