Knife Sharpening Q's

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm not a huge fan of assisted knives but I do have a Mini Barrage that I like quite a bit
I was trying to figure out what Syderco blade that is (probably missed it). Is that the paramilitary? MIne is the cheap walmart one

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I was trying to figure out what Syderco blade that is (probably missed it). Is that the paramilitary? MIne is the cheap walmart one

It's the PM2. I wasn't a Spyderco fan for a long time, mainly just because they look kinda goofy. Finally pulled the trigger on this one since it's so universally loved, and quickly became a believer. Just an incredible blade, and the ergonomics when holding this knife are like nothing I have ever held. It fits me so well.

I've since added a PM3 as well as a Spydiechef, both of which I am a big fan of.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Question for the class.

Thoughts on using the Work Sharp to change a scandi grind to a convex grind? I have a bunch of simple, utilitarian carbon steel scandi grind knivs (higonokamis are my favorite) that are all pretty dull. I always bought scandis because theyre easy to sharpen (just keep the single bevel side down!) but I still don't have time to sharpen on stones. Is it worth to just change the grind shape and sharpen on the WS. Thoughts? It's not like these are expensive blades and the other option is they sit for who knows how long until i finally get the energy/time to pull out my stones. Higos are all around $30 and the tiny fixed blade up top was like $12 and I added the bolster and handle and made the sheath.

What do you think?

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
mcswny,

Up front, I am no way an expert. At times, sharpening knives can frustrate me. Most of the tijme, I can get my knives razor sharp, via a DMT Diamond Stone. The times I cant, usually means it time to create a new knive edge/profile. Basically, when this happens, Ive just run out of edge steel, which is needed to create a burr. The Worksharp has my interest but a knife maker/Blacksmith friend of mine, has a sweet belt sander which I can take advantage of.

I think a simple way to change a Scandi grind to a Convex grind, is to use a mousepad and sandpaper. Videos on how to do this are on BushcraftUSA and of course, You Tube.

The discussions and videos on BCUSA, are incredibly informative and simple to understand. If you dont have a mousepad, I think you could use 3mm or 5 mm foam sheets, of which most fly tiers have access to.;)

If you dont want to get rid of the Scandi Bevel, ( Im talking removing the bevel shape/grind line from the blade shoulder ), just hit the working edge of the knife, with the sandpaper and mousepad. IMHO Scandis give a much sharper/surgical edge. Convex edges last longer but dopnt cut as well. Both edges can last a long, long time with stropping. The proper use of said edge, i.e. no cutting of tin cans or pounding/battoning through Oak with knots, also helps an edge last.

Be fun.

Bob

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
mcswny,

Up front, I am no way an expert. At times, sharpening knives can frustrate me. Most of the tijme, I can get my knives razor sharp, via a DMT Diamond Stone. The times I cant, usually means it time to create a new knive edge/profile. Basically, when this happens, Ive just run out of edge steel, which is needed to create a burr. The Worksharp has my interest but a knife maker/Blacksmith friend of mine, has a sweet belt sander which I can take advantage of.

I think a simple way to change a Scandi grind to a Convex grind, is to use a mousepad and sandpaper. Videos on how to do this are on BushcraftUSA and of course, You Tube.

The discussions and videos on BCUSA, are incredibly informative and simple to understand. If you dont have a mousepad, I think you could use 3mm or 5 mm foam sheets, of which most fly tiers have access to.;)

If you dont want to get rid of the Scandi Bevel, ( Im talking removing the bevel shape/grind line from the blade shoulder ), just hit the working edge of the knife, with the sandpaper and mousepad. IMHO Scandis give a much sharper/surgical edge. Convex edges last longer but dopnt cut as well. Both edges can last a long, long time with stropping. The proper use of said edge, i.e. no cutting of tin cans or pounding/battoning through Oak with knots, also helps an edge last.

Be fun.

Bob

Hey Bob,
Yeah, when I have the patience and time, I can get a scandi grind razor sharp with my whetstones and leather strop. The problem is I just don't have that kind of time these days (or patience for that matter).

In terms of regrinding from scandi to convex, thats where the Work Sharp comes in. The Work Sharp exclusively grinds in a convex manner so I would just need to use the tool to re grind and maintain after. I think ultimately thats why I'm asking this, because if I decide to regrind, then I can maintain these knives using the Work Sharp vs stones. I just have to be ok with them having convex grinds. Obviously I'm the only one who can make this decision, I'm just thinking outloud ;)

Reactions: Zak

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I have an Ontario Rat 1 and a Rat 2. Such incredible knives for a very cheap price. Love em.
Not familiar with those but diggin the look. I love my one folding knife I have, but those are quite a bit different. Could be worth adding.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Not familiar with those but diggin the look. I love my one folding knife I have, but those are quite a bit different. Could be worth adding.

They are both excellent knives for an insanely cheap price. I think I prefer the larger sized 1 but they are both equally great knives. Just simple, solid, capable cutting tools that you won't feel bad about actually using.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hey Bob,
Yeah, when I have the patience and time, I can get a scandi grind razor sharp with my whetstones and leather strop. The problem is I just don't have that kind of time these days (or patience for that matter).

In terms of regrinding from scandi to convex, thats where the Work Sharp comes in. The Work Sharp exclusively grinds in a convex manner so I would just need to use the tool to re grind and maintain after. I think ultimately thats why I'm asking this, because if I decide to regrind, then I can maintain these knives using the Work Sharp vs stones. I just have to be ok with them having convex grinds. Obviously I'm the only one who can make this decision, I'm just thinking outloud ;)
Weird to me that the Worksharp is geared towards convex edges. It looked like it was made to grind/touch up specific angles like 25 degrees or 20 degrees and so on. A Convex edge I wouldnt think would work with that ( angle grinds ) unless you finished it off with the mousepad/sandpaper/strop leather belt etc.
I gotta be missing something.

Let us know how it turns out for you.

Bob

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Weird to me that the Worksharp is geared towards convex edges. It looked like it was made to grind/touch up specific angles like 25 degrees or 20 degrees and so on. A Convex edge I wouldnt think would work with that ( angle grinds ) unless you finished it off with the mousepad/sandpaper/strop leather belt etc.
I gotta be missing something.

Let us know how it turns out for you.

Bob

Its both! It's grinding at specific angles but in a convex manner.
If you're interested, this will explain it a bit better.

So far it's worked great.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Its both! It's grinding at specific angles but in a convex manner.
If you're interested, this will explain it a bit better.

So far it's worked great.
Yep agreed. Seems this is perfect for those that just need good reliable edge and be done with it. I would really love to see what an experienced hand can do with an old school stone. Maybe one day for me. But for now. I shit that needs cut.

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
Now me and my little leek are feeling kinda basic ☹️

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@mcswny ,

Well Damn. Pretty slick.

Knife snobs may turn up their noses but that Ken Onion will take care of about 90 percent of Knife Users, the true users not the collectors.

Thanks you guys for the info.

Bob

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You guys who bought the Ken Onion over spent LOL :)

:coffee:=:poop: