Knife Sharpening Q's

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I have a small handful of flippers and I kinda dig em. Fun to just fidget with, but from a utilitarian aspect very easy and quick to deploy one handed when needed.

These two are my favorites of those in my collection. Neither is terribly expensive and I highly enjoy using both.

20230110_200404-01.jpeg

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Since there is a wealth of knife knowledge here, can I get a rec?

I'm looking for a "budget" folder to carry while engaging in outdoor activities including hiking, backpacking, fishing, and camping. I would prefer something on the lighter end without loosing much, if any, functionality. I don't really know what I'm looking for in regards to blade length.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter

I'm looking for a "budget" folder to carry while engaging in outdoor activities including hiking, backpacking, fishing, and camping. I would prefer something on the lighter end without loosing much, if any, functionality. I don't really know what I'm looking for in regards to blade length.
Opinel carbon size 7 or 8. Always in my pocket!

Note that it is not for batonning kindling, use as a hammer, or other heavy impact uses. But it is sharp, light, and well made with good steel for less than $20.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Gary,

Folder - Swiss Army Knife "Camper" Model. I carry one every day and I end up using it about every day, be it home, camp or river. You honestly wont need anything else. Watch some Felix Imler Swiss Army Knife videos on You Tube. He is a genius on using and modifying, Swiss Army Knives. Phenomenal stuff.

Fixed blade - Mora Eldris. One on my Life Vest and one on the Gunnels, of my Driftboat, within an easy grab, from the rowers seat. Excellent all around Camp Knife also.

Both knives are inexpensive and smaller in size. The Camper goes into your pocket. The Eldris comes with a sheath. The Eldris can be a pocket carry aslo but most people use it as a neck carry or as a belt carry.

Have fun.

Bob

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Nice sheath! It looks like the $80 Leonard Leatherworks ones on Etsy. Got a link? I'd like to get one that fits my Garberg.
1673499665231.pngWell Shit! I am going to look that guy up on Etsy. Do you have a link?

• Sad
Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
View attachment 49712Well Shit! I am going to look that guy up on Etsy. Do you have a link?

I haven't bought any of their sheaths, but they look good and get good reviews. They make sheaths for specific knives. If you search Etsy for the name of your knife and "sheath," you'll get lots of options. Lots of Kydex, too.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter

I like my Kershaw Leek. Low profile, easy to carry every day.