NFR College Football 2022

Non-fishing related

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
How do you like their ex-coach
UW new guy??
Is he pretty legit?
Yes, he is legit. He’s pretty low key and players seem to like him. That said, really glad to have Tedford back as a coach. Huskies lost out when Jake Heiner decided to follow him back to Fresno. That kid is a gamer. His win over UCLA last year was epic. If he were a couple inches taller he’d be a top draft pick. FS has 4 or 5 players on pre-season watch lists, QB, safety, DE, CB.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’ve always thought Coach Tedford was underrated
He was at Cal for several seasons as I recall and was successful
When the league was good
He turned Cal around in early 2000, iirc. An ex QB, he coached Aaron Rodgers at Cal, Trent Dilfer at Fresno as well as Marshawn Lynch. He took Fresno to 2 Mountain West championships before leaving to Washington.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

wetline dave

Steelhead
I believe paying kids to play college sports on top of full ride scholarships is the beginning of the end. A full ride scholarship is worth a lot of money. Maybe more than a lot of people here make in a year. Twenty years ago it cost me $100 a credit at a Junior College! Then add food and housing and don't forget books which can cost as much as tuition. In 1966 tuiti0on was $106 at the U of W for a resident and i bet it is a hell of a lot higher now.

It is going to be which alums are willing to spend the most for talent and that will be division 1A football, a battle of the alums.

Dave

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
Saw an article on some new rule changes for the '22 season:
Targeting: Still one of the most talked-about issues in the game pertains to the rule preventing players from using their head to hit another player above the shoulders.
  • Targeting still carries a 15-yard penalty and the ejection of the guilty player, and those ejected in the second half of games have to sit out the first half of the next game.
  • But now there's a twist: the conference office can now request a review from the national coordinator of officials for a second-half targeting penalty.
  • If it's clear the player was wrongly flagged, that player can be cleared to play in the first half of his team's next game.
Fake injuries: The NCAA announced it was concerned with the practice of faking injuries, especially as the pace of college football increases with more up-tempo offenses being played.
  • Schools and conferences can report injuries they believe were faked to the national coordinator of officials, who will provide feedback.
  • Any penalties applied will be up to the conference of the school involved.
"We considered all options to address this issue, including allowing both teams an opportunity to substitute after a first down," said David Shaw, Stanford head coach and chair of the Football Rules Committee.

Preventing knee injuries: The NCAA will now only allow linemen and stationary backs in the tackle box to tackle opposing players below the waist.
  • The tackle box here is defined as the space between the usual offensive tackle position extending backwards towards the goal line.

"Kenny Pickett Rule": Be careful if you're a college football player imitating the Pitt quarterback's fake slide from last season.

• Any player that fakes a feet-first slide will be considered down at the spot where he was, not where he eventually gets tackled.
  • That rule comes into effect after Pickett ran for a 58 yard touchdown in the ACC title game after pretending to slide down instead.
Other rule changes
  • Defensive holding remains a 10-yard penalty, but always carries an automatic first down.
  • Illegal touching by an ineligible player is penalized five yards from the previous spot and now includes a loss of down.
  • Replay officials will address any clock adjustment only when a ruling is overturned with less than two minutes in the second or fourth quarters.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
A billion per year… . 😮
SF

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I think we need to change the title of this thread to Money-Grubbing College Football
Or...Minor League Major Bucks Football

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think it is safe to say (assume) that with this type of money we can’t have these student players spending more than a couple of hours taking classes and studies a day and no more than 4 days a week. It will weaken the product. A summary education, highlighting the main points of their courses will suffice.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
As long as the media rights are a billion a year, they will grow just fine.
Ditching the ncaa iwas always the plan in my view, too much money to be made to be hamstrung by an org that cant do the badic things right.
Money...it drives everything these days...

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
GO DUCKS!! Of course you all knew I'd say that. As usual, the perfect weekend is when the Ducks, Cougs and Beavers win and the Dawgs lose.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
GO DUCKS!! Of course you all knew I'd say that. As usual, the perfect weekend is when the Ducks, Cougs and Beavers win and the Dawgs lose.
I like the Ducks
I’ve heard the fans at Auztin Stadium are a bunch of dicks but I’ve never been there

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I like the Ducks
I’ve heard the fans at Auztin Stadium are a bunch of dicks but I’ve never been there
You thnk the fans at Autzen are dicks, try wearing a green shirt in Husky stadium. Friendliest fans I've encountered in this conference have been Cal Bears and Wazzu Cougs. Pullman has always been fun but not so in Seattle. Even Corvallis is nicer and that's our rival. Gonna enjoy another year and looking forward to it.