Click Pawl

Clam Gun

Just Hatched
Zzzzzzzzz, zzzzz,zzzzzzzzzz. Oh thats just me getting ready to post. I have a question about the click pawl reels. Besides nostalgia, what is the draw? It seems like they aren't the best tool for the job. I've seen many fish farmed out to "ratchety drag syndrome" of which the CP can be guilty of. I think they are way cool, but If I am trying to bring a fish to hand I reach for the buttery smooth drag of my Lamson. Just curious what ya'll think!

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I'll bite. I'm not sure what "ratchety drag syndrome" is, something like "herky jerky drag syndrome"? Aren't fly reels for trout simply line holders and drags aren't important? I read that on the internet.

I much prefer reels like your Lamson (I have several old Lamson LP's - dip them in the lake and their drag becomes free spool unless you get the drag modified: Archuleta) and several of the first Guru series (flawless reels). But - I have several types of the click spring and pawl reels. One is a Hardy I fish with my bamboo rod where even a Lake Lenore Lahontan can make the reel click, another is a Battenkill I fish with my 3-weight glass rod; sweet, but a big trout or an over zealous strip of line and the reel could almost backlash.

A fly reel is a tool. For most trout fishing - they just hold the line and almost any click spring and pawl will work well.

Good post, welcome to the forum/Patrick

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Zzzzzzzzz, zzzzz,zzzzzzzzzz. Oh thats just me getting ready to post. I have a question about the click pawl reels. Besides nostalgia, what is the draw? It seems like they aren't the best tool for the job. I've seen many fish farmed out to "ratchety drag syndrome" of which the CP can be guilty of. I think they are way cool, but If I am trying to bring a fish to hand I reach for the buttery smooth drag of my Lamson. Just curious what ya'll think!
Very few failures in a CP.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
The sound and the hand palming adds an element of fun to me.

Also, I’ve never smoked a click reel, but I’ve smoked or experienced failures with Lamsons (and Galvans, Hatches, Nautiluses, Orvises, Sages, and one Ross). Like my Tibors, if I ever have an issue with one, though, I’m also fairly confident I could keep fishing the reel after about 5 minutes of work with a penny/key/pocket knife.

All of my fly lines are spooled on either a Hardy Marquis #6, CFO III, IV, or a Battenkill. I set the spring tension to the lowest setting. I've caught Brown Trout from 10" to 20" that rarely try to take line off the reel, where even an 8" Rainbow will make them sing a little.
I only fish for trout in tailwaters, and freestones here in Idaho. My main reason for using a classic spring and pawl reel is I prefer to look at them versus a modern flying saucer looking gizmo.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm not a click pawl guy. Mainly cause of availability and cost. I would own some old ones and not miss the drag if we're talking a steelhead reel. You don't need lots and the simplicity of the machine is attractive to a luddite like myself.

flybill

Life of the Party
I love the sound. And remember for decades or longer they were the best of the best.

Let me ask you a question, regardless of the fish species, large or small.. how often do you actually fight a fish on the reel? Seriously? Salmon, steelhead, trout, bass, carp or whatever you chase here in WA and the PNW.

Most of the time, I'm stripping in line, single handed or double handed and when a fish hits, I might have 30 or 40 feet of line below me.. maybe more.. i used to try and get the fish on the reel, but now don't really bother, unless the fish is hot and makes a run or two.. it has happened, but not often.. and I've lost fish trying to get the line on the reel to use the reel to fight a fish.

So in short.. does the reel reelly matter? Yes, for some and maybe to balance the rod.. but the rod itself and a good line or two matched to it makes all of the difference! I've been a casting instructor and worked in the industry off and on for 15 years.. taught a ton of students and always point out to noobs that the reel is the least important part of the setup they buy!

So that's my point of view.. I would say most of us that have done this a while have come to the same conclusion.. and I love an older reel like a Hardy or Plueger.. I have a Hardy St John, an old Orvis Battenkill and others.. I also have modern bad assed reels that I use less and less.. but that's me!

Cheers!
Bill

Last edited:

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Those Hardy Marquis reels have some good fish catching music to them. It let's all the other anglers know "you got one" for a mile radius.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Love my old Perfects and in some 40 years of hooking a bunch of BC steelhead never had one fail. To be candid, it kinda makes me retch a little bit to look down on a fine rod and see something that appears to have fallen off a mountain bike.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I love the sound. And remember for decades or longer they were the best of the best.

