New Classifieds Requirement

RCF

Life of the Party
Can someone give away things in the Classifieds without being a paying supporter?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I might be out of line here but I'm not a Forum Supporter. The way I see it, I'm being forced into becoming a forum supporter in order to use this site. I was always under the impression that this was an optional choice and not being forced into it in order to use the classifieds which wasn't a requirement at the WFF...
The site itself is open and free for anyone except for one area, the classifieds. We made the choice when deciding how to run PNWFF that we wanted to do some stuff differently than was done on WFF. One of the biggest "changes" people asked for was a bit more protection in the classifieds. Another was that we didn't want to have to run junk ads with creepy tracking technology.

And requiring people to support PNWFF in order to use the site classifieds to sell stuff helps with both. Kicking the site a few bucks to help pay the bills is not a huge ask for most people here. And full on scammers aren't likely to give their information and money up just to try and screw a few people.

Finally, if someone who is an active contributing member has a situation where it is a big ask, I'd encourage them to drop Evan, Billy and I a DM and start a conversation about the situation. Perhaps we can work something out.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Can someone give away things in the Classifieds without being a paying supporter?
That's a good question. I wonder how we could set that up? I'll look into it.

Reactions: RCF

SSPey

loco alto!
I support this decision. It’d be even better if it stopped the scammers who send private messages (offering fake goods) in response to a WTB ads. Seems that’s been a major source of classified scams, rather than public “For Sale” posts of fake items.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I support this decision. It’d be even better if it stopped the scammers who send private messages (offering fake goods) in response to a WTB ads. Seems that’s been a major source of classified scams, rather than public “For Sale” posts of fake items.
You're correct. We need to figure that one out too. May take more creativity.

RCF

Life of the Party
You're correct. We need to figure that one out too. May take more creativity.

I know this is not the answer but a Sticky about "Safe Buying and Selling Online Practices" could be a first step in the right direction. Other sites have taken this approach...

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I know this is not the answer but a Sticky about "Safe Buying and Selling Online Practices" could be a first step in the right direction. Other sites have taken this approach...
Been thinking about doing just that.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If you have an issue with a 5 dollar donation then put that 5 dollars into the price of your product/service that you are selling on the classifieds to offset. Everyone does it for paypal fees.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Non paying members are welcome to post their free stuff in this sticky Classifieds thread:

Mark Yoshida

Deep Line & Vertical
Forum Supporter
The other option could be that all potential sellers have to pass the Freestone background check! If the seller passes the first round of internet sleuthing and his/her references check out, the next step is to meet in person. The prospective seller then has to take me out on their best local waters. This seller qualification process will last for as long as I think it should, depending on the abundance and quality of the local waters, LOL! If I feel that the person has put in enough effort to prove themselves and their fishing ability, and of course, has impressed me with their knowledge of and the quality of their favorite waters, I will let the guys know that the seller is approved! This is a much better option, IMHO, than coughing up $5!

Let the applications for the Freestone background check begin! 🤣
Damn, a date with Freestone. Can I get a refund?

cdnred

Life of the Party
The other option could be that all potential sellers have to pass the Freestone background check! If the seller passes the first round of internet sleuthing and his/her references check out, the next step is to meet in person. The prospective seller then has to take me out on their best local waters. This seller qualification process will last for as long as I think it should, depending on the abundance and quality of the local waters, LOL! If I feel that the person has put in enough effort to prove themselves and their fishing ability, and of course, has impressed me with their knowledge of and the quality of their favorite waters, I will let the guys know that the seller is approved! This is a much better option, IMHO, than coughing up $5!

Let the applications for the Freestone background check begin! 🤣
If they're trying to keep scammers out, why not just raise the bar for non-member postings from 10 to say 50 or 100 rather then totally elimate everyone that's not a forum member..? If your are a forum member then that stipulation is eliminated, they can post right away. Rarely do I use the classifieds to either purchase or sell. The way I view it is that I'm being forced to become a forum member in order to just list or purchase from the classifieds..

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
The way I view it is that I'm being forced to become a forum member in order to just list or purchase from the classifieds..
To list, you're correct. You do need to contribute. to purchase, you do not.

This is how we're choosing to run this part of the forum. It is being met with overwhelming support and we're going to stick to this until further notice.

This forum is a private business just as WFF was/is. We're choosing a different path to fund it than WFF. This is one part of that path. In addition to the funding, this is one thing we can do to eliminate anonymity with sellers to protect members.

Last edited:

Rooster

Smolt
If they're trying to keep scammers out, why not just raise the bar for non-member postings from 10 to say 50 or 100 rather then totally elimate everyone that's not a forum member..? If your are a forum member then that stipulation is eliminated, they can post right away. Rarely do I use the classifieds to either purchase or sell. The way I view it is that I'm being forced to become a forum member in order to just list or purchase from the classifieds..
Hmmm. It's the internet, there are plenty of places to buy and sell gear. Nobody forcing anyone to do anything, they're just trying to protect members.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Facebook Marketplace is free to use - The catch is they're mining and selling your data. You are the product.

WFF classifieds are free to use - The catch is they're mining and selling your data and feeding you junk ads. You are the product.

We're asking a small contribution to use this, no additional strings attached.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If you rarely use the classifieds why are you making such a big fuss about something that you are "rarely" going to use anyway? Also, if you are pitching such a fuss about something that you are rarely going to use and honestly in the big scheme of things is not a big deal then don't you feel like you are completely wasting your time with this push back? Cmon man lets just move on and talk about some fishin.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
The way I view it is that I'm being forced to become a forum member in order to just list or purchase from the classifieds..
Just to double down on making this clear (in case anyone else was confused as well):

Do I have to be a "forum supporter" to list items for sale in the classifieds?

Yes, you do.

Do I have to be a "forum supporter" to purchase items others have listed in the classifieds (or reply to their FS posts)?

No, you do not.

Do I have to be a "forum supporter" to give something away for free?

No, you do not. We have a “free stuff” thread right here that is open to anyone.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If that is not out in Crayon™ enough I don't know what is.

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
I don’t understand why people cannot donate a $5 minimum if they want to sell on this site’s classifieds. There is good information here about fly fishing and it takes the creators of this site time and expense.