Click Pawl

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I'm a little perplexed on how your basic trout reel that clicks is "outdated". It still holds line. It still provides resistance to counter free spooling. It's design is still in use today by top reel makers worldwide. It hasn't invaded any countries. It hasn't started any insurrections. I don't know what else you could want from it. Maybe a PNWFF sticker on the side...

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'll probably hold onto my spring/pawl reels (I really like my JW Young Beaudex) but I don't have very many of them and there's a reason I've moved much of my trout/steelhead/musky fishing to the Danielsson Originals. I like the silence (the older I get) & don't need a heavy drag for any of those types of fish.

flybill

Life of the Party
I'm a little perplexed on how your basic trout reel that clicks is "outdated". It still holds line. It still provides resistance to counter free spooling. It's design is still in use today by top reel makers worldwide. It hasn't invaded any countries. It hasn't started any insurrections. I don't know what else you could want from it. Maybe a PNWFF sticker on the side...
I think it came across the border w/o papers! Damn, illegal clickers... :cool: :D :ROFLMAO:

On a somewhat funny note, I can't recall who, but know of someone who disabled the "clicker" noise, so when he caught a fish, it wouldn't make noise and make it harder for other fisherperson's to realized he was catching a fisher.. at least from the sound!

I personally love the sound, when a fish takes line off the reel! I should make it my ringtone on my phone! HA!

Russell

Steelhead
I'll probably hold onto my spring/pawl reels (I really like my JW Young Beaudex) but I don't have very many of them and there's a reason I've moved much of my trout/steelhead/musky fishing to the Danielsson Originals. I like the silence (the older I get) & don't need a heavy drag for any of those types of fish.
I like fishing the danielsson originals as well. Just wish he’d put the clicker back on them like the old ones. 😂

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I like fishing the danielsson originals as well. Just wish he’d put the clicker back on them like the old ones. 😂
They ARE pretty sweet reels....honestly though, a super light click doesn't bother me much (much like on the other Danielsson models)....

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Everybody sing along with me...

The spool on the reel goes
round and round
round and round
round and round

round and round
all day long

second verse same as the first

round and round
round and round
round and round

round and round
all day long

flybill

Life of the Party
Everybody sing along with me...

round and round
round and round
round and round

round and round
all day long

second verse same as the first

round and round
round and round
round and round

round and round
all day long
Need a line like "It goes click, click, click.."

Not that I can sing.. you guys would be asking me to stop!! 😆

Clam Gun

Just Hatched
Fascinating comparison. I generally dislike loud bikes. I like click reels.
I have never thought the sound of a reel to be intrusive in the way that I find loud vehicles. Given that a river sounds so much better than the corner of Railroad and Holly the vehicle is less intrusive in most ways.
I was fishing this morning and it was a beautiful morning. About 30 min into my run a boat pulled in across the river from me. One of the guys had a click reel. Zzzzzzz, zzzzzzzzz. Now, if I wasn't a fan of click pawl reels it may have been annoying.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I’ll take the purr of a fly reel vs the guy yelling “ Feeeeesshh Oonnn!! Oh my oh Lordy oh my he’s a biggen, hey I’ve got one on, Look at me!”
I prefer my own sayings, especially when one of my buddies is close by, "Oh my god, there's another one! I can't keep them off!"

usually, it's just a relatively quiet, "there it is..."

sometimes that first one occurs when another angler happens to step in a little too close as well.

Reactions: Zak

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
how often do you actually fight a fish on the reel? Seriously? Salmon, steelhead, trout, bass, carp or whatever you chase here in WA and the PNW.
Tidewater Kings and coastal steelhead are always a fight off the reel, have had big Kings take line so fast I had to throw the anchor over, start the motor and chase them with 40 yards of backing out before I began catching up.
And those nearing double digit Crane Prairie bows and Paulina browns require a lot of back and forth off the reel during what can be quite the battle.
And there's newbies...I always start them on the lake...no wading stumbles, backcast snags, bad drifts...sit in that comfortable front seat, half-ass cast out in front of them, wait for the indicator to dip...'just keep the rod tip up, let the reel do the work'.
Those fishing glass and bamboo with CP reels are experienced flyfishers who have caught a ton of fish along the way, are all about the equipment which provides them the most grins, and could likely land a fish with a silk line tied to their big toe..

Divad

Whitefish
Tidewater Kings and coastal steelhead are always a fight off the reel, have had big Kings take line so fast I had to throw the anchor over, start the motor and chase them with 40 yards of backing out before I began catching up.
And those nearing double digit Crane Prairie bows and Paulina browns require a lot of back and forth off the reel during what can be quite the battle.
And there's newbies...I always start them on the lake...no wading stumbles, backcast snags, bad drifts...sit in that comfortable front seat, half-ass cast out in front of them, wait for the indicator to dip...'just keep the rod tip up, let the reel do the work'.
Those fishing glass and bamboo with CP reels are experienced flyfishers who have caught a ton of fish along the way, are all about the equipment which provides them the most grins, and could likely land a fish with a silk line tied to their big toe..
I second this notion, kings, chum, head and coho all get put on the reel. For large stuff I engage both pawls and crank them down. The necessity is a palming rim. The audible sound is just as addicting as the flex in the rod. Fiberglass does indeed make a great pairing.

Lake trolling big holdovers is a hoot too with a tight line. I wouldn’t bat an eye to larger warm water game fish with one caveat. Nobody makes a dual leaf spring large arbor click cause everybody now wants to use their second hand for selfies and pocket pool.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I second this notion, kings, chum, head and coho all get put on the reel. For large stuff I engage both pawls and crank them down. The necessity is a palming rim. The audible sound is just as addicting as the flex in the rod. Fiberglass does indeed make a great pairing.

Lake trolling big holdovers is a hoot too with a tight line. I wouldn’t bat an eye to larger warm water game fish with one caveat. Nobody makes a dual leaf spring large arbor click cause everybody now wants to use their second hand for selfies and pocket pool.
pocket pool while in waders, on a float tube, and fighting a fish...?
1705861105772.png