Let me ask you a question, regardless of the fish species, large or small.. how often do you actually fight a fish on the reel? Seriously? Salmon, steelhead, trout, bass, carp or whatever you chase here in WA and the PNW.

Most of the time, I'm stripping in line, single handed or double handed and when a fish hits, I might have 30 or 40 feet of line below me.. maybe more.. i used to try and get the fish on the reel, but now doing really bother, unless the fish is hot and makes a run or two.. it has happened, but not often.. and I've lost fish trying to get the line on the reel to use the reel to fight a fish.

So in short.. does the reel reelly matter? Yes, for some and maybe to balance the rod.. but the rod itself and a good line or two matched to it makes all of the difference! I've been a casting instructor and worked in the industry off and on for 15 years.. taught a ton of students and always point out to noobs that the reel is the least important part of the setup they buy!

So that's my point of view.. I would say most of us that have done this a while have come to the same conclusion.. and I love an older reel like a Hardy or Plueger.. I have a Hardy St John, an old Orvis Battenkill and others.. I also have modern bad assed reels that I use less and less.. but that's me!

Cheers!
Bill
I haven't wet a line for steelhead for maybe six or seven years now and I mostly agree that for the average steelhead, the reel is a line holder, until it isn't and it's needed to have some drag and backing (go ahead, ask me how I know). For carp, when you hook one over ten pounds and the lake (or river) is 70F or warmer, you will hear your backing knot go out the tip top. For these brutes I do want a smooth drag and I want to be able to quickly spool line back onto the reel. But that's me! ;-)

3.jpg

Once upon a time I managed to hook (and land) a 40" steelhead, I had this Orvis CFO-VI on my spey rod. There's 300 yards of backing on the reel, half of that was gone before I could get out of the run and start running down the bank chasing the fish. That was 2003 and I can still hear the reel.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter

Most of the time, I'm stripping in line, single handed or double handed and when a fish hits, I might have 30 or 40 feet of line below me.. maybe more.. i used to try and get the fish on the reel, but now doing really bother, unless the fish is hot and makes a run or two.. it has happened, but not often.. and I've lost fish trying to get the line on the reel to use the reel to fight a fish.

Cheers!
Bill
About 15-25 days a year I’m fighting fish that need a burly reel and I couldn't land the ones I'm targeting without one. Maybe someone else could, but not me.

About 200-230 days a year I'm using clickers.

So.,,6-7% of the time I do, 93% of the time I don't—worldwide. Certainly backs up your assertion, imho.

Last edited:

flybill

Life of the Party
I haven't wet a line for steelhead for maybe six or seven years now and I mostly agree that for the average steelhead, the reel is a line holder, until it isn't and it's needed to have some drag and backing (go ahead, ask me how I know). For carp, when you hook one over ten pounds and the lake (or river) is 70F or warmer, you will hear your backing knot go out the tip top. For these brutes I do want a smooth drag and I want to be able to quickly spool line back onto the reel. But that's me! ;-)

View attachment 92466

Once upon a time I managed to hook (and land) a 40" steelhead, I had this Orvis CFO-VI on my spey rod. There's 300 yards of backing on the reel, half of that was gone before I could get out of the run and start running down the bank chasing the fish. That was 2003 and I can still hear the reel.
Oh I know it can happen when you fight a big assed fish, but I always tell myself how did the old timers do it? I love bamboo rods, have 5.. old fiberglass, have 3 or 4, and lots of old reels.. will take a picture sometime soon!

I'm going to get my first bamboo spey next year from David Reid in ID.. about a year wait.. and probably build my first bamboo rod with Bill Oyster down in GA.. spend a week building it, and then fish with him and the class! That won't suck!

RCF

Life of the Party
I prefer to have a reel with drag. The main (only?) purpose is to prevent backlashes so it is set real soft/light. Only need it when one of those 'Runaway freight train' trout hammer a streamer. I always palm my reel when that occurs.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
View attachment 92466

Where were you fishing Pat? That sounds awesome, fish of a lifetime, for sure! Would love to see a pic if you have one.

Clam Gun

Just Hatched
What do you guys think about this video starting at about 1:28, is this the reel causing the undulation in the rod tip? can you back off the drag to fight a fish in a smoother fashion

flybill

Life of the Party
What do you guys think about this video starting at about 1:28, is this the reel causing the undulation in the rod tip? can you back off the drag to fight a fish in a smoother fashion

I don't think the reel or any undulation in the rod caused him to lose the fish! So many factors, and sometimes things have to go just right to land a big or hot fish! Shit happens! IMHO!