Knife Sharpening Q's

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Do you like that axe? I've thought about getting that one.
My opinion would not be one from experience as I have not had it out in the field yet. However, the reasons I bought it was the size. It also felt nice in the hand when chocked up on it, and it looks like the handles are replaceable also. It also creates quit a big spark when using it with a fire rod. So in theory and based on others reviews I think this would be nice to have when im off the grid so worth a shot.

One of my biggest fears, is being out with my bud's off the grid in February and someone takes a dip in the river and its 20 degrees out, and the only way the dude is going to survive is to build a fire, and get this person warm quick before help arrives. I came to the realization at that time that I would not be skilled enough to save my buddies life cause I didnt know how to build a fire properly from minimal materials in a very wet environment.

Fast forward to today and whenever I go fishing I have what I need in case of emergency.

Just now blabbing but gosh its funny how tastes change. Heck for the longest time I was into combat stuff, knives, guns, ect. Even collected them. Then I realize these fancy guns arent going to do shit if I can't build a god damn fire and "survive". So now I have fun focusing on bush whacking techniques. Right now I am having fun with shelter building. So many cool knots to be discovered too.

Last edited:

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@DanielOcean,

Sounds to me like you and a few others on this thread, need to check out " BushcraftUSA.com ", if you havent already done so. Its the equivalent of this site, but the content addresses all outdoor skills. Everyone there is helpful and shares knowledge freely, without any drama. Lots of good people just like here. Maybe Ill see you there. I got the same Icon there as here.

Happy 2023.

Bob

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
@DanielOcean,

Sounds to me like you and a few others on this thread, need to check out " BushcraftUSA.com ", if you havent already done so. Its the equivalent of this site, but the content addresses all outdoor skills. Everyone there is helpful and shares knowledge freely, without any drama. Lots of good people just like here. Maybe Ill see you there. I got the same Icon there as here.

Happy 2023.

Bob
and feel free to share that kind of knowledge here, too! Outdoor tips and knowledge of all types have a place here on PNWFF

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This is my main knife I have used for a about 12 years. I have always had huge admiration for Navy Seals so when I was looking for my first fixed blade this was top of my list. Its a Sog Seal Team 2000. From what I have seen, Sog no longer makes this so I have decided to retire it due to fear of loss. The military tactical vibe is also just not my thing anymore. New knife family member ordered and set to arrive next week.
1673121967831.png

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
This is my main knife I have used for a about 12 years. I have always had huge admiration for Navy Seals so when I was looking for my first fixed blade this was top of my list. Its a Sog Seal Team 2000. From what I have seen, Sog no longer makes this so I have decided to retire it due to fear of loss. The military tactical vibe is also just not my thing anymore. New knife family member ordered and set to arrive next week.
View attachment 49021
I got my son a Morakniv Garberg full tang sheath knife and liked it so much I got one for myself. Good knife for the money, I think.

Modern SOG stuff seems to have gone downhill, or maybe they make nicer stuff for the military.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
View attachment 49021

That SOG looks nice. Did you order the ESEE 4?

Mukman

Life of the Party
For those of you who have/use a Ken Onion, would it remedy this nick? Love the knife, very bothered by the nick - I know that nicks can become bigger or become a corrosion point.

Attachments

• 3F8C20D4-3F6A-4C9F-887F-516C7DAFD3DB.jpeg
    3F8C20D4-3F6A-4C9F-887F-516C7DAFD3DB.jpeg
    678.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 44F9C892-B0D0-46DD-9E3F-ED54CD195BF4.jpeg
    44F9C892-B0D0-46DD-9E3F-ED54CD195BF4.jpeg
    475.9 KB · Views: 32

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
For those of you who have/use a Ken Onion, would it remedy this nick? Love the knife, very bothered by the nick - I know that nicks can become bigger or become a corrosion point.
Yes it can remove metal fast

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I got this a long time ago too before inflation as it seems they have climbed in price exponentially (shocked I spelt that correctly the first pass). 1673133832842.png
Benchmade 580 Barrage assisted open.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I got my son a Morakniv Garberg full tang sheath knife and liked it so much I got one for myself. Good knife for the money, I think.

Modern SOG stuff seems to have gone downhill, or maybe they make nicer stuff for the military.
Yes sir I agree with you on the sog stuff for sure. I am not sure what specific group they are targeting but its not getting my attention anymore. I was looking at the folders and was not very impressed. Very plasticky looking.

Reactions: Zak