Click Pawl

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'm probably in the minority in absolutely hating those loud clickers! I'll still hold onto my old Beaudex but it's more of a purr than loud click but still rarely gets used because of the noise....

Now, hearing nothing from my Danielsson Originals while I'm whooping it up to make sure my buddies (or person who low holed me earlier) hears....THAT'S where it's at!

It's funny, I used to fish a ton of click spring click pawl reels.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I'm probably in the minority in absolutely hating those loud clickers! I'll still hold onto my old Beaudex but it's more of a purr than loud click but still rarely gets used because of the noise....

Now, hearing nothing from my Danielsson Originals while I'm whooping it up to make sure my buddies (or person who low holed me earlier) hears....THAT'S where it's at!

It's funny, I used to fish a ton of click spring click pawl reels.
I'm still looking at one of those Danielsson's, but since I can't decide on a rod I have not done anything about it. Also not sure about the quiet. Just an old dog whose been doing things the same way so long I guess. I was putting a 4 wt sink tip on a Battenkill yesterday thinking it just sounded so nice. I'm pretty sure finger/palm pressure on the line or reel is controlled as much by that sound as the pull I feel on the rod. All my reels click some it seems, except the Echo which is quiet when I wind and it's a bit distracting frankly, even unnerving. But I can spin it with my fingers and gather some line quick, which is cool. I don't know.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'm still looking at one of those Danielsson's, but since I can't decide on a rod I have not done anything about it. Also not sure about the quiet. Just an old dog whose been doing things the same way so long I guess. I was putting a 4 wt sink tip on a Battenkill yesterday thinking it just sounded so nice. I'm pretty sure finger/palm pressure on the line or reel is controlled as much by that sound as the pull I feel on the rod. All my reels click some it seems, except the Echo which is quiet when I wind and it's a bit distracting frankly, even unnerving. But I can spin it with my fingers and gather some line quick, which is cool. I don't know.
I felt the same (re: quiet). Bought my DryFly on a whim, now I have the 2W plus 2 extra spools for steelhead and trout and the 3W for tiger muskies (I'll use it for a switch rod once I get back into that too)! It doesn't hurt that their customer service is insanely good with questions, etc. never had to use it for returns...

Now, back to our spring/pawl reel talk.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I felt the same (re: quiet). Bought my DryFly on a whim, now I have the 2W plus 2 extra spools for steelhead and trout and the 3W for tiger muskies (I'll use it for a switch rod once I get back into that too)! It doesn't hurt that their customer service is insanely good with questions, etc. never had to use it for returns...

Now, back to our spring/pawl reel talk.
Yes, back to the talk, but thanks for the info. I will do it and go that size at some point I'm sure. If there is one thing I've learned over the last few years it's that the crew here never leads me astray when I venture to try new things, always turns out positive.

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
I second this notion, kings, chum, head and coho all get put on the reel. For large stuff I engage both pawls and crank them down. The necessity is a palming rim. The audible sound is just as addicting as the flex in the rod. Fiberglass does indeed make a great pairing.

Lake trolling big holdovers is a hoot too with a tight line. I wouldn’t bat an eye to larger warm water game fish with one caveat. Nobody makes a dual leaf spring large arbor click cause everybody now wants to use their second hand for selfies and pocket pool.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
drag hand after fighting big saltwater fish on a 9-12 wt CP... :)

1705875385016.pngtha

Divad

Whitefish
I’ve seen those and really want to play with one, though I don’t like that there is no adjustability externally and that weight! The lightest offering is 9.1oz for a 4”.

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
Daiwa Inc please take a 708/789 and enlarge it to ~4in and give it a large arbor.

One day I may have to get one of those fancy desktop cnc machines and build my own.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
You could always try one of these:

Just spray all surfaces down with Boeshield.

There are these older clickers specifically designed for salt but the name is escaping me...one model was actually called the Striper. I'll try to dig that up, but good luck finding one.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’d like to try a bonefish fish
When I went to the Bahamas the only reel I took was a Hardy St. Aidan loaded with a WF8F. Worked just fine, using a finger as an infinitely adjustable drag. The downside, like with any fly reel, is that it took a long time to wind the backing back in.

Divad

Whitefish
You could always try one of these:

Just spray all surfaces down with Boeshield.

There are these older clickers specifically designed for salt but the name is escaping me...one model was actually called the Striper. I'll try to dig that up, but good luck finding one.
I’ve been using older Japanese clicks for the salt, and occasionally the Sage 108s but I try to keep those for freshwater. I like the double leaf spring designs with external tensioner, that Leland is fixed though you could probably bend that spring to get sufficient drag.